IELTS Writing Task 2 - Employment (IELTS Cambridge Test 4)

Hi everyone! I hope that you can spare some time to evaluate my essay below. Thanks in advance!

Topic: Nowadays many people choose to be self-employed, rather than to work for a company or organisation. Why might this be the case? What could be the disadvantages of being self-employed?

Essay:
It is true that more people are choosing to work for themselves rather than for a corporation or association. This essay discusses the main reasons for this trend, as well as its drawbacks.

The fact that self-employment is becoming more popular can be associated with two key factors: flexibility and a shorter path to success. Firstly, people often refuse a corporate job so that they can work at their own pace, without having to abide by stringent regulations. In this way, instead of being wary of coming up at the company in time or writing strenuous reports, they can focus on their fields of interest, thus be more productive. Secondly, working independently can help people to achieve fruitful outcomes faster. Rather than spending years to climb up the corporate ladder, their one-member business can advance in leaps and bounds if they can make use of a precious opportunity in a niche market, for example.

However, there exist many pitfalls for people not following the conventional career path in a company or organization. One major drawback is that they are more vulnerable to the ups and downs of the economy. This is because self-employed people, especially one that is still at the beginning of this journey, usually lack stable financial resources to cope with the unexpected crisis of the market, and would therefore struggle more to rebound, compared to a long-established company. Moreover, the current market is fairly saturated and incredibly competitive with the domination of multinational corporations in every domain. As a result, starting a business on one’s own would be a hardship for anyone without a stable financial background.

In conclusion, self-employment is gaining traction among people because they often see this as a more flexible option and a shorter way to success. However, one should take into account the downsides of this choice as they would be more exposed to economic crises and the harsh competition of the market.

4 Likes

Hi, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on the future of work. Your writing skills are very good. You can express your ideas in a cleary and precise way and if you want to improve your writing even further I suggest you try to write shorter sentences that contain phrases and collocations that are commonly used in articles and essays. On our site you will find a great number of texts that deal with questions such as ‘what impact are new technologies having the way we live and work?’ and ‘why has the number of freelancers been growing so fast in the US and worldwide?’ You can read these texts, answer the comprehension questions and then try to re-write the articles as precisely as possible. You can start here: A freelancer’s tips to creating a great CV | english.best

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will follow your suggestion and continue to work on my writing skills. All the best :smile:

1 Like