Wanted: English trainers in Eilenburg

Hi everybody,

We are looking for English language trainers who want to take part in the following training project:

period: Monday, August 22, 2011 through to October 14, 2011
time: from 8 am to 3 pm, (8 units 45 minutes each), Monday through Friday

The group consists of about 12 people who want to increase their job chances by improving their English. The course is funded by the federal labour/employment agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit, Eilenburg).

For previous courses, please check these threads:
ESL/teaching English job: Nordhausen July 14 through September 21, 2009
ESL job: Nordhausen October 6 through December 14, 2009
ESL Trainers wanted: TOEIC prep course Nordhausen, January to July 2010
English trainers wanted: Nordhausen January 17 through April 8 2011

If you are interested, please contact us here on the forum.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Motocross[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten. I am also interested in this course. Please contact me at laurennesideen at googlemail.com or 0152 238 626 36

Hello Torsten Daerr,
My friend, Jason Palumbo, informed me of this very interesting opening. My email is creeney at gmail.com and my handy is 015226302613.
It would be great to be in touch.
Many best wishes,
Maurice Fitzpatrick

Dear Torsten,
yes I’m interested in this post. My handy number is 07972 593 189. Ich auch Spricht Deutsch aber noch nicht fliesend, nur ganz wenig. In der Vergangenheit ich war in Freiburg im Breisgau und Ilmenau in der Thueringen Wald. Deutsche leute magst einen Englisch Lehrer mit Deutsch. Entschuldigung mein Deutsch Grammatik ist nicht perfekt! Doch ich magst Deutschland!
best wishes,
Paul Murphy

Dear Laurenne, Paul and Maurice,

Thank you very much for your interest in this course. Glenn has already agreed to teach the whole period together with Scott Graham so maybe we can work together next time.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Checking a fireplace[YSaerTTEW443543]

hallo. my name is agnes. I am from Poland but from six years I live and work in UK. P work among polish and it is a reason I can not improve my english as I would. I vish all of you

Hello to all the English team trainers

As you know today was the first day of the new Eilenburg course.

The group consists of 10 women and 4 men, and as always with these job centre funded courses, there is a fairly good mix of levels.

In the first part of the day, AFI and the job-centre did all the necessary administration work. After breakfast, I started by introducing myself then allowed the group to ask me questions. After that all participants introduced themselves and I provoked the group to ask follow on questions. We then looked at the English and NATO alphabet to aid spelling, to practice it, we played a round of hangman.

I then introduced the group to the verb ‘to be’ using a worksheet with highlight the positive, negative and question forms. They then created a questionnaire, in pairs, using only questions with to be.

Next I gave the group a crossword based on occupational titles, the clues were in German but the answers were English.

To finish the day we had an open question round, which meant the group could ask anyone any question.

I have to say the group are quite eager to learn, and they all did very well even in the heat that we had today.

Sam will be going in tomorrow, I have left a copy of all hand-outs on the desk. If all trainers do this and communicate on here we will all look like we are working as a team.

So have fun with them

Scott

Hello Scott,

Thank you very much for your detailed report.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Beach volley ball jumping up[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi guys

Today Sam was in Eilenburg and this is what he did with the group:

Hello,
I’ve just finished a very muggy day in a very muggy classroom.
We started the day with a selection of photos of my family and myself and some posters of New Zealand. On the board we brainstormed possible questions that they could ask me using ‘be’ in the present simple.
After that we went through the worksheet ‘Can you tell me your e-mail address’ in order to practice using ‘be’ again.
After breakfast I introduced the simple present using Murphy and we got through the exercises on page 23 to do with positive sentences. The heat was a little to much for some of the students so we played a couple of simple simple present games.
When we got back from the next break we continued with page 25 dealing with the negative form but only got halfway through. We stopped for a few games of hangman.
In the afternoon period we played a game where the students had to guess the person from the contents of a bag and describe the person in the simple present. Then each student had to write 3 positive and 3 negative sentences on a piece of paper which were afterwards mixed together then read out so that the class had to guess the author. Following that we worked through the ‘My day in pictures’ using that later as a base for the students to describe their own daily routine.
My main problems today were keeping the students going through the exercises and keeping especially Ruth but also Jenny interested. Tomorrow I will take additional material to extend these two.
I hope you had a great day and I will talk to you tomorrow.

Regards,

Sam

So today Sam had his second day and he seems to be already making good progress with the group.

