You must be pulling my leg!

yea i have never hoax somebody because hoax were made for me, jaja well it is a good essay tank .
well i understud that it mean,you are jokin me right , you must be pulling my leg, certanly sould be a phrase in this kind of situattion,i am right

Hi Alan
Thank You very much for all effort which you and your team puts for educating us.It been after long time that I am writing on this forum because for last few month’s I was staying in a remote place where there was no internet connection.
It’s been a pleasure to be in touch with all the lovely people around here.
I miss lot of your lessons,hope I cover it all as soon as possible and be a good English Speake.

Thanks & Regards
Sajid

this essay is very useful and practical for us to learn.

Hi Dear Alan,
As usual,a very interesting,amasing and fantastic article about English.
The more I read your newsletters,the more I get sure that one of the Seven Wonders of the world is
the mysterious formation(advent) of the languages.Do you think so?!
Best regards,
Morteza

This is really very fascinating story, with a lot of learning opportunities such as new word, and how the words are connected. Well, if I come back to the story “you are pulling my leg” it’s really according to one glance nasty and on the other frightful and shameful, because of forget about a live person people are going to have their destined food by stealing dead man.

In my country there are many hoaxes, tricks and folk-tails. Let me catch one.

There was a sacred man who died just 1 century ago, people residing that area believes that the place is secured by the power of that “dead man” and every year people collects by them selves a hug of money and valuable goods, as to sell that asset into a scores of camel and after ward they slaughter the camel and stick around a couple of times on the grave of that dead man believing that He will be happy and they will get a reward, so if you say same thing against him “people say, hey he will stood up the grave and will do on you same thing nasty either kill you or harm you” what a dupe its! Dead person arising from the grave and harming people. Oh I think many of us we learner believe this.

So many people believed this and as you mentioned those people are called “gullible or dupe” we call in our own language “quraafaad” which means the believers of non-existed thing.

All in all dupe news are unique in every nation in this globe. But I didn’t ever and every heard “same one who is try to steal dead man” Mr alen ended up the news and he said “its nasty and unpleasant”. and we say too.

hajji

I think that’s a good essay, a well-written and instructive story on the ways of speaking about a joke, a prank , a hoax and so on as I also think it was an effective way to enhance your vocabulary by having a compelling story to read on a funny topic. Let’s drive away the frown-learning-old-fashion way and replace it with a easy-going and unnconventional style , shall we?:slight_smile: :wink:

Hi Costin,

Glad you liked the essay. You might be interested to read my latest newsletter - Wish you were here. I hope you are.

www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic42692.html

Alan

I found this article highly interesting. Your essays are all well written. I learn a lot of new words and idiomatic expressions from them.
Aneeqa

I like your story, Suzerain! :slight_smile: I’m a Vietnamese girl, too! Nice to find someone Vietnamese like me here! ^^

I’m glad to learn English from this web.Thanks !

Hi Alan
I really enjoyed this essay… its fun and knowledge… I understand the meaning of pull his leg or her leg when the person is trying to get the other person’s attention for a relationship or things like that… And April fool is also known as a white lie!!
so it doesn’t count as a lie.
Thanks again and I do love such lessons… To Learn and to understand what is in real life.
Aida…Sydney

Hi Mr Torsten,
big thank you for made this website it is very great and clearly is very convenient!
I never wrote you about me:
My name is Kudrat my nationality is uzbek, i’m from central Asia i live in Uzbekistan-Tashkent capital city. I have to learn english because i work at British organization and i love this language.

Hi Aida,
i red your massage and i want to say you about your english :wink:
Which language is your native language?

Very good assay…

Hi Alan,

In my view, definitely you have the art of writing. I can keep on reading your articles without even taking my eyes off. Simply said, the most I like about your writing is that one it’s very informative and secondly it’s creative. Would you consider this as a natural talent or a skill that we can develop through out our writing life?

Today’s reality is every single day more and more people are being conned and tricked (hoaxed) in so many ways than merely on April fools day. Therefore, compared to history the modern day’s man pay less attention to these stuff.

Thanks for your time. I am looking forward to more of your informative/creative news letters.
Shabreena

it’s cool.

Hi everyone.I’m nata from Georgia…I decided to increase my English …will be happy if this email lessons will help me…P.S. I’ll be happy if I will have any native speaker friend.

Hi Alan,

Thank you again for this wonderful essay.I can learn a lot from these.I personally not a gullible person,but I can be frightened easily.I don’t like to be tricked neither on April 1st nor other times.
For example if some aliens invade our planet and that would be announced in public I would be frightened.I know that this can mean that I’m credulous,but instead I think I’m confused as many times.
So,I don’t know.Anyway I like your essays.
Thanks ,
Marica

Hi TORSTEN

It is always a pleasure, to read your essay. The talent you use to write it make it the marvelous reading to do.

This interesting expression “pulling someone’s leg” is the proof of the fact that you realy are special on what you undertake.

See you
kevinzos

An awesome article shared by Torsten. I am really impressed and would love to read the next one as soon as possible. Hoaxing however in India is a fun and all of us (whatever the age be) enjoy a lot.

Cheers,
Akshay.