What do you think of this audio recording (1 present simple)?

Hello.
I enjoy listening audio. The listening is really good. But I have a question about the meaning of “SMODLEY” in the article?

Andrew Smodley is the name of the main character in the story.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Out for a ride[YSaerTTEW443543]

Oh, yes. Thank you very much Torsten.

You’re welcome ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Relaxing[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten. There is a mistake in the audio recording compared with the text.
In the text is" When we want to make a question we also use do after I/you/we/they and does after he/she/it" and she said “When we want to make a question we also use don’t after I/you/we/they and doesn’t after he/she/it: …”.
Can you correct, or can put a note for those who are confused about this?
Thanks
Ramo

"Andrew worried about the weather, the state of the pound, his health, the cost of living and once he even worried because he thought he wasn’t worrying enough. "
I don’t know why we use the Past continuous tense “he wasn’t worrying enough” ? Please tell me.
Thank you so much.
Thuy

Hi

I refer to the following sentence

“I live in a small village by a little stream and around this time of year lots of creatures start to wake up and make a lot of noise.”

Why isn’t the word ‘the’ be used in between the word ‘of and year’. e.g. I live… and around this time of THE year lots…?

Thank you.

Why do we say “kettle” of fish instead of species or kind? Just wondering…

We don’t!
‘A kettle of fish’ is an idiomatic saying which has nothing to do with the species or kind of fish.

A pretty kettle of fish is an expression used to indicate that there is a mess, problem or predicament. There are at least two possible origins, the first of which relates to a Kiddle. This was a grille put across a stream to catch fish. It could become full of weeds and only a few fish; alternatively, the fish might have become damaged. In any case there was a pretty kiddle of fish.
The second theory is more accepted. In this instance the “kettle”, the local name for a cooking pot, was taken on picnics by Scottish gentry. Salmon were caught straight from the river and cooked on the bankside. Such an outing was known as a kettle of fish. How the current usage arose is not clear.

This thread has become a pretty kettle of fish! There are unrelated questions running right through it now.

Hi Dphuongthuy,

The reason is that ‘worrying’ is a continuous process in this context.

Alan

Hi Gee,

The sentence would be equally correct if ‘the’ were to be inserted where you suggest.
It’s just one of the oddities of the English language that the article can be omitted in this type of context.

Hello, all my teachers

I know the listening is the most important to comunicate with other person. I try to listen the music and ask myself first " What is the sound I’ve heard " Then, I try to translate them wich is sometime unreasonable. English is very difficult to llsten. Example, trouble is a friend of mind. I heard " trouble - is - a - friend - doff - mine"
The sound of “doff” make me confuse " What is doff ?" It’s easy for the other but me.

English is not being used as an official language in my country. However, I will try so on.[/u]

Hi!
I enjoy listening audio. That’s wonderful. i m new here
I have question about the meaning of “the state of the pound”
thank you
gouri

Hi nagar,

That phrase usually refers to how well the pound is doing against other currencies in the world economic market… what the raste of exchange is and whether it is worth a lot against other currencies.

Hello,
Beeesneees
Thank you very much for the reply

ya its nice, i like that her way of speaking

Hi everyone,

I read this story and the last part (“ANDREW SMODLEY HANDS THE RING TO SALLY FAIRWEATHER’S FUTURE HUSBAND") was confused for me, because I had the idea that, at the end, Andrew married Sally.

But reading this section of the forum, finally I understood that Andrew was not the bridegroom but the best man. So the mentioned caption is now clear for me.

I enjoyed this story and I can say that this forum is pretty useful for people as us who are learning English.

Cheers!

Hi, can anyone explain the literal meaning of “worrying never gets you anywhere” and the meaning of extention?

thanks!

Hi,

This means that there is no purpose/point in worrying because it is a waste of time. The word is ‘extension’ and it comes from the verb ‘extend’ which means ‘make longer.’ An extension could refer to an extra building added on to a house or also making a licence or permit last a longer time than the original period of time.

Alan

Good evening, Mr.Townend

The article is classical. Sorry ,I didn’t make myself clear enough. Maybe" the extention meaning" is what I wanted to express.

Can you kindly give me a few more examples using other words instead of “worrying”?

Thanks a lot!

yours sincerely,

Rocconeri