At universities and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and libraries and should receive equal financial support. (It is my first essay, I will be thankful if you refine it)

Hi dear Torsten
:slightly_smiling_face:
thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Max. Now, I take it you want to know if you can score high marks on the TOEFL in order to be accepted into a prestigious US university so you can obtain a degree and make a great career?

3 Likes

Hi Max,

On behalf of all the forum members, welcome!

I would rephrase this sentence as follows:

• Universities and colleges offer a variety of courses to students, but some of them need to be given extra financial support. Furthermore, sports and social activities should be allocated the same budget as other classes.

You see Max, you’re trying to explain what you believe and that’s important. I’m not saying that what is generally believed is unimportant, because we all know that sports and social activities need the same budget as other classes, be it either at college or university. So, by all means do mention it. However, if you insist on saying: ‘it is generally believed’, I would recommend using the following:

• Scientists and sport experts generally believe that…

After that you can name a few of those and briefly tell your readers what they have to say. Always present facts, arguments and proof. So, always try to be objective. I hope I’ve given you some good advice.

After all, ‘Mens Sana in Corpore Sano,’ remember?

Happy Easter, Max :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Yes Mr. Torsten, but according to my condition( skills) I think I have no chance, am I right?

3 Likes

Hi Masme, I really appreciate your reply.

3 Likes

It all depends on what you really want. How do you define ‘privileged university’ and ‘make a career’ especially now that nobody knows what our society and economy will look like within the next few years?

3 Likes

Yes, but I have to make a bright future, and I keep trying to take a high score because I have to. I have no other choices.

3 Likes

You always have a choice between at least two options. Now, can you tell me what exactly you want to accomplish? What do you want to study and why?

3 Likes

I have a master degree, and I have not been success to find a job. I would like to pursue my study in the computer science field. As you know toefl is essential, and I have to get it.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome, Max.

1 Like

Max,

Take your chances, go for it! Believe in yourself and get that toefl certificate. However, could you tell me what condition skills are? By the way have you applied for jobs in your country? If so, how many times?

2 Likes

Just a quick note to let you know that you should spell adjectives ending in ‘ful’ with just one ‘l’.

2 Likes

True Torsten, I am behind you! :grinning: In fact, all the men and women are! :joy:

1 Like

I suggest you take a closer look at all the opportunities micro credentialing provides. @tim_m has created a series of short texts on this highly interesting topics and you can read them here: Micro Credentialing: codecademy | english.best

3 Likes

@maxwelln1, let me know if you have any questions!

3 Likes

Thanks dear Masme, I have tried a lot

2 Likes

Thank you, it is kind of you

3 Likes

Max, don’t give up and try again later. :+1:

1 Like

I believe that it depends. Some colleges try to be the best, for example, at sports, other ones in acting classes. Logically, the majority of students are interested in the main college activity. So why do ‘sport’ college should invest in acting classes equally and vice versa? The solution that I can see is the following. ‘Sport’ college may have agreement with local studio, which has acting classes, and invent there in case students want to enroll in this activity. This will also minimize the number of staff since they’ll be no need to have in-house acting teacher for ‘sport’ college.

3 Likes

Check out my response to a similar post I made a few months back: Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities. I think it might give you some perspective into the current US model, where I think schools tend to favor and certainly invest huge amounts of money into collegiate athletics. Let me know what you think!

3 Likes