Mad Meter!

I appeared on the scene?

Claudia

I wanted to be humoristic of course I didn’t think of a stage where a Shakespeare piece is playing.

(grin)

Too bad. I love wearing costumes!

Hugs,

Claudia

Claudia, this isn’t joke I really don’t understand this:
10^0 = 1 (the exponent of 0 is 1 because here we need to divide 10 by 10 which is 1)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why divide when the exponent means that we have to multiply by itself

that’s why :
22=4
3=8
2*4=16

2*0 here why we have to divide 2 by 2 which really is 1.

Hugs.

Kati, the best way to grasp “zero power” is to realize that even though exponentiation is about multiplication, raising a number to zero power means to divide the number by itself since it’s not possible to multiply a number by itself zero times. Any number, even fractions, will thus result in 1: 0.5 divided by 0.5 is 1.

The only exception is 0.

Claudia

Claudia, I understand what you say, but if I know well zero isn’t a negative number, I knew if the exponent is a negative number we have to divide.

My question is how consider 0 is a number or a numeric something. Concerning this I said it has a double identity which in mathematics is an absurdity.
If it isn’t number it can’t be an exponent 0. Can be +1,+2+3 etc or -1,-2,-3 etc

"to be or not to be "

“or 0 is a number or 0 is not a number?” This is the key. This is the question?

Bye! Good night!

P.s. How call the number what we raze to a power?
In Hungarian it is the base, but I don’t find anywhere in English?

I understand that you wonder why it means to divide the number by itself when numbers to an exponent are normally multiplied. 0 is a number of null quantity. But there is no such thing as no-thing, so I say “to be”: it can be an exponent to nonzero numbers but not to zero. But since a number cannot be multiplied by itself zero times, it needs to be divided by itself. Kind of like reverting the whole thing.

(10^10)/(10^10) = 1

(10^10)/(10^10) = 10^(10-10) = 10^0

Mathematicians are arguing about whether we should regard 0 raised to the power of 0 as one as well but so far it is considered undefined.

The number raised to a power is called base in English also.

Good night,

Claudia

You guys are talking about algebra, not maths, I presume.

I was very good at algebra, trigonometry and geology when I was at high school. ( You wouldn’t believe that. But do I look a dull boy in my photo, lol. ). In Physics as well. At university I majored zoology with chemistry minor. But I was always drunk or something. Took 6 years for a 4 year degree. No wonder.

I was the unsung local pub’s scrabble champion ever soaking with booze I won. We bet in booze.

I was 22 then. In 1982.

We had all walks of life in that narrow, stinky, dingy pub in my neighbourhood. We hang around from dawn to dawn ( not dusk in our case ) a UN expert, a phd pathologist, a diplomat, some corrupt gov. staff who spent money like water, trishawmen, taximen, smugglers, hookers, dopists, weeders, cops and me and my gang. I was the head of my gang. I had no tattoos, for what, I had tattoos thugs at my back.

I once met that drunkard who stunned us by proving 1+1= 1 with algebra. We lost our booze to him and saluted him. We played lots of chess, cards, yelled songs, danced around, went chickening.

Those people had been to the World and they ended in that stinky pub. They thought they were 'the World or perhaps larger than the World. Finally they found themselves in that nasty pub. Accepting the world is always larger. The lost people.

Mathematicians are arguing about whether we should regard 0 raised to the power of 0 as one as well but so far it is considered undefined.

I once read a book about 'Time by that prominent professor in the wheel chair. To my dissappointment, he ended that book saying something like he is not very sure he knows things about time yet. He refers loads of books to sell his book. Oh, dear.

We junglies learn that kind of things since our teenage.

So it is wiser to be an IQ40 . Playing around with erratic mad meters.

Oops.

I’ve got a shark to catch.

So I sing. When I was a little bitty baby
My mama would rock me in the cradle,
In them old cotton fields back home;

Then I remember the characters in Burmese Days.

Hello Claudia,

I am very sorry that I went to sleep when your last letter arrived. I found in the morning but I had no time to answer earlier.

I think we won’t agree in this question. In my age I am not flexible and I think about it as I used to think when I was good at maths.

I did not wonder when you would have divided if the exponent had been a negative number.
0 isn’t negative exponent, that’s why I wondered that you divided .
Poor zero or 0.
Once the mathematicians say it is a number if they need a verification or they say it is a nonzero number and they deny it would be a number.

Which are the nonzero numbers? Nonzero numbers are every number except 0
-you can read.

On another place you can read it’s a number, a positive number.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(number says 0 is a positive number. If it is true it is a contradiction with the previous sentence, that it is a nonzero number.

I wrote on the Google: What does the expression ’0 is a number of null quantity’ mean ?
Answer is on this link.
newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/0_(number -says 0 as a number /and 0 as a numeral.

So dear Claudia, while the 0 can be a nonzero number if it is a base and another time it can be a number when it is an exponent I can’t believe this verification.

Many thanks for your letters because this meant to me I can express myself if I have to speak about maths.

