Poor Listening Skills

Hi Mehrdad,

I forgot to tell you I like people who put one’s money where one’s mouth is! :+1:
The expression means to translate one’s words into deeds.

2 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

By the way, did you know that cinnamon is the brown powder made from the hard covering of a tropical tree? It is used as a spice to give a particular taste to food, especially sweet food. Now look below, the sweets you see in the photo are not called bonnies, but… You can look that up.

When you write the plural form of a noun, never use apostrophe 's, so ‘lady - ladies’

3 Likes

Here is what Nicole says: “I think I’ll go for a slice of carrot cake, thanks”.

4 Likes

Thanks for your confirmation, Torsten. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the french expressions. I have heard Bonjour means Hello or Good day, but you wrote it means Good afternoon. You know more! I just told you what I heard. It is my pleasure to catch more. Thanks :cherry_blossom: :pray:

3 Likes

You know you’re always welcome. Your perseverance is really admirable! And as I’ve already said and will say again: ‘whenever you have a language problem, do not hesitate to knock on my door.’ You’re a wonderful scholar. Bravo, that’s opera for well done. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: and many more.

3 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

Take a look at the following listening exercise: https://en.islcollective.com/video-lessons/william-shakespeare-biography
It’s a wonderful exercise. Just click on the link and you’ll be redirected to the page.

3 Likes

Hi dear mentor,

I enjoyed reading and listening the article. Yes, of course, I need to activate such a natural device god embedded in my mind. Your voice and speaking style is lovely and understandable unlike other native speakers, like Hollywood films’ actors, who usually speaking unclearly. I should listen over and over again to your audio file regarding the subconscious-related mind article. I learnt I have to expose and submerge myself in audio files, what I believed it before, but it , to me, is incomplete process. In other words, exposing in English material, specially listening files, is a part of learning process. I have listened many files but sometimes I do not understand well native speakers. I guess the transcript method is stepped forward listening development, and I have to do more practice indeed. As an English learner, I think this is still imperfect procedure cus in transcription I spilt the whole talk into pieces-sentence by sentence or often phrase to phrase- actually I focus on unclear part that I do not understand the message of the talk in the end. In fact, the method just sharpens my ears, but if you ask me what you learnt from an audio, I would be shameful. Anyway, this is a development in listening skill. I just shared my view and predicaments I face.

I have a another problem in listening that I wanted to share with you. When I listen to a long speech or talk, I lose my concentration in the middle of listening. Something is brain-distracting.

Please share another article do you have. And if you have practical steps for activating subconscious mind to boosting language learning, I will appreciate.

Have a nice day!

3 Likes

Hi Marc,
I found it interesting. It needs more concentration that I am suffering from it, but I try to do my best.
Have a great day.

2 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

Thanks for taking an interest in it. I must admit this was a little more difficult, but keep on trying! :+1:
Keep safe and sound and have a nice day.

2 Likes

Expand your vocabulary. The more words you know, the better you will understand people. It takes some time for your ears to get used to the pronunciation. You know, even native speakers sometimes find difficult to understand people from other countries. Just keep going and you’ll manage!

4 Likes

My vocab range is at an acceptable level. For example, one of the audio files here the boy said a slice of carrot cake. Do you think I did not know the “slice” word? It is not true if you think of it. Anyway, thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

You’re absolutely right. It means ‘Good Day or Hello’, because ‘Good afternoon’ is ‘Bon après-midi’. My mistake, sorry.

3 Likes

Hi Marc, my dear friend. Long time no see! :slightly_smiling_face:
It is alright. Thank you let me know. :cherry_blossom: :pray:

3 Likes

I think you mean Nicole who is a girl, not a boy :wink:

3 Likes

oh my god! really? I thought it is a boy. So sorry! :pray:

2 Likes

It’s Nicole, Andreas daughter:

3 Likes

Dear mentor, Torsten,
I love your website. Here is the best spot to solve English problems. I committed myself to transcript an English audio file on a regular basis, as far as I can.
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi, once again,

I had no doubt whatsoever. It was simply your perception that went a bit wrong. It’s nothing to be worried about, because we all have this happening to us from time to time, native speakers as well as non-native speakers.

• Perception: the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.

However, Frizost has a point in the sense that it is best to expand one’s vocabulary on a regular basis! In fact, one does it all the time: watching films, listening to songs, reading and ofcourse posting messages on english.best. I hope I’ve been able to shed some light on his post.

Have a nice and healthy weekend and keep up the good work. :+1:

3 Likes

:grinning: This is funny!

2 Likes