Word in your ear (hand)

Hi everyone:
I need a hand with my english.
I like very much bacause I learn each class something new.
thanks .
Arigirl.

Hi

This is really interesting . Thank you

Jo

Hi Dear Alan
I want to express my gratitute for the excellent way of teaching the words,
and I d like to know more about the usuall way of speaking that are mostly expressed in figurative way that i can not fount out what they are up to.for example " It’s a dead-on spoof of a hard truth" or many other stuff
thanks in advance
Anahid

HI EVERYONE!!
I READ THE ARTICLE AND I THINK THAT IT WAS INTERESTING BECAUSE WE’VE ALREADY KNOWN ABOUT DIFFERENT WORDS, BUT TO INTERPRET THEIR MEANING AND TO KNOW THEIR CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT TOO. I BELIEVE THAT THIS KIND OF TEACHING IT COULD BE USEFUL FOR US IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND BETTER THE DIFFERENT ENGLISH LESSONS.
REGARDS!!!

Hi,
This is just amazing and very helpful for people like us whose mother tongue is not English. One more use I would like to add is “hands on” e.g., 'They are looking for someone who has got hands on experience of the job"
Regards

Hi Alan,

Article was very good. Thanks.

I have one question.

What I understood is, here hand is used for physical help (Is it right?). If I want someone to help me in a mental work (solving a puzzle) then what should I use/ask? I don’t think using hand word will be good but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Hi Clarion,

Although it’s not as common, you can use it as an idiom to ask for help with mental work too.
“Please can you give me a hand with this maths problem.”

Alternatively, a ‘neater’ solution would be to ask someone to help you ‘figure something out’.
“Please can you help me figure out this maths problem.”

sir, in the sentence below, instead of “hands of” , i think it should be “hands off”.

They decided to wash their hands of (have no more to do with) the whole scheme when they discovered it was dishonest.

thanks.

Hello Pushkaroec,

Welcome to the forums.
‘Hands of’ is correct here. To ‘wash one’s hands of something’ is an idiomatic expression which means to remove oneself from having anything to do with it.
‘Hands off’ is an altogether different expression. To ‘take one’s hands off something’ has the literal meaning of removing one’s hands from whatever it is.

thanks sir.

Dear Alan
This activity is very handy.
I need a connection with you to correct task 1 and 2 of IELTS writing module.
drvahidfarahmand@live.com is my email.
Anyway thanks and happy new year
Vahid

Hi Alan Sir

Thank you for essay “A word in your ear”. It was good.
I have no comments about this essay.
Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hi Alan

Thanks for giving me your hand through this forum. It is very handy for me.

Regards,

April

Hi Alan
Thanks for giving me your hand through this forum.

Regrads,

April

Hi Alan,
If I say thanks for this tip, I won’t give you what you deserve, and if I write from now to next year , also I won’t give the proper gratitude from me and also others so( thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you, and keep on).
Best regards

Dear Alan,
Thank you for teaching us and make it easy for students or other as second language. And I will ask you a question, how I can learn more a grammar in easy way? Because I’m international students.

Hi,

There is unfortunately no easy way to learn the grammar of the language. The important thing is not to let grammar get in your way of learning English. Just read as much as you can (newspapers and books) and listen and watch as much English language broadcasts as you can and you will gradually find that you are using and learning ‘grammar’ all the time.

Alan

I like all your topics really ,and this the first time I send amessage .
thank you for helping me improve my Enlish .
Mashair

hi Alan,

i like this new series " a word in your ear" its very helpful

i hope i can receive more words thats is new and also slang words.

i really appriciated that you are helping me to learn english

thank you

Dear Alan,
Thank for your all emails
I want to learn about Synonym and Antonym.