Writing task 2 essay - I wonder your feedback and estimated Band Score according to current rating system. Also, I believe that this essay will help other people who prepare for IELTS exam

Hi everyone. I hope you are fine. I wrote this essay last night. I hope it can be beneficial for you. I am waiting for your feedback and estimated band score, too. @Torsten @tim_m @Sumejja

It is generally thought that if women decide having a baby, they have to look after their children. Fathers are ignored about raising a child. I completely disagree this argument.

First of all, father, who play a vital role in a family, considered to be a breadwinner in many countries and most people believe that fatherhood is extremely important as much as motherhood. Children need to their father while they are growing. In other words, children who grow up without their father feel themselves like uncomplete. As a result, they can be very upset and hopeless individuals in their future life. For instance, children, who are brought up only by their mother, can encounter psychological problems in their adolescence according to recent survey of Harvard University. Therefore, fatherhood should be considered to be essential for children’s psychological development.

When comes to motherhood, I believe that it is the most valuable thing in the world. However, motherhood does not give a right to mothers about caring for alone their child. There is no doubt that fathers should take care of their baby, too. Children’s requirements ought to be afforded well by their parents and the best way for that is raising the children together. Also, children should be educated at the best school because children’s education should be the most crucial topic for their parents. That can be achieved thanks to a good father. To put it another way, father, who believe that importance of family, can provide a nice life standard to his baby while contributing to his home. The good illustration of this, the child can be sent to a school, which is the best but has an expensive fee, when the father took responsibility.

In conclusion, despite some people believe that women can take care of their baby all alone, I think that the baby should be raise with baby’s mother and father. This is important because of baby’s psychology, needs as well as future life.

1 Like

I completely disagree with this argument.

2 Likes

I realised that I forgot adding it. Thank you very much @Torsten What do you think about band score?

2 Likes

Please rephrase the following sentence to make it sound more natural. As for your band, it’s difficult for me to judge because IELTS is too far removed from reality but if you do insist on getting a ballpark estimate I would say somewhere between 4 and 6.

2 Likes

Thank you sir. Can I write like “It is generally thought that if women decide having a baby, they have to look after their children and fathers are disregarded during this period. I completely disagree with this argument.”? @Torsten

2 Likes

Yes, that’s better. Now, please rewrite the following sentence.

2 Likes

“Children want to stay with their father throughout their juvenescence time.”

2 Likes

Hi @Memo34! I’m just checking in to tell you I’ll write out a detailed response to your writing task later today. Just one general piece of advice: I see you’re using needlessly complicated words, like “juvenescence.” I also tend to use such words, probably too often, and I can tell you from experience that it’s better to stick with simpler ones. More people will understand you, and you don’t have to build a huge vocabulary before you actually need it, depending on your career path or similar.

There’s also the problem of “big” words having connotations that do not necessarily correspond to what you’re trying to say. Finding an explanation for possible hidden meanings online or in textbooks can be hard, and I find that a lot of that understanding comes with learning the language so well that you gain “feeling” for it. But to get there, you have to start from the beginning. That “feeling” comes after you’ve immersed yourself both in the language and the culture(s) surrounding it, which can take a pretty long time.

3 Likes

Thank you @Sumejja for your advice. I am waiting for your detailed response. By the way, I will take an IELTS exam 3 months for now and I wonder can I succeed? Because my essays’ band score always is between 5 and 6.

3 Likes

It is generally thought that if women decide having a baby

This should be “if women decide to have a baby.”

Fathers are ignored about raising a child.

This is… just not well said, at all. First, it should be “fathers are ignored when raising a child.” But I know that this is not the message you’re trying to convey. What you’re actually saying is that they don’t have as much responsibility as mothers do. If you want to keep a similar sentence, then, “Fathers are ignored in the matter of raising children.” But I’d rephrase it completely to say something like, “Society places less responsibility on fathers as far as child-rearing is concerned.”

First of all, father, who play a vital role in a family

It should be either “fathers, who play a vital role…” or “father, who plays a vital role…” In other words, you’re either using the plural of father (so there’s no need for s at the end of the verb) or the singular father (in which case, the third-person singular has to end in -s, so he plays a vital role).

considered to be a breadwinner in many countries

is considered to be a breadwinner in many countries

and most people believe that fatherhood is extremely important , as much as motherhood.

Added a comma there to make the meaning clearer.

Children need to their father while they are growing up.