Hugs:
Kati

Hello Mr. Kyaw,

I enjoyed very much your story if it was carried away by exaggerations I believed it. We are living from my memories. You could describe so well your youth that you carried me away in the eighties of the twentieth century in Burma.

youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4B7G8Rw3Q

So you tried everything out. You were a UN expert, a phd pathologist, a diplomat, some corrupt gov. staff who spent money like water, trishawmen, taximen, smugglers, hookers, dopists, weeders, cops and me and my gang.

trishowmen/trishaws were first introduced in Singapore in 1914 as “pedal rickshaws” or pedicabs, when bicycles were innovatively added to the passenger seat of rickshaws.

What does a dopist do? I think he has to do something with the dope, but what? Does he deal or control the junkies who need the dope.

I think that you didn’t became a doctor - as your dad would have been wished - not because you didn’t like the people much. It isn’t true. You liked/like the people but not everybody. Who likes everybody? Only the hypocrites. We are not alike each likes this and the other likes the other. You became a very (excuse me) clever, autonomous man. You live your life and I think you are content. I believe that you are sad that you didn’t fulfil your dad’s wish to became a doctor. What to do? My father as yours wanted me to became a lawyer because he was a lawyer. Then I liked the maths and unfortunately I didn’t like history which was the subject of the entrance examine. Since I liked the history, but if I had been born again I wouldn’t choose to be a lawyer.

You liked those friends who lived in the similar way than you.

I’ve got a shark to catch. It occurs me something.

When I use to be a child, one of my friends asked me.
He:- ‘Kati, could you me repeat what I am saying?
Me:Yes! -I told surely of myself.
he:-red, yellow, green, blue
He: What was the first?
Me: -red
He: ha-ha-ha- You couldn’t repeat what I said, could you?
Me: -Why? _ I was stupefied.
He: You should have to repeat the sentence " What was the first.’ And he went away laughing at me. We could be 10.

Best regard:
Kati

About ‘Burmese days’ - I didn’t forget for a minute. My duties what I began, but I didn’t finish - not diminish but increase from day to day. But my dream to finish as soon as possible this very good novel.

Hello Mr. Kyaw,

You wrote:

Why?

Who declared this law:Number raised to the power zero is equal to 1 they couldn’t what to do with 0/zero. From this time if the verification demanded it was considering a number, (when it was an exponent ) or a nonzero number when it was the base.

A nonzero number = every positive and negative number except 0.

How can 0 have two identities? This is what I will never accept.

If the mathematicians can’t come to an understanding with each other, how we could?

Regards:
Kati

My lady,

Mathematicians are arguing about whether we should regard 0 raised to the power of 0 as one as well but so far it is considered undefined.<<<

That was a Claudia’s line.

Thank you very much you like my story. Funny?

Still I never wanted to be a doctor. Burmese doctor those day Are not money doctor.

They had to work like hell, you don’t know.

And my pub story is a true story of my version of Burmese Days, I hope Orwell would have something to say about it.

There are other sides of things Orwell cannot see and he didn’t see them. Only the Burmese see the Burmese. The aliens? The assume the things about us only.

Kind regards.

If the mathematicians can’t come to an understanding with each other, how we could? <<<

You may overlook something here, people sell things for living, everybody . And people buy ugly toys sometimes.

Why ? some people love being cheated. And they are proud of being cheated.

Psychology.

So now we can go back to the Mad Meter.

There are fanatics. The know themselves they are fanatics as well. But they love being fanatic, which make them different from the rest of the crowd.

What a stylish thought.

You can remember punks had those weird hairdos.

Outstanding?

If you have time you should try this. The Lacquer Lady by Tennyson Jesse.

That’s more inner side of the Burmese.

I love this book much more than Burmese days.

Coz, more cunning.

Kind regards.

Hello Mr. Kyaw,

My news that I ordered: I’ve just bought: ‘The lacquer lady (A Virago Modern classic)’ by F. Tennyson Jesse-from the Amazon.-it will arrive in 10 days.

Without this book your writing was very interesting and you wrote about that 80-s year while Orwell wrote about an old Burma which of course is also very interesting.

I could imagine your youth and I believe what you wrote about. It isn’t an imagination because very authentic and true. I feel if I had lived there and I would have participated in Burmese days.

Why would have been written about a Burma which didn’t exist? I believe in this Burma and your life, your friends etc.

Once when I have inspirations I will write to you about my youth which also very different from the youth of nowadays. The world continually changes.

I remember that my grandmother told me stories about her life and they seemed to me as if they had happened 1000 years ago. I told myself that when I would have grandchildren I couldn’t say to them so interesting stories because the worlds wouldn’t change.

I was mistaken when I tell them stories they listened to me open-mouthed, they believe everything, but they couldn’t imagine how the world changed so much. Now I say to them you would see that your grandchildren also would be taken aback when you would tell your stories to them.

Regards:
Kati

At least four of my gang members bit the dust in their 40s. One of them is my brother in law, an avid dopist ( heroin addict ) , died of AIDS. No joke. He screamed like hell saying hell people and black hounds came to take him. Poor guy.