Below is his report of today:

Hello,
Today we managed to get through all of the present simple material. During the first period the students introduced me to Jeanette who was not there yesterday using the simple present. After that the students wrote 6 sentences the half being false and the other students had to guess which. Students had also brought photos of their families so that they practised asking and answering in the present simple. We had a small vocab test with words we had jointly chosen yesterday. After the break we looked at Murphy pages 26- 27 concerning simple present questions. During the next period we played a simple present board game and played a jumbled sentence game with sentences I had cut up. After lunch we did the question worksheet ‘habits’ and followed that with a more free flowing question and answer session.
I was pleased with the students progress today as they made a definite effort. Although not perfect, I think they are ready for the present continuous. Unfortunately we were not able to start on the textbook. Of the students Sofia needs the most attention and encouragement to speak up more.
Have a nice evening.

Regards,

Sam

Markus I hope it helps, I suggest that you maybe continue with the present simple in all forms, then maybe you could move onto the present continuous. If you have any questions you can always drop me a line.

Have fun

Scott

Hey Scott, hey Sam,
this is my report on what we did in Eilenburg for the last two days.
On thursday we started with a short introduction circle where everybody had to introduce another student to me and to the class.

After that we had a short revision of what the group did, so far. In other words, we repeated the simple present by building positive and negative sentences as well as questions.

As the following, I explained the grammar of the present continuous. We also did a little present continuous brainstorming: “what is happening in the class room, outside, at home or somewhere else at the moment?”. In addition to that we also created positive and negative sentences as well as questions by using the present continuous.

After that we did a short quiz in class which is called “Riddles of the alphabet”. We also talked about and practiced the differences between ‘some and any’ as well as the differences between ‘since and for’.

At the end of the day we went through the worksheet ‘occupations’ from the ESL employment handout selection.

To sum up Thursday, I have to say that I realized that in this particular course we do have students with very different levels of English. This fact makes it quite hard to always keep the group together. So I was thinking of giving some of the students additional materials to work on in class. But all in all this is a very highly motivated course which goes through the tasks very fast.

On Friday, we really had tropical temperatures in our classroom which made working quite hard.

Anyway, we started our day with the question: “what did you do yesterday after class?”, which everybody had to answer on his/ her own.

Even that i told the group to do this task in simple present some of them were able yet to manage it by using the simple past. So I decided to introduce the simple past to all of them, afterwards. Therefore I handed out the simple past grammar explanation worksheet by ESL.

We then did some clozes on the whiteboard. We also did clozes including a mixture of all tenses we have learned, so far. After that, we continued with the employment worksheet by ESL (I left copies on the teachers desk). I gave some additional, higher level material, to Ruth because she seemed quite bored. I presented her a text on the Coke vs. Pepsi wars, also by ESL ( I also left copies ). Afterwards the group played a little game where every student had to explain two words to the group and the others had to guess which word the explaining pupil was looking for ( like Tabu ).We then continued with the difference between who/ which/ whose. We did some examples on this, as well.

Even the weather wasn`t the best for learning English the group again was very quick by rushing through the tasks. I also really got the feeling that they are all making progress and they have fun.

Best regards

Markus

Cheers for the update Markus

Scott

Hi Scott, Sam and Markus,

Thank you very much for all your efforts and your support. You are a great team and I’m sure the Eilenburg folks are very happy with the way you are running this course.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Playing beach volleyball[YSaerTTEW443543]

Here’s a quick update from Sam:

Hi,
How are you both? We moved to an IT room on the other side of the building today which had a number of benefits. Firstly, it meant we could open the windows without being distracted by passing traffic. Secondly, the room was cooler than the previous room. And number three we could use the computers for our work.
We started the day by doing a quick revision of the simple past covered on Friday. Then we played a game in which the students told their partners 6 things about their weekend, which the partner subsequently told to a new partner. This was repeated again and then the student went to the person from whom the sentences originated to see how much of the relayed information was correct. This is a similar concept as Chinese Whispers. During the first period we also did a quick recap of the English alphabet.
After breakfast we started on the text with the gap fill on page 7. This was followed by a competition in which pairs had to find the mistakes in 10 sentences.
When we came back from the next break we did countries and nationalities from page 12 before doing page 9 to cover introductions and a role play exercise with name cards I had made at home.
In the afternoon session we did exercise A on page 10 describing Nokia. After that the students worked in pairs using the internet to research another company of their choice. From this information they created similar descriptions to that from the exercise.
All in all the lower temperatures meant a far more pleasant and effective learning environment. Ruth and Jenny had job interviews today so were not in class, which meant the class was more even, although Frau Schroder’s (sp) daughter joined us to refresh her English and her English, although rusty, is very good.
I wish you both a lovely evening and will send another update tomorrow.

