Vocabulary (difference in meaning)

Hi Amy,

Please tell me also the difference between: (in part I)

a/ The exact time is 5pm.
The correct time is 5pm.
b/ Teachingh staff
a teaching staff.

Many thanks.
Khanh

Van Khanh, you can discern the difference between these yourself by looking up the words “exact” and “correct” in a dictionary. There’s nothing magic or mysterious about it.

This is the same as any expression used with or without the indefinite article.

Hi Khanh

“a teaching staff”, “the teaching staff”, “our teaching staff”, “all teaching staff”, “the new teaching staff”:
I would expect an article to be used much of the time.
However it is also possible to say “teaching staff” (i.e., without an article), but only when “staff” is used grammatically as a plural:
Teaching staff are expected to act responsibly towards students.
“Staff are expected to (…)”

Amy

Hi Amy,

I have found the ans answer: Exact = corect in every detail.

I’m always loo forward to your other anskwers. If you have free time, please help me. Thanks.

I’d like also to express my gratitude to Mr. Micawber that also helped me with other qustions.

Khanh

Hi Khan,
I would like to greet your passion to learn English as foreign language, but you’ve got to work most of it your-self. Just be relaxed and learn step-by-step with simple thinking not deep that will take you astray. I hope you understand me correct (not exact 8) ). I wish you bright future in learning English.

Regards
Baraa

Hi Khahn

I know you posted a separate question about these three words, but here is some input about the sentences that were posted here and how they could be corrected. Possible ways to use the words would be:

The tickets are likely to be expensive.
The tickets will likely be expensive.
The tickets will probably be expensive.
It is quite probable that the tickets will be expensive.
The tickets may be expensive. (2 words!)
Maybe there are still some tickets available. (maybe = perhaps)

Amy