Wanted: English trainers in Eilenburg

Good evening one and all

Over the last few days we’ve been making great progress with the group.

Unfortunately one lady has dropped out due to personal reasons

Please find below what we (Sam and I) have done since Friday:

Friday
We began with a bit of small talk, discussing what we had all been up to since we last met. Next was a session of ‘hot seat’, which meant the participants took turns to sit on a chair at the front of the class. While they were there, the other students through random words at them and they were to try and translate, once they made a mistake they had to give up the chair for the next person.

We then revised the difference between the present forms (simple#continuous), I gave them a worksheet called ‘But what are they doing now’. It was an exercise which had diagrams of 15 people, it showed the people in their jobs and in an activity labelled now. They wrote sentences for each picture using the correct time form.

The final part of the day was taken up by a board game which was based on the simple past.

Monday

We started, as usual, with some small talk; discussing what we all did over the weekend. Followed by a round of ‘hot seat’, but this time the students were to call out verbs in their infinitive form and the person sitting on the chair had to say what the simple past form was…

I then spent a little time introducing the past continuous in all its uses.
Once they seemed to get the gist of it, I gave them a worksheet with exercises using the past continuous in the positive, negative and question forms.

To continue on with this we played a memory game, I wrote on the board what 3 people were doing at 3 different specific times in the past. Then I rubbed them off then asked questions such as:

What was Scott doing at 3pm?
What was Mary doing while Scott was running?

As always the participants find this a very strange time form but managed to use it quite well-

Tuesday

After our small talk we played a memory game called ‘I went to the supermarket and bought…’. The game is great for practising the alphabet as well as vocabulary based on everyday products.

After breakfast I introduced the present perfect simple, which we highlighted by translating some typical sentences. I then gave them a picture of a bedroom, they had to suggest to me what they thought the person ‘has done’.

Next was a worksheet to practise the the question ‘have you ever…’, after which the students wrote 5 of their own questions to ask each other.

To finish the day we played a mix of all their games.

Wednesday

We were given another 10 copies of Business Basics today, which should be enough for the class.
We started the day with a brief revision of the simple present perfect. The first exercise we did was to write 6 sentences- 3 true and 3 false for the students partners to guess.
This was followed by a mingling activity called ‘Have you seen the pyramids?’, in which the students had to ask various questions to as many other students as possible. After this we played a game called ‘Experiences’ where, while one student had to leave the room, the others chose a student for the absent student to guess by asking questions in the simple present perfect.
Following some modelling the students played irregular verb table tennis. Following on from that we went over the Essential Grammar unit 18 called How long have you…? doing the accompanying exercises.
Next we played a simple present perfect board game. Lastly we did a worksheet called ‘Townscapes’ using the simple present perfect to talk about changes.
This led into a group discussion about the changes to Leipzig’s cityscape over the last 25 years.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Regards,

Sam and Scott[/u]

Dear Sam, Scott and Markus,

I’m really amazed at the level of professionalism you have been working so far. Please do keep up the great work.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Refuse collection[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello to everybody,

here is my (short) report about what we were doing for the last two days:

thursday:

• started off with hot seat, this time the student on the hot chair had to compare adjectives up to the superlative

• we moved on then with a text about ‘Loch Ness’ regarding a revision of simple present perfect

• we then revised the simple past/ past continuous/ present continuous/ simple present and the simple present perfect by translating all in all mixed up sentences and clozes given on the board

• after that we started to read the first chapter of our business thriller (‘dying for love’) --> but didn’t get trough all of it!

• afterwards the group was working on business basics, page 31/32 (Finding your way), therefor I handed out a list of useful vocabulary according to ‘giving directions and describing a way’

• participants ended the day by reading and translating as well as listening a song

friday:

• we started the day with continuing our business thriller which we didn’t manage to finish on thursday

• subsequently every student had to write a short comment regarding her/ his favourite holiday by using a form of past every student could decide on her/ his own

• I then introduced the simple past perfect to the group, we were also practicing it by creating positive and negative sentences as well as questions

• As the group was finding it very challenging on thursday, we again did some clozes and translations of sentences in every tense.

Again this were fantastic two days! This group is very susceptive to English, they are still highly motivated which makes working fun. Beware of the change in rooms next week! We are moving to the room opposite to the room we are used to. All in all I wish you a good start into the next week.

Regards

Markus

Hello Markus,

Thank you very much for your great work. Have a sunny and relaxed weekend.
Torsten

Hi Markus, Torsten and any other viewers of this thread

Here’s an update of this week:
So Monday we had a successful start to the week. As always we started off with some chit-chat about the weekend. I asked lots of questions using all of the past forms the group has learnt so far. We then revised the past perfect simple by doing a gap-fill exercise, this went very well.

I them went on and introduced the 4 most important future forms ( will/be going to/present continuous/present simple) and their different uses. Today I concentrated more on the present continuous for the future; we started with a worksheet which looked at positive, negative and questions. To check the participants understanding I gave them 5 future time points eg Halloween, Xmas day, next birthday) their task was to create 5 questions using different verbs for each question. With these questions they went around the room asking different people, then reported back to the group.

The penultimate task of the day was to go through the vocab sheets that created for our city tour on Thursday. We checked pronunciation, and with the verbs, we looked at their past forms.

To finish we had a session of hangman using only words from the city tour list.

Wednesday

We started Wednesday morning with a game of ‘I packed my suitcase and I put in…’ this is a great way to practice articles as well as super brain-training.

After breakfast we used a work sheet which tested the group with mixed past forms. We then turned to business basics and did the chapter ‘making arrangements’ which focused on present continuous in the future, saying and writing dates and also discussing important dates. I also showed the group the layout and contents of a formal business letter. To end the day the group revised their vocab for our city tour.

Today the group came to me in Leipzig and took part in an English city tour, followed by afternoon tea at Leipzig Englisch Sprachschule. I would like te group to explain more…

Have fun tomorrow Markus, and just to let you know a couple of participants requested you continue with the thriller

Laters

Scott
I hope you all have a great week

Catch ya later

Best wishes Scott

Hi everybody,

on Friday we started off with a crossword regarding business English vocab. After that we listened to the BBC World News and in addition discussed them. We then continued with the ‘explain-a-word’ game. After that we went on with our business thriller, chapter 3. We worked with Business Basics, page 34 and also listened to a song.

Markus

Hi Scott, Sam and Markus,

Just so you know David Rinderknecht is working with the group next Tuesday (October 4).

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university students (1)[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Scott, Sam and Markus,

Thank you very much for your great work. Please find AFI’s assessment below:

Hallo Herr Därr,

die Dozenten sind sehr gut angekommen. Es gab kein negatives Feedback. Sehr gut fand ich die praktischen Übungen (Skypen mit den Eltern eines Dozenten in Neuseeland, Telefonanrufe in England und Irland, englische Stadtführung).

Das kam auch bei den Schülern bestens an. Problematisch war teilweise der pünktliche Unterrichtsbeginn und das Ende. Wir sind sonst sehr zufrieden Herr Därr und danken für die professionelle Realisierung dieser Maßnahme.

Wenn alles glatt geht haben wir nächstes Jahr ab 06.02.12 wieder eine solche Maßnahme.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ulrike Folta

TOEIC short conversations: A customer wants to cancel her newspaper subscription