Possessive 's' (Unit 6)

Hello Livia,

Welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for pointing out that typo. Yes, the sentence should read “Today is an exciting day” and I’ve changed it.
Speak to you soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Two exhibition company co-workers discuss logistics of upcoming trade show.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten,
Thanks for your email with unit 6. I have just read the short text and I found out that the red word is posessive s and the blue word mean is.
Thanks
Hanh

The red ‘s’ shows possession (Possessive 's), and blue means “is” (the short form).

hi torsten

this is anju from india.i am writing you a letter where i tell you somthing related to me.i m a very simple person.i like reading books.i have one brother and one sister.my brother is engg.and work for wipro.his name is ravi.ravi’s son name is ish.he’s 3 year old and very naughty.he’s study in nursery class.his teacher name is sara.she’s very preety but married.on the other side my sister she’s doing M.B.A.she’s engaged and her fiance’s name is Ric.ric is also working in a company.this is my small introduction.tell me how do u like?and what mistake’s i have done in this letter.

Good afternoon,dear Mr.Dearr!
I have just read the explanation of possessive ‘s’ and I see the difference bitween the short form of possessive ‘s’ and short form of ‘is’-’`s’.It was very easy for me to see the difference.I can write you an example:

1. My name`s ( is ) Peter and I come from Bulgaria.

2. My mother`s name is Antoanetta. (The name of my mother is Antoanetta.).

Best regards,Peter!

the possessive is red

Em, well, the difference is that the red 's’s (???) are used to express someone’s ‘possesions’.
Her husband’s name is Tom (That isn’t a short form for any word)
On the other hand, the blue ones are used as a short form for is;
She’s a student = She is a student
And, well. That’s it.
Thank you, Rosario.

P.S: I’m in my sixth lesson, and in the test (the one of modal verbs) I made 10 questions out of 10, so that’s great, :slight_smile:
I remember in a test last year I didn’t know that those verbs were called ‘modal verbs’ and I had to complete the blanks with some words so it said, for example:
You … (modal verb + to park) your car here.
And you had to write: You can’t park your car here, and I wrote:
You can’t MODALLY park your car here.
That’s why I didn’t pass the exam. Anyway, I should be quite proud because you entered to the high school with 6.84 and I got a 6.82, and besides there were children who got notes below from 4 and they took a course all the year long and they had read two english books (I was supoussed to read them too, but no one had told me that, actually I had read one of the books, but in spanish, and It was a different version). That’s the reason why I’m quite ‘proud’, because either way… I got a great note!!

Possesive “S” are marked in red colour.

Hello,

The blue one is verb:

She’s = she is
He’s = he is

the red one show the ownership or possession.

Thanks

I think blue ones are the contracted forms and red shows the possessive ‘s’.

What I meant was: the blue ones are the contracted form of verb ‘is’.

Dear Torsten
i think the red one reffer to pessessive and the blue one reffer to tobe verb( short form of is)

Dear Torsten,

Blue is verb to be. Red is possessive. There is Anna’s photo. Anna’s husband is Frank. He is an engineer. Their dauther is Sarah. Sarah is 19.Jeremy is her boyfriend.He is an accountant.

Sincerely
B.Unur,

hello every body,
concerning the blue “s” is the short form of the verb to be in a simple present tense.
but the red one is the possessive; ex: john’s book is red.
it’s red.

Dear Torsten,

In the text possessive “S” is marked red, blue marked “S” is the short form of the verb to be.

I pass the test (modal verbs)and result of it - 4 incorrect of 10.

Best regards
Alla.

Hi torstn,
In this pargrah blue ‘‘s’’ indicate ‘‘is’’ such as ‘‘He’s from England’’ means
‘‘He is from Englan’’
Red ‘‘s’’ is possessive.

dear Torsten,
I did allready read the lesson 6
I think the blue one are abbriated versons of he is becomes he’s
the red ones are posessives forms
her name is becomes name’s

regards
Adi

Hi Torsten Daerr I’m Bahrom. I got your last mail and intend to answer it.
's possesive means that it is possesive.
EX: His friend’s books are in the book shelf. but “is” to be form : She’s teacher

Hello Torsten,
how are you? Everithing fine? I have read the text about possessives and the answers are that the red ones are for the possessives and the blue ones for the simple present of to be. I have also practised the English alphabet, writting down the words spelt. In the test about modal verbs I got 10 out of 10, not too bad, is it ?
Every time you send me the lesson, you ask me to use the forum. I always write something , but I don’t receive any replay, may-be I do something wrong, don’t I ?
Remember that my username is Mara , but I subscribed using my name that is Dora.
Looking forward to the next lesson,
best regards,
Dora

Hi Dora,

Thanks a lot for sharing your learning successes with me. Keep up the great work!
Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: You haven’t registered for the conference yet, have you?[YSaerTTEW443543]