One of them my lieutenant, a mad boozer like me died of liver cancer. The UN expert, the PHD ( London ) pathologist, some of corrupt gov. men all kicked the buckets, of course excessive alcohol and all these funny funny things slaughtered them.

How do I still survive?
I don’t know?

All my organs are still excellent. Still can run up 3 story in 10 second as I was 22.

Am I blessed to see all the sins?
Dunno.

But they say genes is something to talk about for long life. But I don’t care much about it as well. Yet I love to see all those more beautiful girls exposing all their parts in day light. lol

Those days, it was a mission to have a chicken.

Kind regards.

I learn things from Lacquer Lady. It’s good to learn cunning cunning things.

Hello Mr. Kyaw

Yesterday one of our friends died. He was an actor. He was one years younger than my husband. He was an actor, a very good actor. He went to the hospital few days ago and he was so hopeless that he committed a suicide. He jumped out from the third level.

You mentioned that those tough guys died. Unfortunately if I go the cemetery in our village there are more friends there than in the village. Most part of my generation passed away. This is same in Budapest, but here there are more cemeteries and they are very big, so I have to look for their tomb. I don’t like to go either funeral or to the tomb. But unfortunately when one of our best friend pass away I must go to the funeral. Then I look for the tomb of those who are buried in that cemetery. As you say they lived, they were very good fellows and we never think that they can die.

Now because our friend whose death-news we received after my letter I wrote to you yesterday, a little bit we died, us also.

Today we have to live again. Unfortunately, my husband is unwell. Tomorrow we go to the hospital for a check-up.

As the French say: C’est la vie.-This is my favorite saying.

Regards:
Kati

My lady

I don’t know, I have a very abnormal behaviors and ways of thinking as you know. I hate to go to the funeral. Coz I hate to keep my face like I’m sorry.

Death and death people are not sad cases for me. I don’t know, I grew up in hospitals and I’ve seen all types of dead people.

And sad people for the dead people.

I just can’t understand Death is sad?

For me poor, homeless and starved people are sad cases.

What for, we pretend to be sad or sorry for a thing we don’t know at all. I mean Death.

Kind regards.

I don’t know, some people somehow manipulate us 'Death is sad. To rule?

I mean you live , I live, everybody lives and you die, I die, everybody dies. Where the hell is the sad cases. It’s just ridiculous.

Hello Mr. Kyaw,

I don’t believe you. You say that you hate to go to the funeral. Coz you hate to keep your face like you are sorry. I try to find those pictures among yours letter where you wrote about the tsunami’s victims with photos. Unfortunately, I didn’t find because they didn’t let me to look for among your letters. (But that again I found a very brief letter: the person in question told that she doesn’t like the redundant letters. This person sent me a lot of redundant letters,as pm-s.)

It would be easier to write one single sentence and I would receive a point for one sentence. I never interested in this.

Returned the question of death. I will be brief.

1. I was never afraid from my death.
  2. I am afraid to lose the person who means the happiness for me. If he dies why to live any more.
  3. As I told if I can do it I don’t go funeral, but it isn’t so simple.
  4. One example about the last funeral. One of my young friends’ house burnt down at night. It was a very admirable family with 4 beautiful children, my friend a beautiful women she looks like as if she would be the sister of her children. The house burnt to ashes, and her husband, the four children’s father died from the smoke. As the police were investigating they couldn’t bury the deceased for four weeks.

This man was my friend, he was a teacher also. When I went to the funeral I was very sad, but I didn’t cry. But when I saw their children they are all teenagers and to see these 2 meter tall boys and two girls sobbing and they were trembling and I was afraid that each or the other will fainted or collapsed.

Everybody burst into tears I think that we already wasn’t felt sorry for the deceased, but these children who lost forever their beloved father. It was terrible.

Since a month has gone. They will never rebuilt their house, the husband didn’t let her wife to work because he said that to raise up four children and to create a familiar ambience this will be her job. They have to survive but I don’t know when their wound will recover.

1. Not death is sad, who died he/she is in peace, Ashes to ashes =We come from dust; we return to dust.I believe.

The parting forever to know we never speak to each other what is insupportable. Who loves each other who remains alive he/she needs lot of strength. Not everybody has this strength.

1. I know you have also beloved parents , wife thanks God they are healthy. I wish never know what means when the doctors tells that there isn’t hope and you have to live that your beloved person can pass away in any moment.

7.We agree that the poor people, the starving people and children are very painful to see and you can’t help them. Yesterday was a starving demonstration. The people came on foot to the capital. On the demonstration there were only few hundreds people from Budapest. It was a shame. The government put a greeting sentence : We are greeting the people starving for power. These people starving, they have for a month so much money what I spend 2 days. Incredible that they live though lot of them escaped to suicide because they couldn’t pay overheads they became homeless. These people had decent trade or profession, but they became unemployed and they receive an allowance which wasn’t enough to live. I was there and today I wrote an article about the indifference of Budapest.

Regards:
Kati