Poor Listening Skills

Hi Sir/Madam,
For a couple of years, I have been listening to different sources, such as podcasts, but I did not have a considerable improvement in listening skill. I do not understand seminar speech and even news like BBC.
Could you please give me a hand to improve it?
Thanks a lot

4 Likes

Hi Mehy, welcome to our forum. Letā€™s do a little test. Please every sentence you hear in this recording as exactly as you can:

4 Likes

Thank you, sir.
:cherry_blossom: :cherry_blossom: :cherry_blossom:

Please check the text out below:
Hi everyone. My name is Shaun. I am 30 years old. I am from Irland, and my first language is English. Also, I do speak ā€¦ a second language, so I understand that sometimes it can be difficult. I found that the best thing to do is to watch films, read books, and listen to music in the language that I am learning. You do not always understand everything, but sometimes understanding the contexts. Really helps you understand the content. I hope this helps. Thank you very much.

4 Likes

You did an excellent job. There are only a few minor things I had to change and you can see them below. Also, if you like you can continue with the next recording:

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Anderiana. I am a mom to two beautiful kids. I am also a teacher. I know what is like to learn a second language as well as a third language. I know the challenges that you face. Just you mean work. We learn a new language it is ok to make mistakes. You really do not have to worry. So something that you can do, for example, learn new words, phrases, idioms, and also do a lot of reading. And if you can find someone, just speak to, that would be great too. So just key practising and good luck with your learning.

I heard key practicing, but logically it would be ā€œkeep practicingā€!

4 Likes

Yes, Andrea says ā€˜keep practisingā€™ not ā€˜key practisingā€™. You are making progress, so keep up the good work. Here is you next assignment:

4 Likes

@Mehy - Welcome to our forum. :wink: Thank you for listening to my recording. You did a fantastic job! Well done. :hugs:

Iā€™m not sure if I was clear enough at the beginning of this recording. Please take a look below:

It should be: ā€œHi, my name is Andrea and Iā€™m a mum to two beautiful kids.ā€

An interesting fact:

Both my kids were born in the UK and to them Iā€™ve always been ā€œmumā€. So, even though we moved to South Africa, this still remains. As I was born in South Africa, I call my own mother, ā€œmomā€. Seems strange I know! :wink:

5 Likes

Dear Andrea,

Nice to meet you, lady! :pray: God bless your pretty children. Thank you so much for the energy you gave me. :cherry_blossom: I am not a mother, but I am sure being a mother is a big world.

Regarding the listening files Torsten kindly shared with me to evaluate my aural skill, I listened to them at least twice. When a speech or listening track file is long, I lose my concentration, or maybe I am unfamiliar with different pronunciations or tones are collectively impact my comprehension. My professor is German and my colleagues are Chinese and I have some buddies come from different countries, and when I listen to BBC news or even podcast I do not catch some keywords or hear similar words to the real one. Anyway, I have not overcome the problem so far. Honestly, in many seminars, my understanding is unacceptable. I found this nice website newly. It seems a great spot for all English learners throughout the world. I hope I get some tricks and remedies to brush up this crucial skill.
Take care
Mehy

4 Likes

Hi and welcome! my name is Tomar and I am a native English speaker. I really admire and appreciate when others as an additional language because frankly learning another language can be quite challenging. Each language has own instruction words, sounds and accents that can be difficult ā€¦ and so one thing I 'd like to tell you learning Eglish is it takes time and tons of practice. Ask myself, I have learnt other languages too, and so I learnt to speak Spanish over the last several years, and I am currently learning Portuguese. Do not can be intimating to native speakers of your target language. It learnt can be shinny to notice others ā€¦goals. As well, you have to find creative way practicing ENGLISH what you want to improve. For example, some of the creative ways I contiue to practice and meeting my labo Spanish includes watching Spanish movies and TV shows on Neflex, reading books in Spanish, talking to myself in Spanish. Yes, you would be right! and speaking with other Spanish speakers weather online or in-person. I intetive you Portuguese. so weather you add English journey, take hard. Learning English is a process, and do not give up. I wish you the best.

I think she says ā€¦my level of Spanish, not labo Spanish: But I typed what I heard.
I think she said ā€œYes, you are rightā€, not yes, you would be right.

This one took a bit more energy to understand. I have some missing parts in the text above.

4 Likes

@Mehy. Dear Mehy, Thank you so much for your message. Youā€™re welcome. :wink:

Itā€™s a great way to practice listening skills. The key is to practice everyday. Repetition is really important. Listening to the radio, music or watching tv will help to develop listening skills. There are many accents out there so I can understand people differ in the way they speak. Just donā€™t panic, itā€™s ok to make mistakes. Keep positive and you will improve. :blush::hugs:

Take care, Andrea

5 Likes

Hi @Mehy! Thanks for listening to my recording. Here is the correct transcript for my post. Iā€™ve bolded certain areas that seem to cause you some difficulty.