“To” is incorrect. It’s just “children need their father.” Also, growing up is the process of becoming an adult. Just growing is the process of becoming bigger.

In other words, children who grow up without their father feel themselves like uncomplete.

“In other words, children who grow up without their father feel incomplete.”
First, you don’t “feel yourself.” You just “feel” a certain way. Those are the dangers of literal translation :slight_smile:
Also, the correct form is “incomplete.” It means “missing something.” You may have been thinking about “uncompleted,” which means “something slated for completion but not completed.” As you can see, “incomplete” is the adjective you were looking for here.

As a result, they can be very upset and hopeless individuals in their future life.

Again, poor phrasing. “Upset” and “hopeless” are not adjectives I’d use together. “Upset” is what you feel in a moment; “hopeless” is a more general feeling. I’d say more like, “they can be very unhappy and hopeless individuals in the future.” As for the second part, “in their future life,” it’s not incorrect, but it’s also not something a fluent English speaker would say. I’d just go with “in the future.”

can encounter psychological problems in their adolescence , according to a recent survey by Harvard University

Added a comma because that information is non-essential, and you’d pause for breath there if you were reading out loud. Also added “a,” since it’s a single survey you’re referring to, and it was done by Harvard University – it’s not done of Harvard University. It’s just a shortened passive form.

Therefore, fatherhood should be considered to be essential for children’s psychological development.

Remove “to be.” It’s not necessarily incorrect, but it sounds much better when you say just “considered essential.”

When comes to motherhood

When what comes to motherhood? The correct form is “when it comes to motherhood.” You’re answering the question of “what” that I asked (no matter how dumb that question sounded when you first read it) by replying, “it.” Alternatively, you can just remember that “when it comes to” is a phrase that is always used in this form.

motherhood does not give the right to mothers

You’re not referring to some vague right – you’re talking about a concrete right, so it’s “the,” not “a.”

the right to mothers about caring for alone their child.

Everything is wrong here. First, the word placement. It should say, “caring alone for their child.” But a right cannot be given “about.” It’s always given to someone, to do something. That becomes “… the right to mothers to care alone for their child.” Using “to” also changes the verb’s tense to infinitive, as you probably noticed.

But there’s also the matter of meaning. In fact, yes, motherhood does give mothers the right to care for their child by themselves, as evidenced by a number of single mothers, no matter what their circumstances are. What you seem to be trying to say is that they shouldn’t be forced to care for their children alone. In that case, you can say something like, “motherhood does not force mothers to care for their child alone.” Remember, you can get everything correct in terms of grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary, but still not convey your meaning properly. Unfortunately, that’s a common problem for many learners.

There is no doubt that fathers should take care of their baby, too.

“Baby” should be plural, ie “babies.” Otherwise it sounds like there is more than one father taking care of a single baby. What you want to say is that each father should take care of his own baby, which means there are multiple babies.

Children’s requirements ought to be afforded well by their parents , and the best way for that is raising the children together.

You’re connecting two independent sentences here, so there should be a comma. Also, children don’t really have “requirements” – that’s a word we mostly use for inanimate objects, like hardware requirements to run a game. Generally speaking, humans have “needs.”

Also, children should be educated at the best school because children’s education should be the most crucial topic for their parents.

First, it should be “schools.” Otherwise you’re implying there is only one school in the world that is the best, and all children should be educated there. We know that’s impossible, so we use the phrase “the best schools” to refer to the schools that are better, relatively speaking, than the others in the vicinity.

Also, it’s either “a crucial topic” or “the most important topic.” The word “crucial” is already superlative, so adding “most” doesn’t work there (it’s like saying, “the most best food.”) But I appreciate that you use “crucial” correctly, so you can stick with it.

To put it another way, father, who believe that importance of family, can provide a nice life standard to his baby while contributing to his home.

It should be “a father.” It’s a countable noun. In that case, it should be “believes” – see above. Additionally, you can’t believe “that importance.” You can either “believe that family is important” or “believe in the importance of family.” Stick with the second one if you want to keep the sentence close to the original.

The good illustration of this, the child can be sent to a school, which is the best but has an expensive fee, when the father took responsibility.

“A good illustration…” because it’s not the only illustration. You’re just showing an example and there are many more out there. Let me correct the whole sentence: “a good illustration of this is that the child can be sent to the best school that is also expensive when the father takes responsibility.” It’s slightly shorter, sounds better overall, and you’re staying consistent in terms of tense. If a child “can be sent” somewhere, then the father “takes” responsibility. You have to keep the same tense everywhere.

despite some people believe

It’s “despite some people believing.” You have to add -ing to the verb when you’re using “despite.”

women can take care of their baby

Women can take care of their babies. Same as above – it’s not one baby and several women, it’s many babies and their mothers. Both should be plural.

