Possessive Adjectives (Unit 4)

Dear Alan,

So you find it strange too, right? I face the same situation. I found it strange too, but it seems that it is a native usage of the language.

Hadeer

HI TORSON

is (OURS ) possesive adjetive
please give me example

Hi,

‘Our’ is a possessive adjective and ‘ours’ is a possessive pronoun:

Our (possessive adjective) house is bigger than your (possessive adjective) house.

'Ours (possessive pronoun) is bigger than yours (possessive pronoun).

Alan

hi my name is uche i must confess that your teaching is help me a lot to improve thank you so much teacher

Dear Torsten,

i hav joined to learn and speak english perfectly. i believed that by giving testing and reading ur articles everyday i can improve my english.

thank you.
smriti

salam
iam very glade to use & learn these exercises
so i continue that & learn more & more.
if i do any type of mistake then you must tel me
iam very thankful for that act of kindness

Dear Torsten,

Thank you for updating me on your lessons and i want to apologized for my lapses. I took some of your exams and my scores are good enough, I think so. Now i will give a brief of information about myself, I will be grateful if you will correct my wrong grammar.
I’m Ria Klarisa, 24 years of age and I am from the Philippines. I am currently working at the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a company nurse. I am assigned in a pediatric clinic and I am assisting my Egyptian doctor. I am helping her in assessing our patient and giving vaccines.
I joined this forum because i want to practice myself in speaking and writing English since we have a plan together with my friends to take up IELTS exam here in Saudi. Another thing is most of the time the language we use here in Saudi is Arabic and sometimes we tend to mixed up the Arabic word and English and we end up formulating a wrong grammar. My friend recommended this site as a tool for improving my English. Thank you very much and i will look forward for your another lesson or updates.

Yours truly,
Ria

thanx mr.Torsten for your lesson
its easy and soft …

I did my test and get 9 of 10 ^^

and I listened to the recording also its easy and simple

hi Torsten,
i like your courses, now I’d be glad if you could
show me some technics in order to understand
easily records, because i find listning very difficult.
looking forward to reading from you.
thanks.
Regards,
late

[color=blue]Hello Mr. Torsten,

we have gone through Unit 4 regarding the possessive adjectives and from this unit i don’t understand clearly about the differences between “Its and It’s”.so can you explain me more in this topic please?

also how do you find my question? i mean, is my sentences and the grammers are right?please correct me.

Hello Surjamankhatiwora,

Really it’s quite simple. :slight_smile:
Its already denotes possession without needing to add an apostrophe (unlike other words)
If you can say ‘it is’ in your sentence, then you should use the contracted form it’s
For any other use of the word its, don’t use an apostophe.

So:
it’s always means it is,

It’s [size=75](it is)[/size] hot today.
Can’t you see it’s [size=75](it is)[/size] wrong?

for anything else, use its

The dog ran to its owner.
Have you seen the size of its wings?

Hi Surjamankhatiwora,

Have a look at this:

It’s ( It is ) true that the dog eats its (possessive adjective or you could say ‘his’) food in this bowl.

Alan

Dear beeesneees,

thank you so much for spoon feeding and it’s (it is) so kind of you. i got it…

Madam,I have seen you wishing me at the end of every reply like “Cheers m’ dears!”. so does " m’ " means “my”,i mean “Cheers my dears”? or does it has other meaning?

also have you seen me using possessive adjective above.

thank you very much…

I’m glad that you understand it now. I notice you are using it correctly.

I have use m’ as a shortened form of ‘my’ as you guessed - but this is not normally shortened using an apostrophe in this way, so you shouldn’t use it yourself.

You can find an explanation in this message.

Hi Surjamankhatiwora,

You might also want to start sticking to basic capitalization rules:
Start each sentence with a capital letter.
Always capitalize the pronoun ‘I’.
Always capitalize proper names.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How long has Mr. Knudsen been in Singapore?[YSaerTTEW443543]

dear torsten,

thank you so much for your correction.henceforth I will keep it in my mind.

Why didn’t you keep it in mind for the above message, then?

Sorry madam,

the problem is I forget the thing so soon. that’s why it heppen…also do you have any other solution to keep things in mind forever?

You still aren’t helping yourself by getting the capital letters right. I suggest you practice. The only way to remember is to use the rules.

Sorry madam,
The problem is I forget things so quickly. That’s why it happens. Also, do you have any other solutions to keep things in mind forever?

Hi Madam,

Thank you so much. Now I started realising the thing.I understood some of the basic capitalisation rules which was also being mentioned by Mr. Torsten earlier.

Thanks a lot.