Why do you want to improve your English?

I need to learn to speak English.It is very important. Firstly, Knowledge of English makes a big difference. Here, people don’t get a good job if they don’t have good communication skill and they don’t speak english. I study in a law college. Here every one speaks English , Professors interacts with us in english only. For a student like me who knows little english ,it is very difficult. Whenever I speak and make mistakes my classmates treats me as I am stupid and illiterate, they laugh at me. I feel very bad. My best friends they all can speak english fluently and they know I can’t ,they treat me like they pity me.I am loosing my confidence and self esteem.Secondaly, here law is written in english and the legal proceedings goes on in english only.When I will be a lawyer , I will have to be a good speaker , I will have to present my arguments in front of the judge properly. This is why learning english is important for me. For my carreer and also to gain my confidence.

Hi dear Torsten
I study language teaching at university,and I hope to be a good teacher after my graduation because I really like it,and it’s a way that I can make money,besides I live in one of cities of Iran named Isfahan. It’s a beautiful city,and a lot of tourists come here to visit historical buildings and bridges.I like to speak with them and ask them some question about their countries and their feelings about my country.Another reason is I like to travel to another countries I think if I know English I can communicate with people and learn a lot from them in addition I can have a good time there,so I’m trying hard to improve my English because I think it can make my future.
At the end I’ll be happy if you help me learn more expressions and idiom that English people use in their daily conversation.
Best regards
Elham

Hi,
Well,the prime drive behind this endeavor is my appreciation of its significance even on free breathing. :)And that is why i need to improve my English. I know I need all the more to be specific here. So i shall.Each & every stuffs around me that forms my world or the environment i belong indeed demands me to be an English connoisseur-my family,some of my friends who are dearer to me,my teachers, our family friends,my church ,its activities there & the like. In fact, unfortunately,i lost friendship of a person of whom I cherish much because of language barrier.She then moved in search of other friends:( .I couldn’t make it up still now.Also,the persons I met frequently such as my parents friends, colleagues speak in English.I had many situations in my life where i got embarrassed or disappointed on my lost opportunities and possible recognition.Even now I am little shy of beginning fearing of any mistakes. On the whole I dissuade myself from doing or speaking upfront due to this inferiority complex.
Hope I will get over it one day!
Regards,
GIBI

1 Like

Hello all

First I want to say that I agree with Milka. Also for me English has proved to be a challenge. We know that English is the first spoken language worldwide. Even if you search for something on google search engine, you will get better results by searching it into english. So either if I wanted to speak with my friends from other countries, or I had to read and understand a material safety data sheet at work, a bit of English knowledge has proved to be very useful indeed. So for me knowing English it is a great challenge. To learn English more easily I use the online dictionary, or I search the word for meaning directly on google, then I use pronunciation sites like ,howjsay.com’', I listen to music and I watch movies with english subtitles, I read song’s lyrics and where I find something that I am not really to sure about or I don’t understand, I use the methods that were mentioned above. Not to long ago I have found this awesome site and on this way I would like to thank english-team for their great great work.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hi

Since the English has been considered as number one “International Language”, and
this language is being used by all sectors like Government, private and public sectors
for their communication and other works, we need to improve the English. The English language is best tool in which
all people global wise they can communicate/analysis about the concept of anything
which they work for.

By considering all these factors, we have been advised by the ETN to improve our English
as early as possible/as much as possible/as best as possible. If we go outside from your
place where you don’t know any language other than your mother tongue, you will find
difficult to manage with that people. If you know English alone you can manage the whole show without difficulty. You don’t need to learn all states languages other than
English.

Wish you all the very best

S.Shanthi

hi, every one

I am ganaje from somalia i hope if i make a mistake you will correct me because, i am not advanced learner.if i talk about my idea towards learning english.
I believed that the only way i can learn english is to live USA UK or CANADA and also every where else where the native speakers are available.But now i believe it depens on your efforts because i saw many people who learnt english fasty living their home and have never gone any where else.

Hi Ganaje,

Welcome to the Forum for developing your English to reach Excel. I hope you have
chosen right place and top forum for learning English. Don’t think that you can
improve your English with Native Speakers only, in our forum there non-native speakers
like us/me have improved our English, of course our English may not be up to the
standard of Native Speakers, but we have achieved our goal/dreams to some extent.
You cannot expect forum to correct all mistakes of learners, since the learners are
more than 50,000. For this you can practice Advanced level Grammar Exercises,
TOEIC/TOFEL, Alan’s Stories ,it will enrich your knowledge.

Don’t bother about your mistakes, it will get improved by regular writing to the Forum
and you can chat with your friends/learners on the Forum in Global level, it will feel like that
you are all round the world, taking,chatting writing with people by sitting in front of
Laptop/Computer/phone through internet.