I think that the baby should be raise

“Should be raised.” Passive form uses past participle.

2 Likes

Phew, that took a while! I think three months is plenty of time, but you definitely have to study more. It’s not just about writing the essay, because I think you know the basics there. It’s more about learning the basics. When I’m correcting your essays, I notice many different types of mistakes. A good way to study would be to go back to more basic concepts and ask in the forum whatever you want to know. That way, we can focus on everything you want explained. But when you post an essay, I can’t go into depth about everything.

One thing that always helped me learn a foreign language was watching movies with subtitles in the same language (we learned Turkish in high school that way!) Try putting on a movie you’ve always wanted to see with English subtitles. You can follow the conversation both by listening and by reading. Many rules of the language become easier to remember because you get a better feeling of what sounds correct and what sounds wrong.

Also, definitely keep working. Don’t let our corrections discourage you. It’s better that we show you where your mistakes lie, so you can work on correcting them, than to lead you to believe that everything is okay. Every journey begins with a single step :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sumejja, thank you very much for spending the time to analyze Mehmet’s essay and give such detailed feedback and advice. Let’s brainstorm more ideas on what we can do together in order to create a system that enables everything to benefit from their individual contributions. More on that soon in Let’s Work Together

@Memo34, I think Sumejja has given you very sound advice and I’d like to add that a couple of thoughts. First, I recommend you start reading the texts Sumejja and the rest of our team have been creating for you starting with Why We Need Universal Services

Read the article out loud two to three times, answer the reading comprehension questions and then rewrite the article as precisely as possible sharing your results with us here on the forum. The articles are written at level B2-C1 so if you are able to rewrite them at about 80% you are on your path to scoring band 7 and higher on your IELTS exam. Let me know what you think so far and I’ll share the rest of my ideas soon.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Sumejja for spending your time to give the feedback to me. I hope I am better than at the moment thanks to your advice and guidance.

3 Likes

Thank you sir for your leading. I downloaded the article as a pdf, and I will try to rewrite it tonight. I’ll send it to you when I finished it.

3 Likes

Hi @Torsten ! As you said I rewrote the essay. I am waiting for your comments. Here it is.

Why We Need Universal Basic Services

It is widely accepted that taxes, which are collected by government, are used for our lives. This involves the healthcare and education systems, both of which are supplied by the people, who lead the country. Supporters of Universal Basic Services, or UBS think that governments can serve their citizens about more topic such as housing, supplying food, transportation, knowledge (like reach the internet), as well as judicial assistance. If the needs of society are met, people can live as they want. For instance, they can work in area, which have low salary but beneficial mission for the world, or receive better education freely.

Ordinary but having low wage occupations can easily be mechanised, that is already been implementing most countries in the world. There is an important question which asks the number of people who have cured cancer but have to work in difficult jobs for they needs but this question will not be answered forever, it is clear that basic surviving is far from enough optimise society.

Free public housing means people will not pay rent and bills such as electric bill, water bill or natural gas bill; access to good quality and nutrimental food means people will be healthy and achieve their goals; free public transport connotes more encouragement to travel that instead of private cars, which cause the air pollution; free reach to information means chance to self-improvement; free legal aid means everybody is equal in the matter of demanding justice. All of these things, create a society which consist of happier and healthier people who want to share their feelings with others.

3 Likes

Hi @Torsten. What do you think about my writing?

2 Likes

Hi Mehmet, I think you are definitely making progress and I suggest you try to use even shorter sentences than you have in your latest essay. Try to use only phrases you know are standard English. Don’t create too many new phrases and expressions. Use simple words you are familiar with. Also, in addition to summarizing @Sumejja’s essay you might also want to start a discussion about the topic. I would be interested in learning what exactly you think about the concept of universal basic income in combination with universal basic services. Do you think it is feasible in Turkey?

3 Likes

I really want to see universal basic services in my country but I believe that this services may not achieve its goals because most people, who live in Turkey, do not have the merit. So, they can use all of these facilities for their self-interest.

3 Likes

Please note that if the subject (services) is plural everything connected to it should be plural too. (these/those vs this/that, its vs their, etc).

4 Likes