Why do you want to improve your English?

Hi Masmori, learning English is like doing sports and eating: You need to do it on a constant basis. As soon as you stop, you get in trouble. Learning and using English is an ongoing process that lasts as long as you live. You can travel to an English speaking country any time and continue using and improving your English there.

well . Hi to every body.
I want to speak english because I have an english daughter and to English grandchildren . Both of the boys don’t want to study Spanish , so I t my age have to study like a child . i go an Institute to learn english three time a week.
I love England , thepeople , the landscape , the buildings , the villages , the cities and so on.
I go everyyears to meet my family, the problem is to be undestand by the children . Wth my daughters perent’s i law i speak a lot . They know that for meit’s a gret effort to learn another language.
Regards for all of you
SSuan

1 Like

To get a well paid job with all the fine perks it has to offer.

Undoubtedly.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Hi!

I’m learning English because I have good friends who don’t speak Romanian and I need to communicate with them: understand what they say, make myself understood, have fun, feel good.

Another reason for learning English is that I need it while visiting other countries – I can’t get lost and I can find or get anything I want, by using English – I tried it in France, in Germany, in Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Greece, and it worked perfectly – it’s not hard to find people who can give good information in English.

There is also my job, where I often need to read and write correspondence with our suppliers and customers from abroad and I have to be exact, in order to avoid any misunderstanding.

I don’t want to stop learning because there are many things that I don’t know yet, like for example phrasal verbs from which I know well only a few – I’d like to use them much more, but it’s very easy to mix them up, so I often prefer to use some other words instead.

Does anybody know what I can do to learn and use more than a few phrasal verbs correctly? What did you people do for it? Please, give me some advice.

Monica

1 Like

You’ll find a lot of phrasal verbs covered by the materials Sir Alan Townend has written here:

Thanks, Torsten, for the knighthood. Funny thing is that the Queen never bothered to let me know!

Alan

Hi!
With or without knighthood -), Alan gathered the phrasal verbs and presented them to us in the best manner possible. It’s much easier to learn things if they are systematized like that. I’m grateful for it.
But my question still stands: I will understand them very well, but how will I learn them or let’s say … half of them, since they are that many? I hate memorizing.
Many thanks, Torsten, Alan and Minhajquazi .
Monica

Sir, i’ve never sign up. i want improve my english for many reasons .i currently cunduct practical with students from health technologies and Nov i was busy for first born naming ceremony.
Many thanks mr. Torsten.

hello. I want to improve my english because I want to communicate with people in english languages.and improve my speaking skill. .I like traveling and when I go some country english help me to understand people. to explane what I want.

I work with opera singrs from many parts of the world, so I need speake english im my work. I am studing alone, every day for 1 hour and I reckon that my english is getting better slowly. I like so much this site, for me me is absolutely good to learn english. I’m sure I can reach my gool if I try a little more every day. I like to use differents sources to learn,differents sites and books, because I can see differents ways to learn. I don’t know if it’s a good way to learn, but I’m Trying.
Regards,
Julianna Santos

Hi. My name is Verica.
Why do I want to improve my English? Well, I teach in Technical Highschool. My Courses are all about computers, Control Systems and computer controlled Control Systems. Offcourse, there are some elements with computer programming. If I want to present some new stuffs, I need to dig all over the Internet, to find some appropriate materials. It helps that my students also learn English, but not always. And, yes, all materials I can find is in English, German or Russian.
Second reason is my love for Science Fiction. I like to read ebooks from various authors.
And third and not least important, my comunication skill needs some polishing.
I want to improve my grammar and my vocabulary . Like some people here, I also make a lot of mistakes over and over again.

1 Like

Hello Torsten, Happy new year!

I wish to improve my English for reason profesional . My objective is to become
Coordinator of flight and so I have to have a good level in english if I want to find quickly a job.
furthermore I have difficulty to understand exactly your texts and so I take time to answer you. I have problems with certain prepositions et turn of phrase.

Regards,
Fatima

Hi Alan, I guess the Queen will have to put up with the fact that she no longer is the only person who is the authority to knight somebody. You have long been an English-Test Knight.

Why do you want to improve your English?
The primary reason why I want to improve my English is … gain self-confidence in using a foreign language!
Currently, I have a lot of possibilities to achieve the desired effect. I live in the UK. I work solely with native British.
My job requires technical language skills. Being online, regular reading and exercises perfectly help me develop linguistic
abilities. I’m going to leave in the near future for Australia. I would like to prepare myself for the best.
It is a huge motivation for me! Without proper language skills I do not have a chance!

Regards

From my childhood it was my dream to understand foreign languages and now I want to go abroad for continue my study. so it’s necessary to learn English as well as I can. I am going to take an exam, actually TOEFL test and hope to get satisfiable score!
More ever, English is a world language and by learning that, I can communicate with different people around the world. as you know, almost all scientific paper are in English, and because I really passionate about them so it can help me to read different papers.
Finally if I did not learn English, How could I find this nice forum?

Hi, I look forward to reading one of your essays on the TOEFL preparation forum!

Hi Torsten,

For me being able to understand English is like having a window open to see and understand the world we live in better. But once the window starts opening, there is another desire of being able to participate and exchange ideas.

Cheers,
Hanna

Hi Torsten,
In your latest email, you asked me “why do you want to improve your English” and I would like to answer that I really want to improve my English because of some reasons:
First, now English is considered as a second language in many country and if you are good English speaker, you’ll find a good place or job and my country, Vietnam is not an exception.
Second, because English is the most popular language in the world now, so if you want to learn, grow and expand your knowledge, you’d better learn English as soon as possible.
And, above all, for me, the main reason is I am preparing for studying abroad this year, so I need to improve my English as well as I can :slight_smile:
Dear Torsten, I would like to thank you very much for your kind help and also want to receive more and more useful lessons from you in the future.
Mai,