Vocabulary (difference in meaning)

Hi all,

1/Please tell me what is the difference in meaning between:

a/ Painting and picture.
(in: A collection of paintings by American artists.
A collection of pictures by American artists.)

b/ Useful and thankful.
(in: “Sorry, I can’t be more helpful/ useful” and "a useful/ helpful book.
Sorry, I can’t be more helpful/ useful)
c/ Invoice and bill.
(in: give me an invoice/bill).
d/ Booking and reservation. (in hotel).
e/ Check into and register (at the airport, at the hotel)
f/Hooby and pastime.
g/Greenhouse and hothouse.
h/ The correct time and the exact time.
i/ Shop, store, supermarket, shopping mall and department store.
(for this, you only make : shop<store<…)
j/ System of distribution and distribution system.
k/Friendship world and world of friendship.
l/ Regularly and regulary.
m/ Teaching staff and a teaching staff.

2/ “Drive” is used with a bike, a car, a lorry, a pedicab.…(any vehicles) or only with a car?

3/ When writing in words and reading the fraction “3/2”, how do you day? “three-second” is right?

4/Please choose “in” or “at”. What is the difference between them in these sentences or the same meaning?

a/ He is proficient in/at these applications.
b/ He is proficient in/at several languages.
c/ he is proficient in/at his job.

5/ Please fix the mistake(s).

a/ It has a 800-strong workforce.
b/ It has over 800-strong workforce.

6/ What is the difference between “fix the mistake” and “fix the mistakes”?

7/ What is the difference between “it” and “that”? (Ex: I believe it , I believed that).

8/ What is the difference between “likely”, “probable” and “maybe”? Same meaning or not?

(in: Tickets is likely to be expensive.
Tickets is probable to be expensive.
Tickets is maybe to be expensive.)

9/What is the difference between “check in (at…)” and “check into”. Same meaning or not?

(in : Please check in (at counter A) at leat an hour before departure).
Please write again this sentence with “check into”).

Many thanks
Van Khanh

Van Khanh, if you find that people are not answering some of your queries, or that they answer only parts of them now, it’s because you’ve begun to post enormously long ones that would require considerable time to answer completely.

Also, please see if dictionaries answer your questions before you post them. I’ve noticed that some of them – such as the difference between “painting” and “picture” – are very clearly explained in a normal dictionary.

Dear Sir,Madamn,

Sure, I saw in all dictionaries before uploading. I don’t think my questions is long. For example,for “painting” and “picture”, in dictionaries, that is the same.

So, I understand what you mean. I gave now the couples of sentences including these words. If same meaning, please write simply “same”. (for example: 1. same).
If not the same meaning, only write not same and explain me only the difference of the 2 words compared in these 2 sentences.

I think, please, it’s not long. I can wait for your replies and I guarantie that it’s the last long questionnaire I give you. The proof that I only ask "the difference between “dear roland,” and “dear Roland!”. It’s all I’d like to ask.

Many many thanks.
Best regards.

Van Khanh

To begin this thread you posted no less than 29 different questions, most of which would require some explanation. That is long, especially when English-language dictionaries already clarify many of the words you’re asking about.

Just one example of what I’m talking about:

Those were in the Longman online dictionary. There are others that clarify them better than that. You should check.

Hi all,

1/Please tell me what is the difference in meaning between:

a/ Painting and picture.
(in: A collection of paintings by American artists.
A collection of pictures by American artists.)

b/ Useful and thankful.
(in: “Sorry, I can’t be more helpful/ useful” and "a useful/ helpful book.
Sorry, I can’t be more helpful/ useful)
c/ Invoice and bill.
(in: give me an invoice/bill).
d/ Booking and reservation. (in hotel).
e/ Check into and register (at the airport, at the hotel)
f/Hooby and pastime.
g/Greenhouse and hothouse.
h/ The correct time and the exact time.
i/ Shop, store, supermarket, shopping mall and department store.
(for this, you only make : shop<store<…)
j/ System of distribution and distribution system.
k/Friendship world and world of friendship.
l/ Regularly and regulary.
m/ Teaching staff and a teaching staff.

2/ “Drive” is used with a bike, a car, a lorry, a pedicab.…(any vehicles) or only with a car?

3/ When writing in words and reading the fraction “3/2”, how do you day? “three-second” is right?

4/Please choose “in” or “at”. What is the difference between them in these sentences or the same meaning?

a/ He is proficient in/at these applications.
b/ He is proficient in/at several languages.
c/ he is proficient in/at his job.

5/ Please fix the mistake(s).

a/ It has a 800-strong workforce.
b/ It has over 800-strong workforce.

6/ What is the difference between “fix the mistake” and “fix the mistakes”?

7/ What is the difference between “it” and “that”? (Ex: I believe it , I believed that).

