Yes

Hi,

It’s a simple enough word, isn’t it? I’m talking about ‘yes’, you understand. But there are a lot of ways you can say it and quite a few depend on the manner in which you say it. Let me explain -

english-test.net/stories/76/index.html

Alan

Hi Alan,
Please do we say, ‘there are apples in the tree or there are apples on the tree’?

And also,

Is it, ‘there are birds on the tree or there are birds in the tree’?

Thank you,
Albert

Hi Albert,

I would use ‘in’ for the birds because they are, as it were, sitting inside the tree and I would use ‘on’ for the apples as they are hanging on the branches of the tree. In the same way you would say: There’s a bird in the tree sitting on a branch.

Alan

Yes, Alan, you could be well right …hehe

Michael

Hi Alan:

I really enjoy your essay and this is the firts time I respond one of them, I`m hidding from my boss, jejeje. (I should be working) :P.

I wanted to know the grammatical explanation of: " yes, that may well be so but…"
Thanks a lot.

Kind regards from Bolivia.
Bye bye.

Hi Mariela,

The expression ‘Yes, that may well be so but…’ suggests: ‘Yes, that’s probably true but …’.

Alan

Hello Alan,

It was interesting to read your lesson “The language of yes”. I really loved the way you created the stories of idioms, which are so helpful to us, your students, to improve our vocabulary and to learn about the English language.

When I was a student, once my English teacher said to me that the best method to study and remember new words was that the student have to use them in his/her essays to make them become his/her own words. So I will try to use the new words, which I have learned from your lesson, as many as I am able to use in my essay “All About Yes”.

Please give comment and correct my mistakes.

Thank you so much!

All About Yes

When asked the question “If you are a boss, or a superior, will you like the person that is a yes-man?”, some people will say “yes” whilst the other people will choose “no”. People, who love the flattering and the feeling that they are the first will like the yes-man because whatever the superiors say the inferior never againsts them, even what they have said is not true. Nevertheless, to people, who seek the new ideas from their workers to develop the company will not like the yes-man. In my paper, I will analyze the reasons of these two kinds of choices.

If you have a chance to be the listener of the discussion between a superior and his workers it is not so difficult to you to see what sort of person the superior is. Relying on the discussions you can get his number. For example, if the superior likes the answers as “Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more.”, “Absolutely.”, “You are absolutely right.” it means he is the person who doesn’t like the contrary views, who thinks he is the most intelligent and important. If some worker dares to express his point of view to the superior it could cause a trouble to him. Some people, who are not yes-men sometimes, have to hide their thoughts, opinions because they do not want to involve in the problem, which may effect his position, or his salary.

On the contrary, there are some superiors, who know the value of the new ideas. These people know that the true sayings help a lot for the companies’ developing and do not like the yes-man who always agrees with those in authority especially when he wants to ingratiate himself with his superiors. Presenting your thoughts to the boss is an art. The true sayings are always good. However, it is much better if you know how to say, how to express your ideas intelligently. Sometimes if you want to be careful in your reply but would also like to express your point of view, the answers “Yes, that’s all very well but…” or “Yes, that may well be so but…” then go on to state your thoughts on the matter will be good in these cases.

Moreover, sometimes, through the answers you will know the conversation partner agree with you or not. He or she may be feels obliged to say “yes” then his or her answers would be “ Yes, I suppose so.”, “Yes, all right if you insist.”, Yes, go on and then.” When the answers are “Yes, you could well be right” it means the person come to cautious agreement. Or when he doesn’t want to get involve in an agreement he will reply “Yes, there’s a lot in what you say.”, “Yes, you do have a point there.”

There is a saying “Words are not paid. Consider the words to make the listener to be pleasured.” So, it is always wise to use the words in the right time, in the right place, in the right case and to the right person.

Hi Hoado,

I have made some changes to your text in capital letters:

Well done. remember to use ‘the’ only when you are referring to something particular and not for general use.

Alan

Alan, thank you so much.

I am very glad that you have helped me to correct the mistakes in my writing. This gives me a push to study harder.

Have a nice day!

Hello Alan,

Please check my writing to see if I have taken out the mistakes right as you suggested me or not. Thank you so much.

All About Yes

When asked the question “If you are a boss, or a superior, will you like the person that is a yes-man?”, some people will say “yes” whilst other people will choose to say “no”. People, who love to be flattered and the feeling that they are the first will like the yes-man because whatever the superiors say the inferior is never against them, even when what they have said is not true. Nevertheless, to people, who seek new ideas from their workers to develop the company will not like the yes-man. In my paper, I will analyze the reasons for these two kinds of choices.

