IELTS Writing task 2 - Moving large companies and factories and their employees to the countryside

Dear Teacher,
Please help to correct my writing and give some feedback for my essay IELTS writing task 2. Thank you very much!

Traffic and housing problems in major cities could be solved by moving large companies and factories and their employees to the countryside. Do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that big firms, industrial factories, and their workers should be transferred to rural areas in order to tackle traffic and accommodation problems. To some extent, I agree that these measures might effective, but I also argue that It would bring out some negative points.

There are various reasons why relocation to the countryside might be feasible. To begin with, moving large groups to suburban areas could reduce the number of private vehicles. This can be explained by the fact that during peak hours there are a variety of transports traveling back and forth between home and places of work. By transferring their companies’ location to the countryside, residents are more likely to move to this site for the sake of easier transportation and accommodation. Therefore, bumper-to-bumper traffic and housing questions in cities would be solved.

Despite these afore-mentioned arguments, I would agree that certain serious disadvantages might stem from the movement of companies from urban areas to suburban areas. Firstly, this relocation to the countryside leads to the degradation of the environment. The reason is the disposal of industrial waste and raw materials for production could harm the local natural resources. For example, some industrial factories dispose toxic waste into the rivers in which residents living nearby use for drinking water. Consequently, they will be poisonous and fall into serious diseases. Secondly, it is within the realm of possibility that there might be an acceleration in the crime rate in the provincial areas since numerous people flock to this place. As a result, this movement would inflict harm on society.

In conclusion, I support the policy of shifting companies, factories, and their employees from big cities to rural areas. However, It should be considered because this could also be the culprit of the deceleration of the environment and residents’ quality of life.

2 Likes

Hi Zim, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your first essay with us. I understand the points you are trying to make and you can improve your writing if you start using shorter sentences with more verbs and fewer nouns.

As for your arguments you should address the fact that we need to completely change our way of living due to global warming caused by burning fossil fuels. If we continue to burn oil, coal and gas at the current rate your generation won’t be able to live on this planet neither in large cities nor in the countryside. #climate-change

1 Like