What do you think of this audio recording (1 present simple)?

Hi,

Could you please share your feedback on the following audio recording by Brandee? I like it very much – the only thing is that at the very beginning there is some background noise that sounds as if was caused by a cellphone/computer interference. What do you think? Audio version of “It never gets you anywhere”

Thanks a lot,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Inter-office assistance[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,
I have questions about the meaning of “pub” and “kettle of fish” in the article?
thank you

Hi Just A Friend,

Welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for your questions. A pub is a place where you can go for a drink and meet people. “A different kettle of fish” is a phrase that means “a different issue or situation”.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Whitewater kayaking[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply. I like what you’re doing. I hope I can find an American English site. If you have any idea about that , I would be very grateful to you.Some of the words and phrases aren’t familiar for me like the question I asked you yesterday.

Sincerely,
Just A Friend

Dear Sir,

I really enjoy your all lessons.All of your lessons are very understandable.I am anticipating to follow all of your English lessons.when it was begining all the
audio lessons were clearly heared.But around one week I am unable to hear these audio explanations.when I click audio it’s appears connecting and also finally indicates
file not found. could you please help me this. it will be a big help for my english fluency.also I am anticipating your next lesson.Thanks for your cooparation.God bless you.

your’s faithfully

Shantha lal

When you start explaining the last part about do and does, you say: When we want to make a question we also use don’t after I/you/we/they and doesn’t after he/she/it:

Do you speak Chinese? Does she work here? What do you do for a living? How do you usually get to work? Maybe you wanted to explain about interrogative negative questions, but you start the examples with do and does and not with don´t and doesn´t as in the above lines. I hope you understood my explanation.
Sincerely,
Julio

sir Torsten

i dont understand anything please help me what can i do in this link: How to learn English?
so sorry

Hi!
I enjoy listening audio. That’s wonderful. I can practice listening.
It’s good that there are articles because I can not understand for some part, it’s too fast for me.
However, I try to listen your audio more and more.
I am so happy.
thanks u all.

Hi!
The listening is really good. But I have some questions concerning using the Present Simple tense. I’m clear with sentence like “It was in the spring when leaves appear on trees”, but why have we used the present simple here “The moment he crossed the doorstep an old schoolfriend comes up to Andrew, offers to buy him a drink and tells him not to look so worried” and here “He jumps down from the platform onto the track and waves at the train driver to stop. The train stops and Andrew gets onto it.”…If I were author I would use the past simple…Where have I mixed up?
Best regards.

Hi Romashka,

The reason why I used the Present Simple in this narrative was that I wanted to make the action seem more direct. This is a device known as the ‘historic present’ and is also used in speech when you are describing something and you want to make your story more dramatic as in: So I come into the pub and there sitting by the bar is Joe. And I ask him how he is and he tells me that things are going from bad to worse …

Hope this explains the usage.

Alan

Thank you very much Alan. Your explanation is very understandable!
I guess it’s demanding much experience to use and to mix ‘historic present’ with ‘past’ without misunderstandings in real-time situations…

Can you answer this question? Why do you use don’t and doesn’t after I/you/we/they?

Hi, I’m new here. I really enjoy your lessons. I have a question about the meaning of “set off” in this sentence: “It was late April and the sun had disappeared behind dark heavy rain clouds but Andrew had already set off for the local pub.”

Hi Betapdu,

‘Set off for’ means leave the house to go in the direction of. In the sentence you have quoted it means that Andrew had left home and was walking in the direction of/towards the local pub.

Alan

Thanks for your help. And what about the question of Julio? Why do you use don’t after I/you/we/they when you make a question in present simple tense?

i guess, there is mistype here… :smiley:

Is this correct? “He didn’t” - as far as I know it should be “He doesn’t”. Please explain and clarify. Thanks in advance for the usual help.

Good morning Bertvalen. The two are entirely different meanings.

He didn’t go to work today… Something he normally does do.

He doesn’t usually stay off work… Something he doesn’t often do.

Hope that helps.

Kitosdad.

Hello Torsten I listening now the SPT first lesson it was easy ans I understood the whole vocabulary.

how to we prepare for toefl test ibt?