Why did you start freelancing? (New job)

HCMC indeed, @tim_m! Went there with an offer to teach at a school in 2013 and ended up staying 6 years, teaching and writing. Too much great food, good money, and good lifestyle to leave after only a year or two. I actually never got to travel around much of Thailand – only Bangkok. My GF used to live there so it was never on our radar of places to go. Tokyo, HK, Taipei were my favorite cities, but I also loved BKK. Whereabouts are you based?

4 Likes

Hello everybody! I just wanted to say that I wish you good health during the covid-19 outbreak. I hope you and your loved ones are okay in these difficult times. @Natalia_Polteva, @tim_m, @KellyW, @Sumejja, @Tamar, @Sean-C, @Andrea, @Leonika

8 Likes

Thank you for your kind wishes @Elida :relaxed: I also hope you and your friends and family are doing well too!

5 Likes

Thank you @Elida! I hope you all stay safe; we’ll get through this! I’m going to try to develop a new skill called patience; I’ve heard it’s useful for situations like this! :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you @Elida. May you and your family remain safe too. Thank you for thinking about all of us. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Yeah those cities are on my list of places I would love to live, too. Currently, I’m here in Bangkok but I’ve spent the past four years teaching in a really small province near the Laos border. I think that’s how I was able to pick up the language so quickly. Not too many English speaking locals in the rural areas of Thailand. I have plans to relocate to New Zealand, but we shall see given everything that’s going on now with the new travel bans. It looks like I may be extending my time here in Thailand for now. How did you find teaching in Vietnam? It seems their English is a bit further ahead of the other countries in South East Asia.

3 Likes

“Sumejja” - Similar to Indian (Sanskrit language basically which is one of the oldest languages on Earth (or oldest language)) names. We have - Suvidha, Sumathi, Suguna - etc female names!

2 Likes