8/ What is the difference between “likely”, “probable” and “maybe”? Same meaning or not?

(in: Tickets is likely to be expensive.
Tickets is probable to be expensive.
Tickets is maybe to be expensive.)

9/What is the difference between “check in (at…)” and “check into”. Same meaning or not?

(in : Please check in (at counter A) at leat an hour before departure).
Please write again this sentence with “check into”).

Many thanks
Van Khanh

Hi,

Many thanks for your response, but I don’t ask about that. What I’d like to understand, that is I give 2 sentences, like:
A collection of paintings by American artists.
A collection of pictures by American artists.

So, you read them. If they’re the same meaning, you only answer me: 1. The same. (it’s short).

If not the same, you only write: Not and explain me only the difference.

Sincerely.
Van Khanh

Dictionaries will explain to you very clearly that a painting is a picture that is painted. Not all pictures are painted. Having graduated from art school, I can tell you that not all paintings are pictures.

Dear Jamie,

That’s what I need. In order to shorten the time, anybody can answer, as:

Not the same. Reason: a painting is a picture that is painted. Not all pictures are painted.

So, not all paintings are pictures.

Dear Jamie,

Now, look at the way I answered to my friends about “overhall”, “rather/quite”… That’s very short. The most important is to answer what someone needs ( not superfluous and lack nothing) . If someone can do it, it’s not long.

Once more, I am very grateful to you for your responses, which are very interesting.

Van Khanh

Twenty-nine of your short answers add up to huge time, and sometimes they don’t clarify the words. Remember, most of us have jobs.

Yes-- please post your questions one at a time, Van Khanh. I say this for your own benefit.

As Jamie explained, few are willing to spend so much time on a single post. I avoided your original post on this thread for that precise reason. This is no one’s job: we do it in our free time for pleasure and out of a wish to help.

Dear Mister Micawber,

Firstly, I’m sorry for doing that. I sent one time many questions because I won’t have many time next week. (this week, I’m at home for the preparation of my business taking place about 3 weeks).

So, please share carefully to me your opinions with each of my questions. I am very much grateful to you.

Ok, next time, I’ll send one question a time.

Thanks.

Van Khanh

OK, Van-- fair enough.

b/ Useful and helpful. – the same except helpful suggests that a particular problem may be involved or that another source of possible solution also exists.

c/ Invoice and bill. – invoice is the formal term and requires formal documentation.

d/ Booking and reservation. (in hotel). – reservation is the more formal term.

e/ Check into and register (at the airport, at the hotel) – register is the more formal term.

f/Hobby and pastime. – hobbies usually require a measure of skill or knowledge (stamp collecting, gliding); a pastime is often for casual pleasure only (watching TV, assembling jigsaw puzzles)

g/Greenhouse and hothouse. – ‘hothouse: a greenhouse in which plants are arranged in a pleasing manner’ (from ONE LOOK DICTIONARY SEARCH).

Thanks

1/
k/Friendship world → sounds like some sort of name for an amusement park or organization
world of friendship → could be figuratively used to refer to "all the aspects" (world) of friendship

l/ “regulary” seems to be a misspelling of “regularly”.

You drive a car, lorry/truck, taxi, bus if you are sitting at the steering wheel (i.e. you are the driver).
You ride in a car or lorry/truck, taxi, bus if you are a passenger.

You ride a bike, a motorcycle, a horse.

You “fly a plane” if you are the pilot.

I would normally write “1 1/2” and say “one and a half”. You could possibly say “three halves”, but that is more unusual.

Amy

Dear teacher,

Many many thanks for your response. So, “three - second” or “threee-seconds” aren’t correct?

VKhanh

“Three seconds” is a measure of time. If you need to describe 3/2 the way it is written, you would have to say “three halves”. You would only say that in a math class, however.

Hi Amy,

Thanks a lot.

I always look forward to your other replies.
:smiley:

khanh

Hi Amy,

Before continuing to answer, I’d like to ask you about:

Shop, store, supermarket, shopping mall and department store.

In your opinions,

Shop< store < supermarket<shopping hall< department store

or:
Department store < shop< store < supermarket<shopping hall

Thanks.
Khanh

Hi Amy,

Before continuing to share your opinions, I’d like to have your idea about:

Shop, store, supermarket, shopping mall and department store.

In your opinions,

Shop< store < supermarket<shopping hall< department store

or:
Department store < shop< store < supermarket<shopping hall

Thanks.
Khanh
[/quote]

Hi Khahn

That question can’t really be answered because,for example, some stores might be larger than some supermarkets, and some supermarkets might be larger than some stores.

But, basically I’d say that a shop would probably be the smallest and a shopping mall would be by far the biggest.

(Note: In the USA, there are usually several department stores AND many other shops/stores in one shopping mall.)

Amy