Why do you want to improve your English?

Hello Torsten,
I want to improve my English because I’m looking for a job.
I’m Italian and, you know, here in this period is a bad moment about “the world of work”, so I hope to succeed improving my skills.
This is my first time here on the forum, please check my mistakes, I promise to be more assiduous.
Thank you for your good job,
Barbara.

Hello every one

I must improve my english proficiency because I need english .

Each time i wanna read one text is written in english i have a lot of problem with this.
Each time i gonna communicate with some one i fail .
For these reason and another resons I decide to learn this language meanwhile I must take TOEFL exam and this reason motivate me to do this work immediately.

You could demonstrate an immediate improvement of your written English by following a few simple, basic rules:

The word ‘English’ should always be capitalised. (Likewise other proper nouns).
The pronoun ‘I’ should always be capitalised (regardless of its position in a sentence).
There should be no space between a word and the following full stop or comma.
You should avoid slang such as ‘wanna’ and ‘gonna’. The correct forms are ‘want to’ and ‘going to’. (In your writing, ‘going to’ (gonna) in incorrect anyway — it should be ‘Each time I go to communicate…’

I want to improve my English language because I want to share my ideas, my know-how with another people from different country. My English level is not advanced, unfortunately :frowning: But every day I try to listen information, dialogues, etc. in English language. And I’m using that site :slight_smile:
Big problem from my side is lack of time, but I try to learn every day, about one hour.

Warm greetings from Poland!
Agnieszka

Hi everyone,
Every single one of us has their own reasons to learn English. Well my reason is to study further and communicate with people without any misunderstanding.
And I believe with the right support, I will get there.
Emilyxx

I study English since the year 1989 and I love it. My main objective is mastering the language and last March I got a 610 Toefl score on the paper based test. I have an academic degree that is Letters (Portuguese and English) and my next step will be applying for my master’s degree in Toronto, so keep your fingers crossed. Needless to say, I relish doing your tests and this formidable site was an indication from a teacher of AESL located in Rio de Janeiro. Sincere thanks for your invaluable site. Keep it up!
José Sarto de A. Silva
Cachoeira de Minas - MG state
Brazil

Firstly, I will go to abroad with my family as a student. Surly, I have to contact with others to live. I need to search for apartment or house also I want to know where my university is! When I need to order any thing I must be have English language to make my dreams come true.
That is why I want to prove my English

the only reason why I’m learning English is that I want to have a good job. And with a good job, I can earn a lot of money, and with a lot of money, I can live the way I want to live without any caring about what other people are talking behind me!
Ummm, ok, there’re maybe not only one reason. I think I love English, haha, somehow i don’t even know. but I do. I know I do!
P/s : i’m saying the truth, but it’s not the real truth. You know, kind of… it’s true, but it’s not the main reason why, it’s just a part of what so-called … goal, or something whoever know!, even though I know that no one will read this as I (not so usually, haha) read what others write on this forum! haha, I’m sorry for that, but I promise to give more time to read … your post! Just tell me who you are, send me a message if you can! the one who read my post! :00

I want to improve my english because it had been a very difficult subject to many and I am not exceptional. I will be glad if i will be able to speak english fluently and not only speaking it, but writting and reading it freely. It will make me to be open and interactive with people and also make me to be confident in myself. I like English Language and its one of my best subjects.

Hi, I would like to improve my English so that I can speak and communicate with other English speaker confidently.

Dear Teacher Torsten,
I read your mail some weeks ago and now I would like giving my reason why I want to learn and improve English.
I don’t know what other people’s thoughts are, but I really feel uncomfortable when I don’t understand what I hear from foreign people saying and what i watch on television’s foreign programes.So I really want to learn and improve my English so that I can read, watch foreign novel, news and talk with foreign people.I hope with your support,someday I can understand what foreign people say even in my sleep

Dear Torsten,

Thank you for your question! I am pleased to explain why i want to improve my English. First, English is a language that most people around the world speak everyday, and my expectation is travelling abroad; so if i can speak English well, it would be easy for me for venturing around the world. Second, I am interested in teaching, and I hope that i can be a good teacher in the near future. These two points can prove to the question why i want to improve my English.

Your sincerely,

Yara

1 Like

I feel a bit reluctant in posting a message in the forum. It’s not that my English is very poor. You are right, it may be the fear of making mistakes. Nobody is going to reprove my mistakes here, yet feel some shyness.
My knowledge in English is enough for my professional need. Yet I want to learn more. I feel some inefficiency when I talk to some of my friends living abroad. As I don’t talk in English in my day to day life, I lack the fluency while talking or writing to such friends. I can see while writing this message that this exercise really helps in improving one’s skill in English. I will really like someone correcting my mistakes, if any, committed here in this message.

Well done on overcoming your reluctance and posting a very well-written paragraph, Sattyamm.
I suggest the following changes:

I feel a bit reluctant in posting a message in the forum. It’s not that my English is very poor. You are right, it may be the fear of making mistakes. Nobody is going to reprove my mistakes here, yet I feel some shyness.
My knowledge of English is enough for my professional need. Yet I want to learn more. I feel some inefficiency when I talk to some of my friends living abroad. As I don’t speak in English in my day to day life, I lack the fluency while talking or writing to such friends. I can see while writing this message that this exercise really helps in improving one’s skill in English. I would really like someone to correct the mistakes, if there are any, that I have committed here in this message.

1 Like

Not sure why ‘the’ is highlighted before ‘fluency’. I think it would be better not to have any article there.

Look closer. There is a ‘strikethrough’ mark through it.

Thanks Beeesneees for correcting my post. It really helps.

Dear Torsten,
The lesson 20 starts with the sentence: ‘It just occurred to me that I don’t know that much about you’. What does ‘ït just occurred to me’ mean?

I’ve just realised that I don’t know much about you.

1 Like

For me, more important than explaining reasons of studying language is finding the end point where I can tell frankly that I know it very well!
Until now, I couldn"t find anyone who tell the students “well! you are expert in english language now.Congratulation! From then now,you are able to travel the english language countries and solve your problems alone. Good bye and good luck.Leave the class!”

Therefore I dont know how much and when until one should study it?
Are there any criteria?

1 Like