For knowing improvement in writing, after following any of the above methods, you can check your writing skill in Grammar Checker which is available on the Forum/Google.

Wish you all the very best

S.Shanthi

1 Like

Hi, Nicu

The two alligator-ladies have a nice :-(( conversation there in your picture!

What I want to say is that even the most unexpected sources can be used here on the Forum, to learn English, right? I’ve just realized it :-))

Monica

Dear Sir,

If I check my text in Grammar Checker, it shows that “writing style” to be improved.
I don’t know what do they mean “Writing Style”, how to improve that, could you
please explain to me Sir?

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Dear Sir,

If I check my text in Grammar Checker, it shows that “writing style” to be improved.
I don’t know what do they mean “Writing Style”, how to improve that, could you
please explain to me Sir?

Thank you

S.Shanthi

P.S. Sending Messages are not downloading fast for the past three days, it has made
me for not writing further on the Forum.

1 Like

Sir,

I don’t know why my Topic post reply does not exist. I want to know the reason for
this. I asked you to give an explanation for writing style. I will not write further
unless I get a reply for this. Is there anything wrong in my request,if so please
ignore this mail.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hi, Torsten your reply to milka seems upright for me. I also had the same feeling at the first phase of learning english via CNN IBN & Newspaper.Many times I thought of giving up the effort.however i managed myself to listen and read.Now I feel confident Ihave no live up to the level .So still I am striving reach my goal.

Gibi

Hi Torsten,

I want to improve my English because currently I live in India and my mother tongue is Portuguese. I’m from Brazil and in Brazil people speak only Portuguese…
So have many languages in India… but mostly the Indian population will know “English” and all the companies in India will have communication in English only.
Currently I am working as Portuguese Linguist and my work will be translate documents and emails from Portuguese to English and vice versa.
I am also giving Portuguese training in my office so I need a good communication in English too.
This website is really very good.
I’m sure I will improve my English through this website.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m learning English because it’s a beautiful language which is spoken all around the world and because it has a great medieval history and invaluable literature.

1 Like

Good evening, everyone!
There are many reasons for me to choose English as my second language. Firstly, I love electronics and as you probably know, most of knowledge in the field is written in English. Knowing English helps me a lot. I can read books, watch videos about the subject everywhere. To be honest, many electronics books written in Vietnamese is not so good and a bit difficult to understand. Therefore, when I want to know something new, I usually try to find its origin and what are written in English. They explain it in a detailed and very elegant way that I think everybody can gasp it easily.
Secondly, I like to listening to music, especially in English. Everyday, on the way to school or somewhere else, I always take an iPod and listen to something else in English.
I have actually studied English for one and a haft year. Hope my English will be improved.

1 Like

Hello Torsten,
I am new here. I am poor in English. I want to practise and improve my English here. I love the language very much. I want to create blog by improving my knowledge of English here. Could you please tell me, what is the best way to improve my English? Please help me!!

Thank you in advance!!
Amit Ganguly.

1 Like

English is an International Language. I mean If someone want to travel as a trourist, for studies, for work, or as immigrant he needs the language as basic for communication.

I count myself Lucky, when my parents cared to put my in a private school where I learned formal Arabic, French and English.

I love English language, it is very easy in comparison with Arabic and French. I don’t mind having fun learning more and more about it.

I practice my English all day long with my co-workers, neighbours, everywhere.

I am ambitious, It is real that I am happy at work, good pay, with health insurance, good team work, nice manager. But I want to improve myself.

I need to improve my formal English language to compete with native English speakers, to get a better job or position.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I moved to a country where people speak English a couple years ago. I have to learn English to survive, though that is not easy! I am attending some ESL classes. My goal is going to college, but I am not sure I can do it because I am not very young. However, I love learning English and would like to speak English fluently as well. For me, speaking English is very hard because my first language is totally different. I always pronoun words incorrectly and that makes people misunderstand me. Sometimes, I feel disappointed because my classmates speak English very well while I am still struggling with it. When I write something, I have time to think, so it is a little bit easier. Please help me how to speak English correctly. Thanks a lot.

Samkimchi

1 Like

Hello Samkimchi;

I am a student as you are, but I have an advise for you.
To learn proper English either you watch English News on T.V. or on Radio and try to repeat after each short sentence. If you find it a little hard or quick for you, you can always listen to English language for kids;
examples: “Sesame Street” show on T.V. or you can book English CDs for kids. Believe me they articulate clear and slow so you can get exactly what they are saying and repeat it after them.

Thats out of my own experience. Good luck.
Yvette

Hi Yvette, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences and ideas with us. Please note that the noun advice is uncountable so you can say ‘some advice’. Also, the word ‘advise’ is a verb. Finally, please remember the correct spelling of the world ‘always’. 7