If you have a chance to be the listener of the discussion between a superior and his workers it is not so difficult for you to see what sort of person the superior is. Relying on the discussions you can get his number. For example, if the superior likes the answers as “Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more.”, “Absolutely.”, “You are absolutely right.” it means he is the person who doesn’t like contrary views, who thinks he is the most intelligent and important. If some worker dares to express his point of view to the superior it could cause him trouble. Some people, who are not yes-men sometimes, have to hide their thoughts, opinions because they do not want to become involved in the problem, which may affect his position, or his salary.

On the contrary, there are some superiors, who know the value of new ideas. These people know that true sayings help a lot for companies’ development and do not like the yes-man who always agrees with those in authority especially when he wants to ingratiate himself with his superiors. Presenting your thoughts to the boss is an art. True sayings are always good. However, it is much better if you know how to say, how to express your ideas intelligently. Sometimes if you want to be careful in your reply but would also like to express your point of view, the answers “Yes, that’s all very well but…” or “Yes, that may well be so but…” then go on to state your thoughts on the matter will be good in these cases.

Moreover, sometimes, through the answers you will know whether the conversation partner agrees with you or not. He or she maybe feels obliged to say “yes” then his or her answers would be “ Yes, I suppose so.”, “Yes, all right if you insist.”, Yes, go on and then.” When the answers are “Yes, you could well be right” it means the person has come to a cautious agreement. Or when he doesn’t want to get involved in an agreement he will reply “Yes, there’s a lot in what you say.”, “Yes, you do have a point there.”

There is a saying “Words are not paid. Consider the words you use to make the listener pleased.” So, it is always wise to use words at the right time, in the right place, in the right case and to the right person.

Hi Alan
i’m really like your style of writting . i hope to learn some of your skills in writting pls help me
it’s my pleasure to be one of the students of yours

Dear Alan,

Though I am not a Yes-man, I’ d like to say: “Yes, You are a good essayist.”

Regards,

Yuri

That’s really awesome Alan. Yet, for I am not a native speaker, I could not put all of them in minds, and I don’t want to bother myself, otherwise it will be a slip of the tongue. So I make some modifications on my own style according to my limited capabilities. I for one would prefer to retain this words only, ‘yes please, no thanks, absolutely, I would prefer bla bla bla, it’s up to you, as you wish, okay if you insist, alright you win, go ahead, go on please’. That’s all words I can cope with. And suppose I don’t really understand their talks, then to avoid misunderstanding, I would prefer to paraphrase them on my own just for confirmation, or ask them to say it again in other words. That works for me, and release my burden some.
:smiley:
Lina

Hello,

Thank you for the essay, lovely as usual.

I knew once a boss who couldn’t stand being contradicted in any way. Once he was wrong about the day of the week (Wednesday instead of Thursday), and when we brought him a calendar, he maintained that he was right and the calendar was wrong…
Tragicomical, isn’t it?

All the best!

Hi~ my name is brandon j
I always enjoying your essay.
Thank u.

I agree with you, there are many ways to say one thing…no only a YES…our lenguages are so rich,that we can use differents ways to give the same meaning.

Regards…Carlos.

Hello Mr Alan; thanks very much for these great work thanks
please Iwant to know the difference b rather and prefer
and although-However-despite-despite of
thanks very much

Hi Alan Sir
Thank you for your Essay “the language of yes”. Really It was good.
We cannot say yes to anybody whoever it may be whether superior
or inferior. Before saying yes to anyperson, we should know the
situation, message, conseqence of that matter and when,where,how,
what it is happening. You have clearly explained in easy way the
expression of yes.

Thank you Sir

S.Shanthi

Dear Alan,
It was so rich and useful essay as usual but yea I have confused about how can I learn and remember them???Help me dear teacher. Because ‘Action speak louder than words’. About me, I will go through fire and water to remember how can I use them in variety conditions?? :frowning:
With the best regard
Poor Mitra
P.S :This is almost my face when I read this nice essay.

HI EVERY BODY…I AM VERY HAPPY BY THESE ESSAY .
I WANT TO ASK YOU ONE FAVOR PLEASE…
PLEASE SEND TO ME MY PROGRESS REPORT.AS I DID NOT RECEIVE SINCE LONG BACK
THANKS