Poor Listening Skills

oh my god! really? I thought it is a boy. So sorry! :pray:

2 Likes

It’s Nicole, Andreas daughter:

3 Likes

Dear mentor, Torsten,
I love your website. Here is the best spot to solve English problems. I committed myself to transcript an English audio file on a regular basis, as far as I can.
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi, once again,

I had no doubt whatsoever. It was simply your perception that went a bit wrong. It’s nothing to be worried about, because we all have this happening to us from time to time, native speakers as well as non-native speakers.

• Perception: the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.

However, Frizost has a point in the sense that it is best to expand one’s vocabulary on a regular basis! In fact, one does it all the time: watching films, listening to songs, reading and ofcourse posting messages on english.best. I hope I’ve been able to shed some light on his post.

Have a nice and healthy weekend and keep up the good work. :+1:

3 Likes

:grinning: This is funny!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear, Mehy. Your feedback is so much more worth than any amount of money. Thank you very much. By the way, can you read this transcription by Marc?

3 Likes

Welcome to our forum Frizost. :+1:

1 Like

Torsten and Marc,
How much is effective for listening skill if I listen to an audio file as I read its tapescript simultaneously? Please share your idea.

3 Likes

Based on my experience it can be very effective and useful if you keep a healthy mix of methods.

3 Likes

I got through this. Have you got any idea to improve words’ syllable? And does syllabus of words undergo different accents, mostly British and American?

3 Likes

To answer your question better it would be good for me to know what exactly your goals are. Do you want to become a linguist, a translator, a writer or something similar?

3 Likes

It is ok. In speaking, a speaker should know which letter of a word has a syllable, to pronounce it correctly. To engage to that, I will understand and speak accurately. It will help me to pay more attention to intonations, I suppose. It is not a bad idea to be an oral translator.

3 Likes

You probably mean ‘syllable’ and not ‘syllabus’.

3 Likes

My bad. Sorry. Yes, You are right. Edited.
:pensive:

2 Likes

I’m waiting for your view about my previous question.

3 Likes

I’m not quite sure what you mean. A letter is the smallest unit of a word. Some words have only one letter such as “I” and “a”. A syllable has at least two letters (at least in my book). If a word has more than two syllables one of them is stressed. Maybe you are referring to stress?

3 Likes

Hi Mehrdad,

I totally agree with Torsten. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @Kohyoongliat,

I would like to ask you a favour. Could you also make a recording in English, like a few us have done, so that we can also hear your accent. We would really appreciate it, wouldn’t we @Torsten, @Andrea,@Mehy,@Alan,@Tamar

4 Likes

Thank you @Tamar.

Love,

Marc

1 Like

Hi Marc,
Long time. No chat! :wink:
I try to share my voice that I transcript them from different sources. I just need to know something. What is your purpose of collecting voices?

3 Likes