Verb 'Be' (Unit 2)

Unit 2 - BE-Verb

Now that you know the personal pronouns you can make your first sentences in English. All you need is the BE-Verb in the correct form:
I [color=blue]am

you [color=blue]are

she [color=blue]is
he [color=blue]is
it [color=blue]is

we [color=blue]are
you [color=blue]are
they [color=blue]are

English is a compact language. Many words have short forms. Below you’ll see the short forms of the be-verb.
I’[color=blue]m

you’[color=blue]re

she’[color=blue]s
he’[color=blue]s
it’[color=blue]s

we’[color=blue]re
you’[color=blue]re
they’[color=blue]re

Are you ready for more? Here comes the negative:

I am [color=red]not

you are [color=red]not

she is [color=red]not
he is [color=red]not
it is [color=red]not

we are [color=red]not
you are [color=red]not
they are [color=red]not

That was easy, wasn’t it? Now, the short forms of the be-verb negative:

I’[color=red]m not

you’[color=red]re not

she’[color=red]s not
he’[color=red]s not
it’[color=red]s not

we’[color=red]re not
you’[color=red]re not
they’[color=red]re not

We’ll we aren’t through yet. There are two short forms of the be-verb negative. Here’s the second one:

I’m not (same as the first one)

you [color=red]aren’t

she [color=red]isn’t
he [color=red]isn’t
it [color=red]isn’t

we [color=red]aren’t
you [color=red]aren’t
they [color=red]aren’t
A lot of grammar, isn’t it? No worries, in Unit 3 you will already be able to create your personal profile…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: New construction[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi sir ,
I want to learn who can I use the correct form’s of the tens … such as the verb - Be
What I want to now when can use this form’s … the right time … the right ocajon …

that’s all

all the best for you
Rayaa

1 Like

Thanks alot

Thanks a lot I`m getting better :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello Torsten Daerr!
How are you today? Thanks for you about the second email.
I will try to pratise English grammar everyday.
Now i work for the securities company. I graduated in Ha Noi Law University since 2007. As you know, Ha Noi is the capital of Viet Nam. Then i applied for the legal consultant position. My English isn’t good enough to work. So i joined this website to learn it better.I hope that i will be a friend of all members here.

Thanks to you I can imrove my language skiils every day.
It will be better If you would add a little mp3. Becouse langauge is not only rule.
First off all it is a sound.

Hello Everybody I want to ask about this phrase Torsten wrote into this topic.

------We’ll we aren’t through yet------

I understand it means – We aren´t done here, or We haven´t finished yet, but I paid special attention to the word “through”.

I could write I made many things through my young life, or i was walking through de park.

Hope you get the idea about my question and please post an answer.
Thanks, and someone ask for a mp3, I thing that would be great.

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the second lesson.

Hi Torsten,
Thank you so much for sending me the emails on English learning.As I wrote to you before saying how much I love the English language.I’m giving tuition classes on English to both school students as well as to working adults.Every day I’m learning something new because I want to know and get well equipped with the English language so to be able to teach others well.I love learning the English Grammar much.I have bought some good grammar books with the income I’m earning as a private tuition tutor.I’m teaching full time.I’m a self-employed person.I teach English language for a living and I love it every minute of my life.I also see this enthusiasm in my students because I show them my passion for this language by speaking and writing good English.Thank you once again for your help.I’ll continue learning from you.
JPS

hi
how are you ? i want to spaek English but i have very problem. Can you help me?

Hi! How are you? Well, do you have a webcam and a MIC?If you do, then we could speak on Skype.You will definitely learn to speak well.Speaking is a skill that needs to be learned.Why not try it?

Hello Sir, how are you?Thankyou, for the second unit…I am from Pune,India.
In the first test I got 9 out of 10…

hi Iam iraqi

hi Torsten Daerr,

Many thanks for your help… :D. I am from India and working as software engineer.
I want to know more about business communication can you help me about. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Priya

Dear Torsten,
I’m Hoa. Thanks for your tests. I have done the first test. I’m sorry to join the forum late because of my busy work.

Let me introduce myself, my full name: Quynh Hoa. I have worked for Save the Children USA, Quang Tri field office. I have worked as Finance and operation for more than 4 years. I graduated in Banking Institute in Ho Chi Minh city. Have you been to Viet Nam?

I’m not good in English, so I joined this website two years ago (is it right, I don’t remember :-). But I’m so lazy to take tests due to dates and field site trips. I can not overcome myself. With your new model, with English language coach, hope my English skills be better.

I can’t type fast and speak fluently, because I know few vocabulary. so I’m not confident in writing and speaking, especially in speaking.this cause i missed many career opportunities. i practise to think in English before talking and writing but always in Vietnamese first, i don’t know how to do this best. can you guide me?

Regards and thanks for your help,
Hoa

I’am very happy to receive your message again , and i’am replying you with joy in my heart. I have read the lesson about be-verb and i think i’ll remember how to form with the verb to be ! and with the short form.tahnks a lot i’ll always happy to read you again!

Dear Gomez,

Thanks a lot for your positive response to our email English course. Please not that you can use either the short form of the ‘be’ verb or the long one. You can’t use both together:

I’m very happy. Or:
I am very happy.

I’m replying. Or:
I am replying.

Please don’t write [color=red]I’am since this form doesn’t exist.

Hope this helps.
Talk to you soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A busy street scene[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten

I am very much excited in joining your group and to learn english with you. I am happy with the first lesson, i will therefore continue with the next lesson. Please keep assisting.

Regards,

Sonti

Dear Sonti,

Thanks a lot for your positive feedback. I also look forward to your next forum posts.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Freezing conditions[YSaerTTEW443543]

thank you torsten