Poor Listening Skills

That’s great to hear, Mehy. Your feedback is so much more worth than any amount of money. Thank you very much. By the way, can you read this transcription by Marc?

3 Likes

Welcome to our forum Frizost. :+1:

1 Like

Torsten and Marc,
How much is effective for listening skill if I listen to an audio file as I read its tapescript simultaneously? Please share your idea.

3 Likes

Based on my experience it can be very effective and useful if you keep a healthy mix of methods.

3 Likes

I got through this. Have you got any idea to improve words’ syllable? And does syllabus of words undergo different accents, mostly British and American?

3 Likes

To answer your question better it would be good for me to know what exactly your goals are. Do you want to become a linguist, a translator, a writer or something similar?

3 Likes

It is ok. In speaking, a speaker should know which letter of a word has a syllable, to pronounce it correctly. To engage to that, I will understand and speak accurately. It will help me to pay more attention to intonations, I suppose. It is not a bad idea to be an oral translator.

3 Likes

You probably mean ‘syllable’ and not ‘syllabus’.

3 Likes

My bad. Sorry. Yes, You are right. Edited.
:pensive:

2 Likes

I’m waiting for your view about my previous question.

3 Likes

I’m not quite sure what you mean. A letter is the smallest unit of a word. Some words have only one letter such as “I” and “a”. A syllable has at least two letters (at least in my book). If a word has more than two syllables one of them is stressed. Maybe you are referring to stress?

3 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

I totally agree with Torsten. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @Kohyoongliat,

I would like to ask you a favour. Could you also make a recording in English, like a few us have done, so that we can also hear your accent. We would really appreciate it, wouldn’t we @Torsten, @Andrea,@Mehy,@Alan,@Tamar

4 Likes

Thank you @Tamar.

Love,

Marc

1 Like

Hi Marc,
Long time. No chat! :wink:
I try to share my voice that I transcript them from different sources. I just need to know something. What is your purpose of collecting voices?

3 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

The purpose is to let people know they should never be afraid to speak a foreign language, even with a accent. The French have been doing it for centuries and they still don’t mind using their voiced uvular r, it’s a sort of trill, a consonantal sound. But they shouldn’t mind, it’s part of their nature. Have you ever watched films such as ‘Death on the Nile’ with the Belgian, French speaking detective Hercule Poirot? Well if you have, he speaks English using a uvular r, it’s produced at the back of the throat as you can see in the following video:

I’m sure you have an accent when you speak English or any other language. People will never laugh at you when you try to speak their language, whatever accent you have. So another purpose is to make people speak English or any other foreign language without being scared that someone might laugh at them. I assure you in this day and age nobody will laugh at people trying to speak or speaking a foreign language.

a trill: a sound that is made by very small, quick movements of one of the organs used in speech
Source: Cambridge Dictionary Online.

I hope I’ve been able to help you , dear Mehrdad. You’re such an angel. :angel:

5 Likes

I just want to add something to what Marc has said - people who will laugh at you for speaking a foreign language incorrectly are usually not very nice people, so you shouldn’t pay much attention to their opinions. The only competition you should be in is in a competition with yourself, so you’re constantly trying to improve.

Also, welcome to the forum! We’re glad to have you here.

5 Likes

Thank you @Sumejja, that’s true!

3 Likes

I try to upload my voice here if you and mentor do not mind. My pleasure!

4 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

I’m sure he doesn’t, on the contrary, he’s looking forward to it as we all are, but since this project was his idea, I’m sure he’ll be very happy. Just do it. Good luck.

3 Likes