Possessive 's' (Unit 6)

Unit 6 — Possessive «s»

In this unit we are taking at look at the possessive «s». Can you see what it is used for?
Please, read this text to find out:

This is a photo of Anna, her husband and her children. Her husband’[color=red]s name is Frank. He’[color=blue]s an engineer. Her daughter’[color=red]s name is Sarah. She’[color=blue]s 19 and she’[color=blue]s a student. Sarah’[color=red]s boyfriend is an accountant. His name is Jeremy.

So, why is the «s» sometimes [color=red]red and sometimes[color=blue] blue?

I hope you are ready for the Simple Present which you will learn in Unit 7.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: In front of a store[YSaerTTEW443543]

dear torsten,

I think the blue ones are abbreviated versions of
he is --> becomes he’s
she is --> becomes she’s

the red ones show that you have to add -'s to build genitive forms, possessives

f.e.: the boy’s father is working for the government.

I hope there’s (there is) no error involved in naufragis’ examples.

Hi Naufragis,

You got that absolutely right :)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Appliance shopping[YSaerTTEW443543]

maybe it’s your fault … :wink:

I will never forget my english teacher I’ve had at school:

Mrs Brown! she was a polish woman who was married with an englishman - her pronouncation was crude… but she was a very optimistic, funny person.

Dear Torsen,
I’m Albert KHONDE from the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Bas - Congo Province; I’m an english teacher in a Public School, I’m married with two Kids; my Wife is a rag woman she is very kind and amusing. Our two girls are: DIVINE PHONGO and EMERAUDE PHONGO, both are so funny. We enjoy living together in our little family.
I’m very happy to read about your entire courses, but let me tell something that will amaze you. How come you’re so generous to educate people in such an extend that makes everybody fill at home, thank and many thanks to you.
I’ve just received your third version of english course and I appreciate you’re fantastic, that’s why I admit you’re doing a great job for us. Thanks again.
Best Regards
Albert

hi ,Torsten how are you .Thank you for your sixth lesson it is quite good and I injoyed reading it .the red (s) is a possessive (s) while the blue one is frome ( is) he’s a teacher = he is a teacher , right ?

The «s» is red when it shows possession (Possessive 's), and it is blue when it means “is” (the short form).

:wink:

I think that,
Blue color refers to such a way he’s →he is
And the red color ratul’s friend →only use for possessive
[/img][/code]

Dear Torsten;
The blue color is verb to BE and red color is possesive.
Regard,
Edgar

Dear Torsten,
Thank you for your sixth lesson with topic prossesive
See you with next lesson

Dung

Hello Torsten,
I’m so sure that the blue “s” express the verb to BE or BE, and the red express the POSSESSIVE CASE. Please I was a little absent mind to send you my reply sincerely.
Best Regards!!!
Albert KHONDE

hello sir,
“s” in red is a possesive s and in blue it is a short form of is.

Hello Torsten,
As I said in my first intervention, the Blues express the verb to BE or BE whereas the reds express the POSSESSIVE CASE.
Albert KHONDE

Hi Torsten and everyone,

I have the same answers for your question.

She’s 19 and she’s a student. It means she is 19 and she is a student. It only a way to write it shortly.

Sarah’s boyfriend is an accountant. Here “s” is a possessive case. It means Her boyfriend is an accountant.

And finally, thanks for sharing this.

Maggie^^

the red ‘s’ is a possessive case and the blue ‘s’ is a short form.

e.g. She’s my Doctor. She’s a Doctor. See the difference how ‘my’ and ‘a’ used.

Hello every one

Dear Torston:
Thank you for your email .

The blue color is short form , and the red color is possessive s

Best regards .
Moayad

Hello Torsten,
I’ve just read the short text, and I find that the blue ‘s’ means ‘is’, and the red ones mean possessive.
By the way, the test about modal verbs has just finished, I scored a maximun mark. :smiley:
thank you for your lesson.

Mr Torsten,
I’ve made a mistake in my message. I must type “The test has just [color=red]been finished”. This sentence must be in passive. That’s right, isn’t it?

about the quiz must and had to:
Your results:
You have answered 8 questions out of 10 correctly.