Regards,

Sam

Hello Sam and Scott,

Thank you so much for your excellent work and your detailed reports. You obviously have been getting along with this group greatly. Keep it up! Talk to you soon, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The freezer room[YSaerTTEW443543]

Torsten

Thanks for the vote of confidence, yes things are going along swimmingly!

Scott

Hi Scott,

I take it you are aware of the upcoming BMW plan tour? It’s on September 15 at 9 am.

Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The cafe[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten, Markus and other interested parties

Firstly, in answer to your last post, we are aware of the BMW factory tour. I would like to mention that on the first day when the jobcentre agent informed the group of the trip the response was not entirely positive. I’m going to check on Friday, as it’s important as the group has to pay a fixed group price and if only 50% turn up it could be quite expensive for the others. I would like to suggest maybe we do a city tour instead?

Now for Sam’s report for last 2 days:

Tuesday

Hi,
Thankfully we were in the IT room again today so we could make use of the internet and keep the windows open.
We started the day by doing a little revision of countries and nationalities with pictures of famous people. Next we went over important vocab from yesterday that we needed to give our company presentation. In pairs the students told us important information about the companies they had researched similar to that about Nokia in the text. This took to the end of the second period.
In the third period we did page 10 and 11 of business basics finishing with the roleplay. Also we went over how to say large numbers. Before lunch we played hangman using the words that had been written on the board up to that point.
In the last period we took a break and did a worksheet about idioms, followed by the worksheet ‘What’s my job?’.
Jenny got the job that she interviewed for yesterday, but she doesn’t start until the course is finished.

Wednesday
Today went well. We started by revising the numbers 100 and higher using a game about New Zealand. We then did a 60 second speaking exercise the participants had to speak about themselves for 60 seconds, then swap partners and repeat. After the break we did Business Basics page 12, numbers 1, 2 and 3. Next we did pages 14 and 15. The listening exercise took longer than I expected but their comprehension was good enough that they could answer the questions adequately. We did a lot of pre and post work on the target vocab with various games. Finally we used Essential Grammar to introduce ‘there is/are’ and finished off with a free speaking activity using ‘there is/are’ to describe our hometown/ country. Unit 2 starts by covering ‘there is/are’ so they should be ready to tackle that tomorrow. Have a nice evening and enjoy tomorrow’s class Markus. Regards, Sam.

I hope it helps

Markus I’ll be going Friday, so please could you post your report tomorrow to allow me to put something together. Could you also ask if we have the option to use the computer room on Friday please?

Regards
Scott

Hi Scott, hi Sam,

so this is my short comment on what we did in class today. First of all, we had the opportunity to use the computer room again which got us another day of benefits already explained by Sam.

We were starting today’s lesson with yesterday’s evening activities again. Every student had to write a short report according to his/ her own spare time activities at the previous afternoon. After everyone finished writing the students had to swap their sheets with another learner. Now the students had to read out and correct the text of somebody else. Afterwards we were guessing who wrote the text originally. You probably can imagine that this meant fun to us. Although this exercise took a while, I really think that this was a good task for improving the participants English by listening, speaking and also writing.

We then revised the ‘there is/ there are’ topic by translating German sentences, given on the white board, into correct English sentences. We were also practicing this while doing the hotel dialog of unit 2 by Business Basics.

Thereafter I was introducing english-test.net to the group, so that we could move on with some internet based activities. I pointed out the TOEIC listening exercises as well as the question responses. I also mentioned the forum. Everybody then did some stuff on the internet on his/ her own.

After a certain while we stopped working on the internet and I explained how to compare and to construct different degrees of adjectives. We practiced this straight away by again translating German expressions into English sentences using ‘…as fast as…’, ‘…the quickest’, ‘…much better than…’, … .

We then continued with working on the employment worksheet #4 taken of the ESL handouts.
At the end of today, we were listening to Milow’s - “You don’t know” and translated the song.
Again, I am very astonished about the groups motivation and working speed. This folks are making progress very fast!

Scott: The computer room is yours tomorrow! So, I hope you’ll enjoy this room atmosphere as much as we did! Have fun and thanks again for taking the course tomorrow!

Regards

Markus

Hello Scott, Sam and Markus,

Thank you very much for your splendid work. Have a great weekend and a good start next week.

Cheerio,
Torsten