Hi and welcome. My name is Tamar and Iā€™m a native English speaker. I really admire and appreciate when others learn English as an additional language because frankly, learning another language can be quite challenging. Each language has its own structure, words, sounds, and accents that can be very different from your own native tongue and so one thing I like to tell others who are learning English is that it takes time and tons of practice. As for myself, I love learning languages too and so, Iā€™ve learned to speak Spanish over the last several years and I am currently learning Portuguese. Though it can be intimidating to speak to a native speaker of your target language, Iā€™ve learned that you canā€™t be shy in reaching out to others and getting the help you need if you want to achieve your language-learning goals. As well, you have to find creative ways of practicing English if you want to improve. For example, some of the creative ways I continue to practice and maintain my level in Spanish includes watching Spanish movies and T.V. shows on Netflix, reading books in Spanish, talking to myself in Spanish (yes, you heard right), and speaking with other native Spanish speakers whether online or in person. I intend to do the same with Portuguese. So, whatever level youā€™re at in your English-learning journey, take-heart. Learning English is a process, but donā€™t give up. I wish you the best!

You did a great job with my recording, Mehy! I know how challenging audio recording exercises can be. I just wanted to point out that there are two words that sound the same but are different in meaning and spelling:

1. Whether: indicates a doubt or choice between alternatives.
  2. Weather: refers to temperature, or whether itā€™s cloudy or sunny, etc.

Keep up the good work. Youā€™re doing great! :smiley:

5 Likes

@Tamar, thank you so much for your quick response. Itā€™s great to know there are people like you who are helping others learn languages and gain more self-confidence in the process. You are a real gem :wink:

@Mehy, if you like you can transcribe this message from Andreaā€™s daughter Nicole because it too will help you boost your self-confidence. I mean, isnā€™t it a great feeling to be surrounded by like-minded people, especially in times like these?

5 Likes

Hi dear Tamar,
Appreciate for the correction and helping. Your speaking is so fluent and nice.
It is good to know you.
Best regard,
Mehy (Mehrdad)

5 Likes

Thank you so much.
After these threads, you know my mistakes and hotspot weakness in listening skill. What you recommend is appreciated.
Thanks a zillion,
Mehy (Mehrdad)

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Nicole and I am twelve years old. I was born in England, but I moved to South Arica four years ago. I have to learn ā€¦ as a new subject and language. So do not worry. I have also been there. I have a few tips for you. Number one: always be in yourself. Number two: learn every day and almost always do your best.

4 Likes

Hi again, there are only a few small things:

Hi, my name is Nicole and Iā€™m (please remember this one the next time since it will occur on a regular basis) twelve years old. I was born in England, but I moved to South Africa (please use a spell checker or just Chrome to avoid typos like this) four years ago. I had (simple past) to learn Afrikaans (one of the main languages spoken in South Africa) as a new subject and language. So do not worry. I have also been there. I have a few tips for you. Number one: always believe in yourself. Number two: learn about every day and number three: always do your best.

So, letā€™s see if you are up for your next challenge. Here is Alanā€™s recordingā€¦

4 Likes

I am so sorry! No fair of being nervous about speaking a foreign language. My only my masterā€™s admission foreign language desire how learned is German. I well remember when I was at school. I learned all endings, all tenses right, I had the desire whether the verb whether the words Masculin, Feminine or Neutral and the came time I actually left home went to stay in Germany for three months and I well remember very the first time I use the language. I was terrified as I get something wrong and people would laugh (at) me, but that never happens. I was delighted that they actually understood me and I understood them and it was a wonderful feeling [or feeding :neutral_face: ]. And I realized as I get older that when people listen to some of the foreign accents they accepted> whatā€™s the problem? So never ever be afraid of speaking another language because itā€™s a wonderful way to communicate with the rest of the world.

3 Likes

Hi, again you did an excellent job with this transcript and Iā€™m sure @Alan will agree. Here is my version which is only slightly different than yours:

Thereā€™s absolutely no fear of being nervous about speaking a foreign language. My only ā€“ I must admit, this is an admission ā€“ the foreign language I have learned is German. I well remember, when I was at school I learned all the endings, I got all the tenses right, I had to decide whether the word was masculine, feminine or neuter and then there came the time when I actually left home and went to stay in Germany for three months and I well remember the very first time I used the language. I was terrified that I would get something wrong and that people would laugh at me but that never happened. I was delighted that they actually understood me and I understood them and it was a wonderful feeling. And you realize as you get older that when people listen to someone with a foreign accent they just accept it. Whatā€™s the problem? So, never ever be afraid of speaking another language because itā€™s a wonderful way to communicate with the rest of the world.

3 Likes

No one can deny that last sentence. :heart:

3 Likes

Spot on,Torsten. You got it down to the last dot. Do you need any more?

4 Likes