How good is your English?

there are many ways to know my level sometimes take test on web site and talke with forign people

That’s what i want to know, when i meet someone who is bad at english, they tell me that i speak well, but in the opposite i know that my english isn’t good enough, and what i look for know is to talk with a native speaker, then i’ll know how well i speak it.

My greetings!!!
frankly speaking I’ve never thought of qualifying me somehow coz there was no need of it but anyway if i am asked such a question the only thing that I’ll say is the following:looking at the definition of the word “advanced” one can easily notice that word “developing, developed, development” there. what does it mean? if a person calls himself an advanced learner doesn’t he mean his being a person who wants to develop his knowledge? Maybe I am wrong I can’t deny that fact too.
As to me I never qualify myself I just say “Yeah I know English BUT TO SOME DEGREE” :wink:

Hi, Torsten,
your question is so tricky. As a teacher, language teacher, you perfectly know, that the students are not able to answer to this question objectively.I will not even try to answer to it.I have no clue what is the level of my English.I am concentate to improve it as much as possible in the limited free time I have during the busy working weeks.I feel happy every time when I am reading a new book and I did not put it aside, because the level of English is too hight for me to understand what I am reading about.In my apt, I have 2 bookshelves- one with the books that I already read in English and other with the books still waiting to be read. It is always a small celebration when one of those books changes its place.

Hi everybody!!!

I think that an advance learner is who has an advance level of English, so they only are improving their English through this e-mail course.

I cannot determine my english level by myself, however I suggest you can use a test (exam) or something like that to prove the englisn level of all adavanced english lerners.
take care
I look forward to receiving yor answer!!

:lol: Dear Friends,

I wonder myself about how good my English is, inasmuch any day, in future, surely it would be.

I guess that a good command of English learning is what everyone wishes.

So, my English might be good or shoud be better if compared with someone of the same level of knowledge as mine.

That’s my two cents worth about this subject.

Thanks in advance,

Joao Vazquez

Hi Toresten,
I have the same questions as the other members who receive lessons by email.Your lessons are great, but I find them so simple if compared to my level.As I told you, I teach English but my problem was the lack of commmunication. So, I joined this forum in order to enhance my language skills. Once I asked you, and you recommended the 30/30 challenge. I tried it , it was great, and I’m still working on it. Now, I have an observable progress in language, I speak English more than before ( with my students at class), and my listening skill is better.But I feel that I need more, I need to learn more expressions and vocabulary. I want to be able to talk about any thing without hesitance. May be I face this problem because I’m focising on colloquial English not the academic. Do you think that I can achieve my goal by keeping on doing 30/30 challenge.

Best Regards
Manal

I think my English is quite good - for my age -, since my marks in English are the best, even better than the one from my American friend. Besides, if someone talks me in english I understand almost everything he or she says.
I learn a lot of english from books, television (most of the times, just for practise, I don’t even watch the screen or I don’t read the subtitles), and friends who I talk in english to.

Who I talk in english with, sorry.

dear torsten i am glad to answer your question. i think it depends on the individual condition n surroundings where we are being absorbed.a second language learner may not be clever at as native.however i am very whenever i am being taught by you glad n appreciate what you taught. with metta. sincerely yours win naing

I think that my english is quite good, especially in conversation, but I must take more care about grammar, and some other things.
I can understand everything when I read books, and can understand also when I listen to some audios.
Hope in coming period, other things is going to be much better…:slight_smile:

I want to improve my english because I usually feel that I am not able to say what I want.But I don’t know how good it is…A test could help…
Thanks

Hello Torsten,

Well seriously I don’t know how to measure my English though, but I think you’ll know it better when you read my answers on the forum. So I leave it for you to decide. But I think it’d be nice if you can make a test in which the level of a student’s english can be measured. :wink:

Regards,

:slight_smile: It is difficult to me tell you exactly what is my level.However, TOEIC helps me to measure it.From 2004 up today, i take toeic exam every year.My overall score is 5.For instance this year, I score 375 in listening,315 in reading ,5 in writing and 4 in speaking.I experience my difficulties in English when I talk,sometimes, i am short of words.In addition to that,everytime that i write I check the spelling of words in the dictionary from time to time.The other thing that I want to mention to you is that i am a french native speaker and most of my time i speak french, because i am surrounding by french speakers.I do not have too much difficulty to understand to Enlgish native speakers when they speak to me.Also,I do not encounter any problem when watching TV such as the CCN or BBC.Comparing my level to some of my colleague,honestly i am lagging behind.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

I think by the way, my english is medium comparing with other classmates

I will be good in futer…,

Hi Hyder,

You can improve your English immediately by starting to use a spell checker. I recommend the free ‘add-on’ offered by Firefox.

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the retirement of a company’s president[YSaerTTEW443543]

H

ello Lamine,
My name is Mihai,I am from Romania.I am 41 years,I am a veterinarian doctor.I work for a dutch company who manufactured and sales feed for poultry,swine,ruminants and other species.i

Dear Mr. Torsten,
How are you? I am very well and have been studying English lessons that you have sent recently. Now I have a lot of lessons to study because I have been away from
internet and also as you know, the connection is not very good on these days. And then I am not an expertise of using computer. But now I have to study your lessons ahead. I am looking forward to study your lessons. Thank you so much.
Best regard,
Yours
Aungmoe

Hello Torsten!
It is a challenging question. I test my English as often as I can but I’ve never received the advanced score. I agree with Nola, learning never ends. Sometimes I realize that even my native language has to be improved, especially after periods of using another language. I had such an experience when after 6 years of speaking Russian I found it difficult to express my thoghts in my mother tongue fluently and without any mistakes. So practicing English only 1 or 2 ours a day is not enough to became an advanced learner. Thank you very much for such a precious help.
Berst regards, Caterina.