A big hello to all new members!

Thanks Pamela and FangFang :smiley:

Yes,working wih 3-6-years-old children is patience,patience ang patience again.Nothing else :smiley:
I’ve studied Preschool pedagogics with English in Plovdiv University,but I want a magistracy degree of English Philology. I think my level is very good,but still not excellent :oops:

1 Like

FangFang, Yankee

Go mo leath sceal, Excuse me!! I didn’t see your response till this morning.

“Dia aguibh go l?ir” is the Irish- Gaelic - for “Hello everybody”, or “Hi All”.
I live in Bray which is a few miles south of Dublin, the capital of Ireland

English is my mother tongue, but Irish is my preferred language, though I am far from fluent at it.

I have an MA in Communications and Cultural Studies, and used to teach Media studies, and Video production.
But now I am semi-retired and I wanted something I could do easily from home.
I was browsing the web for information on TEFL and realised there is a demand for teachers online, so I started teaching.
So far I am doing one-to-one tutoring, using skype (and sometimes webcam).
Most of my students are in Europe, some in China, Japan, and I met them through a website e-english.com

:slight_smile:

Art

1 Like

Hi Art,

Welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for your great support. It’s good to have an Irishman onboard too. As a matter of fact, you are the second ESL professional [size=75]http://www.english-test.net/esl-cafe/22/index.html[/size] to join our team – maybe you have met Ralf yet?

Also, you are absolutely right in saying that e-english is a great site, that’s why we took an Interview with e-engllish.co [size=75]http://www.english-test.net/esl-cafe/22/index.html[/size]

What about you? You have a degree in Cultural Studies and Video Production. That’s a wonderful combination of subjects, why did you choose them? Have you been abroad? What is your definition of ‘culture’?

Hope to see you around soon.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: An assistant lecturer talking to a new student[YSaerTTEW443543]

1 Like

Hi, Art(What a cool and nice name!) :smiley:
I am very interested in your art teaching, would you like to introduce something here??? How do you teach online? How can you test your students’ study ? ___Awesome!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi Torsten

No, my degree is in Communications and Cultural Studies. I have taught and worked in video.

Well my career sort of evolved backwards. I decided to study for an MA because I was already teaching a video class.
But my video experience started in the “olden days” of film production, back in the last century. Celluloid, f-stops and chemicals. None of this new-fangle digit-ology.

I have worked on documentary films all over Ireland, also England and Wales, parts of Europe, North Africa, East Africa, The Philipines and south Pacific.

Well I don’t have a hard and fast one. It is one of those words where the meaning depends on where you’re coming from. My interest was more in Communications and Media: how the media influence our lives, how people react to - and interact with - the the way their world is portrayed; and the economics and politics of media ownership and control. Who decides what to print or broadcast ? and why ?

Living in Ireland from 5th October 1968, through the early '70s and '80s, Bloody Sunday, the hunger strikes, Gibraltar, media censorship, the Peace process: the role of the media in reporting and in influencing events is a fascinating study in itself.
(I suppose many younger, non-Irish, will not know what I am talking about).

And there is the whole issue of the English language: political, economic, cultural.
Why do some many people want to - or need to learn it. Is it such a good idea ?
Maybe we should all study Chinese.

What about Hiberno English . . .
. . . . Ireland’s British problem . . .
. . . . . . . Italia 90 . . .

I could go on and on . . . and on . . .

But that’ll do for now,

Art

1 Like

Hey, I am a new comer here and I love this forum very much.

I am an english major, and will be graduate next year. I am learning business english right now, and hoping to pursue my further study on this aspect.

We have two foreign english teachers on our campus, who are a couple coming from Gulf Shore, America. They are just very very kind people and love their students so! I have been learning lots of stuff from them,and that not only helped me improved my own english to a higher level, but also let me know more about America, the life style and people’s thoughts.

Given chances, I’d like to pay a visit to that country and see more about the world.

1 Like

Hello teachers and friends, I’m new to this forum(school) :smiley:

I have been in Canada since 2002 and that’s when I started learning English. In my home country, English was mandatory in all grades. Anyone has any doubt what was my least favourite subject?? :frowning: Yes!! you’re right. It’s English. So, in Canada, I started learning English because I have to but last year I noticed a change in me. I began to like English, I love it now. Daily, I spent two hours reading news paper, and sports articles on-line. The more I read, the more eager I am to learn English.

