Climate change is like a redux of the hole in the ozone layer

Hi, this is the first time I’ve come across the word ‘redux’. Who of you has been using it?

In such thinking, climate change is like a redux of the hole in the ozone layer: potentially bad but solvable with the tools on hand and without real changes to our lifestyles.

6 Likes

Torsten, I haven’t heard or used this word so far. But Collins and Merriam say the word is an adjective meaning what has been brought back, revived, restored, presented in a new way etc with its origin from the Latin verb reducere which means to lead back.

I think it’s a good word.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of it until now. :thinking: Thanks for sharing it :+1: :smile:

2 Likes

The hole in the ozone layer seems to be fixed…

Nowadays the hype seems to be climate change.

I haven’t been using it. But now I know what it means. Thanks.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s not just hype but very real.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant ‘everybody is talking about it’.
Does it have to be fake to be a hype?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you are referring to but I don’t think ‘hype’ is countable.

2 Likes

You said

So I asked whether to call something a hype this thing has to be necessarily real or may ‘hype’ be called something everybody talks about, real or not…?

2 Likes

Most topics or issues that are hyped are based on real facts while it might be possible that something that doesn’t even exist gets hyped too.

3 Likes

So it’s not a mistake to call it a hype; just concentrating on the fact of its coverage… Whether it’s real or not is another issue…

1 Like

Calling the effects of global warming hype implies that you don’t think the thread it poses is real and imminent.

2 Likes

Well, not being a native speaker, maybe I’m not doing accurate use of the word hype; that’s why I kept asking you about it.
As I said I used it in terms of issue coverage. Maybe I should look more closely to the use and meaning of the word to be absolutely sure in the future…

Anyway about the topic of climate change … I think everybody can see there’s climate change; one doesn’t have to be a scientist…
But on the other hand one can also be sceptical about the extend of the problem with the use the media makes of anything threatening … It’s their business, literally, to blow things up to busting point! Can they be trusted?

3 Likes

I believe in science and what they say about global warming and I trust what I see.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’m sort of a layman myself; just the media (tv, newspapers, internet sites…) and common sense…

Do you have any, more reliable, resources? I’d be very interested to know. Seriously.

3 Likes

Sure, how about these for starters?

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to look into them. I hope they don’t come from the media though…

Also I should also tell you that the article you posted here (on your first post) has made a real impact on me! I had no idea about the ‘commitment’ of the oil companies to save the world. And I also think I know why they are not going to stop using fossil fuel too. Because that’s the surest way they are going to be able to save it later… :wink:

2 Likes

How do you define ‘the media’?

1 Like

As everybody does I suppose (tv, newspapers…)
I expected your articles, being more of a scientific nature, would come from scientific magazines, scientific internet sites - forums…
Not ‘things’ that pray on making a sensation…

1 Like

All you need to understand the following is such common sense. I don’t see what any of what I have shared has anything to do with praying:

Our current economic system is broken because it is dominated by an ethic of hyper-individualism and profit maximization, which together represent an “exploiter mindset.” Business models created and managed by leaders who are expressing the dominant culture of our time, especially here in the U.S., prioritize extracting whatever is needed for short-term gains. This ethic found its seminal expression in Milton Friedman’s 1970 essay, “The Social Responsibility of Business Is to Increase Its Profits.” He asserted that the purpose of business is, generally, “to make as much money as possible while conforming to the basic rules of society, both those embodied in law and those embodied in ethical custom [emphasis added].”

The modern exploiter mindset has led us to the brink of simultaneous and interrelated crises of environmental disaster, social dislocation and political dysfunction. These “non-business” issues are important for business leaders because there is no healthy business in an unhealthy society.

3 Likes

Oh, very sorry!!
Spelling mistake: I meant ‘prey on’

1 Like