You must be pulling my leg!

You’re pulling my leg, aren’t you? (English essay 5)

Dear Mr. Alan Townend,

I greatly admired the ways you had gathered all the points and wrote them so naturally. The article, “You’re pulling my leg”, really described the reality of life. Not only had the pulling somebody’s leg and hoaxes happened in the old days, they also happened in the present days. Unsurprisingly, I would say such incidents of playing a joke and deception are real in the world today and are rather common, not to mention what will happen in future.

This is only my brief comment of the article, and it excludes the pros and cons from a Buddhist’s standpoint. Thank you so much for your English lesson “You’re pulling my leg, aren’t you? (English essay 5)”.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi! I’m really appreciate this your essay. it"s an intresting one; i like it. but those hoaxes that are made without a confession, do you think this is not a sin? though it is good to make it and later confess that it is a joke. thank you!

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for your message and the pleasant things you said about my newsletter. I am blushing! What is good is the way you take the trouble to reread the material so that you can remember the words and expressions. You are obviously a very good student. I hope you will like my next essay.

Best wishes,

Alan

nice essey. thank you Mr.Torsten for this web site

Hi Alan,
This essay was a good way to explain the proverb " to pull somebody’s leg" .IN addition this essay helped me understand the word " hoax".
I honestly enjoyed reading your essay.

Thanks , Amer

The story was interesting.

I have a question.I have terrible bad pronunciation even in my mother tongue.Relatively it’s really awful in English.I’ve tried to fix it but it was no use. Please help me.

Hi I am mahnoor ,

I really make good use of these essay.
I like it.
yah, I have too terrible bad pronunciation my mother tongue is urdu.
i belong to pakistan now I am in canad.
i need some help.
thanks for all Email.

iwhose leg i am pulling may know?

this essey is really good:) I’ve learnt a lot of synonyms of “trick” and expressions about fooling someone. well April fools’day is also very popular in my country. but we don’t come to such elaborate tricks and use spontaneous ideas for fooling people. these are just very harmless and shortlived jokes. for example,there is a terrible whole in your coat!but my pupil once made me believe that one of my pupils had got married. and he acted perfectly during an hour,until the heroine herself stepped into the room and my reaction was really very emotional:) I screamed,and blamed him to be a liar,and laughed and screamed again and they all had really good fun watching me:)

Dear: Alan.
Well, let me tell you I really enjoy reading facts like the ones you talked about I jus love it. In addition, the vocabulary you used was really great something else that I love learning. Thank you very much guys for trying to help us in different ways to improve our language skills.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your essay. It is great as usual. I certainly will use the expression from it.

Do you happen to know that Lake Baikal won’t freeze over this year? I suppose you haven’t got a slightest idea. But many Russians, especially people who live near the Baikal, will say approximately these words: “Don’t make a fool out of me. Baikal freezes over every year and this year won’t be exception.” If they say so it means they swallow the bait and you may safely make a bet with them. I do this trick periodically and, as a rule, I win.

The trick is hidden in the question which I asked you in the beginning of my message. Will any member of this forum solve this puzzle?

Best regards,

Yuri

Sometime,We used the essay.Sounds great.

i am absolutely impressed to the way you apply all your spare of time sharing the essay to us. i anticipate that your essay is much more improved if you still keep ur efford like this. Anyway, thank so much for keeping in touch with us! be on the bright side if u wanna get things done!

Thank you so much for the essay.It was great and fun to read it!

Alan Townend’s essays are really special. I can see everybody enjoy them while learning English at the same time. Congratulations and thank you! Ada

Hey guys !
It was very very enjoyable to keep up with the story-teller from the beginning to end ,which was the most important part where the reader can get the impression whether did he really enjoy the material he has been through ;from one word to another and from different situations to contradiction that sometimes leads to perfect understand of one single " word" or " phrase" or “sentence” ,and the example that was given ( pull someone’s leg ) had stunned me .

The writer of the essay has moved from different situations in which the expression can be used ,and still can be replaced and substituted by a large number of words ;and as we are all aware some of us mentioned those items on their comments and iam not surprised because this is a good sign ,since we are all learning from each other and we can learn how to pull pranks on each other too.
the word " prank " or " joke" is usually associated with " fun" or " laughing" ,but sometimes it never ends better for example when i was a little boy i used to watch tv with my brothers and sisters and the problem was that : The floor has no carpet and in order to enjoy watching tv comfortably there was one chair available . So first come , first serve !.at that time the one who got the chair must be careful while watching the screen otherwise he would fall down on his back ;which is the usual crime in the house because if you get tired and you wanna stretch for a little while ,someone had already picked up the chair and you end up with you butt and head hitting th floor .That was very funny and and in the middle of the night you can hear a blast of laughing as someone get tricked .

Another story which happened to me when i was at high school ,and i hate to remember ,though it makes me laugh whenever i think of it ,was about a french teacher who was very arrogant and he never gives a chance to anyone to whisper .But, oneday as it was getting dark in the evening i made a plan with a friend of mine who was taller and very strong to make a scary sound as we where on the back seats .At that time , he was confused and he was moving from one window to another and checking every corner .it was really super fun .

Hi Mr torsten,
I liked it so much, because it is very interesting, meanly about the hangings and what happened at that time.

I think that this book is great!It offeres a fantastic way to its readers to learn english and english grammar !

Hi Alan

The essay is so good and funny. I didn’t know the expression pulling someone leg.

In my country people make hoaxes on April 1st it’s call April fish. Long time ago A TV channel in my country made and announcemt that many great artists of the world have been invited to sing in the studio of this channel on April 1st. Among those invitee were Johnny Halliday, Miriam Makeba, Michael Jackson,Tshala Muana…
Many people watched the TV to see famous singer. Insted of thoses singer there were chidren sining at their place. And the decoration of the studio was a big fish.