My short/long term goal is to read a whole newspaper without having to check a dictionary for meaning(s).

I am cluless of what and how to comment on this gem of a forum because it’s beyond my vocabulary arsenal :slight_smile: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: .

[size=75]Just[/size]ice

1 Like

Hello, Justice

Welcome to this forum! :smiley:

Regard your written english, you really have a very good command of english.

So, you are studying in Canada, then, what’s you major? Can you tell more about you school there? I am greatly interested in that country. I know that in the golden autumn season, Canada is extremely beautiful!! :stuck_out_tongue: Those leaves on maple trees, with brilliant hues of red, will give a flaming tribute to the city! That is really awesome.

I always hope that I can have a chance to go there and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

1 Like

Hi, Art! I agree with you, maybe you should learn Chinese. The most popular language in this planet only because there are about 1.3 billion people are using it. :lol: :lol:
But why it can’t be spread so widely as English did? Personally I think , it is because Chinese, as a language, has less influences on its being accepted around the world. That is another question related to culture , language, history and economic effects. That is an interesting topic.
About the documentary making, there are much to tell. As one of the art expression way documentary ,seemingly, gives the film makers much space to express themselves. I like to watch documentary films for what they want to tell, whatever they are true or not, at least, you are developing much interests to think something over…

F.F

1 Like

Hello, Jennifer :smiley:

Thank you for your words about my English.

I’m into Computer Engineering. I love the schools here and the education system. If one keeps himself/herselfh updated with everyday school work, then he/she’ll become what he/she wants. It’s too easy. If one can keep an average of 75, then there’s a greater likelihood of getting into the field that he/she desired for. Averaging around 85 or up will ensure he/she gets into a prestigious university. All these averages I’m talking about are in grade 12. That basicaly means we can play till grade 11 :stuck_out_tongue: . All I did was, putting more efforts in grade 11 and 12. Anything else? I’ll like to answer. :slight_smile:

Autumn has almost started, the most beautiful season.
Canada welcomes you. Book the ticket please :wink: .

1 Like

Hello every friend,

Quite a warm place to be, great people here.
I found tremendous amount of useful information about English. So far this is the best form I’ve ever seen about English. Every thing here is purely English. Great!

My name, Wang, Yuan Lin from eastern China, wanting to meet more people around, especially US UK etc. I will travel to US in December, anticipate to touch English and American culture.

My msn : wangyuanlin@msn.com

1 Like

Hi everyone!My name is Lukas, I’m 18 years old and I’m from Slovakia.I’m not sure, if someone knows where is Slovakia. :lol:But that doesn’t matter.I’m learning english for 4 years now and as you can see I’m not good in it.So that’s why I’m here…because I need to practice and I want to meet new people.

1 Like

Hi Art,

You’ve raised an interesting question – why do so many people want to learn English? I think there can be quite a few reasons for this. For starters, when you learn English as a second language you get a better understanding of your mother tongue. How many of us remember basic grammar terms such as the parts of speech and the concept of tenses? Learning English also means you become more aware of your thinking patterns and communication habits. How many new words can learn per week? Can you control your and change your daily routine?

Once you have developed your own learning system it will be fun getting to know new people and their way of thinking. If you speak English as a second language it will be much easier for you to pick up a third or fourth language too. Who says you have to “stop” with English? Move on to another language applying the same learning techniques you acquired through learning and using English…

What about your language learning experiences? What language(s) did you learn at school and at work? Do you also understand Gaelic?
Regards, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Entering a shop[YSaerTTEW443543]

1 Like

Thank you (English)
谢谢你 (Chinese)
Arigato Gozaimashidae (Japanese)
Nanderi (Tamil)
Terima kersih (Malay)
Danke sch?n (German)
Merci (French)

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

哈哈,看来中文也能发了啊

1 Like

Please post in english. All the moderators are from western countries. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry, no offence here :twisted:

1 Like

Hi wangyuanlin

I’d also like to welcome you to the forum. :smiley:

Your last post here looks very interesting, but unfortunately I can’t read it. Could you tell us what it means in English?

What part(s) of the US are you planning to visit in December? How long will you be staying? Tell us a little more about your plans. :smiley:

Amy

1 Like

@Yankee,

I will translate for you.
Translation: Haha, it seemed that chinese characters can also be posted inside here.

Thanks, NS. :lol:

Actually, i started it first by translating the words “thank you” in several langauges. :oops: