Guy Fawkes Night?

Hello, everyone,

Much of what Allan says is true. “There is no smoke without fire”.
We should never forget that “Fire is a good servant but a bad master”.
Bad experiences are strongly printed in mind. “A burnt child dreads the fire”

Dear Allan and Torsten
Always very interesting the subjects written by Allan. He keeps on always bringing language tips of grammar and cultural facts at same time.
It’s very useful and estimulating for us, english learners and admirers of the British history.
Thanks a lot.

In time: As another member has asked I would like to know if this expressions are used in USA and others english speakers countries?

POLLUTION is one of the most danerous risks which are threatening the envirnnment all over the world because OF many things.HowSorry today humans are not intersted in doing something nice not only to protect themselves but also to preserve their community from air , water , and soil pullotion.
To my mid,it’s very simple if we want to change the world and make it lighten up .What we have to do is to try saving our envirnnment as much as possible in order to live together in a peaceful world in harmony.

Hello Stefanessa
Yes, of course, “in time” is often used in English and American English as well.
The following definition is copied from the Cambridge Adwanced Learners Dictionary:

in time
early enough:
I got home just in time - it’s starting to rain.
If we don’t hurry up, we won’t be in time to catch the train.
We arrived in good time (= We arrived early) for the start of the match.

Have you got an English - English Dictionary? The best thing about it is that after the explanation you can always find some good examples, how the word is used in context.

Personally, I use the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary, but there are many others. They have often got a CD to the book which you can store on your PC, so it’s much more comfortable looking up words then in a book: You tipe it in - and bingo! - there you are!
Cheers
Urs

Hello Stefanessa
I found out that there was something missing in my recording, the middle part of it has somehow vanished - so this is the complete version…
Cheers Urs

Hi Allan,
Your essay is really interesting. You connect all things together to have those expressions relating to fire and burn, sometimes with a touch of humour that make them easier to remember. That is I am sure a very effective way to transmit the ideas you want. I appreciate that very much.
By the way that fire is talked about, in our own language, we have the saying ‘Water, Fire, Theft, Invader’. These - deep in the minds of our people, generations after generations, are the four most fearful dangers to normal life. You can see Fire stands only the second as in our country, Water is always the most frightening thing. We hardly have tsunami like Japan but every year, water from the sky, rivers, sea… has become a common problem that could transform houses, paddle fields, roads, schools… into somethings like pools of muds. But fire, unlike water that comes by nature, more often than not comes to damage by human faults. But but but ain’t I going too far from the point? thank you for an interesting essay.
Nga Tran

im fireman , and im sure in about fire , the fire could be you friend or counterback your enemy if tou want to use fire dont make unsafety conditions for your life.

Hello, Alan,

thank you for your next amazing story about a fire! I thing if everyone have to chance to read this essay - there will be less number of fire around the world!
Unfortunately in a real life there are a lot of other cause of a fire. I worked early for one person who was the fireman, but the way I am very interested person, and I asked him what the main reason of the fire in the house, His answer was that people often let their electrical divices in power (charger, kettle, hairdryer etc.). After our conversation I really tryied to be carefull with electrical divices and I want to say to everyone that they should be carefull too!

Best regards,

Miroslav

Hi.It was actully an interesting and amusing essay,though the fire is dangerous and has so many bad effects but u have expressed ur point of vue with so many funny and useful quotes ,by the way we use many of them on lebanon but of course in arabic language,others are new,and about the expression “getting on like a house on fire” ,I believe it has a positive meaning ,it talks about understanding and melting one with another .The fire loves the wood and the wood will burn ,will melt on fire,So there is a flame,a harmony between them.

This essay is brilliant! So many idioms about fire are contained in just one. It’s really helpful. Thanks, Alan.

Hello Teacher,
I couldn’t post anything , because I couldn’t Log in ESL Forum. Please help or reconnect…Unchan

Hello Unchan,

You seem to be logged in because the above message appeared under your name in the forum.

Thank you for your help Beeesneees! I can log in now. By the way I bought some lessons yeaterday, I still haven’t got them.

I have nothing to do with the purchasing part of this site, Unchan. I suggest you contact Torsten if you do not receive a download link for them.

HELLO EVERYBODY!CAN YOU HELP ME?I NEED SOME EXAMPLES OF NEUTRAL,COMMON LITERARY AND COMMON COLLOQUIAL VOCABULARY.COMPARE THEM

Hi Unchan,

Yes you can log into the forum as you have posted 48 messages here. I have sent a link to our products via email.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A rural scene[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Shanthi and everyone,
In Thailand we have albino elephants, but not many and most of them belong to the King. They’re very intelligent animals.
For me, if I could choose I would choose not to be born again, I would like to follow Buddha’s steps to achieve enlightenment as Buddha teach us everybody can achieve a Buddhahood if they put a lot of efforts or heard work to cultivate lots of merit. However, to commit to this hard work you may have to sacrifice lots of things that relate to your everyday life.

I wouldn’t want to be born as an animal (any animal) because animals don’t have opportunities to learn to achieve enlightenment, also have less opportunities to help others. Furthermore, animals don’t have 5 commandments. Our Thai monks told us to be born as human, you must have cultivated a lot of good kama in the past life. In others word it’s not easy to be born as a human.

Have a nice day,…Unchan

1 Like

Hello Sir
It is a wonderful essay .I like it very much .But it is tough to remember all 'proverb’and their meaning.

1 Like