The language of surprise

Hi,

Sometimes you are so shocked about what has just happened that you are speechless. Alternatively you make funny noises to show you are surprised. Then again you can use certain expressions that show your surprise:

Alan

1 Like

thanks alot mr alan 4 the language of surprise

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for your lessons!Theyā€™re really helpful ! But I have a question: Can we use " Talk of the devil" when weā€™re talking about some one who suddenly shows up and we are glad to see them? or do we just use it when she or he isnā€™t welcome?
Thanks again

1 Like

It is acceptable to use it when you are glad to see them too, but you need to make it clear (in your manner, expression, etc.) that they are welcome. Most native speakers would accept it as a bit of a joke.

1 Like

Thanks, Alan
Iā€™ve read the story and found a few expressions of surprise to my liking!

ā€¦if you are not glad to see them, you can say: ā€œa bad penny always turns upā€ or ā€œlook what the cat has dragged inā€. I used to whisper that to myself every time some of my teachers showed up in the classroom in school.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for your lessonsā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

hi Alan

IT IS AN interseting STORY . I HAVE READ IT CAREFULLY

THANKING U

Hi Alan
Thanks for your grammar stories. But can the exclamatory phrases be used as INTERJECTION ?

BRgds
Suchandra Chakraborty

Hi,

Iā€™m not exactly sure what you mean. Could you rephrase the question?

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan,

ā€œThe language of surpriseā€ is really helpful. Thanks a lot.

what is difference between ā€œnearā€ and ā€œnear byā€. where we should use by

Hi,

ā€˜Nearā€™ is usually used as a preposition suggesting ā€˜not far fromā€™ as in: We live near the town centre and so we donā€™t have to walk far to the shops. ā€˜Nearbyā€™ is usually used as an adverb suggesting ā€˜in the vicinityā€™ as in: There is a garage nearby when you want to get petrol.

Alan

1 Like

Dear Alan Townend,

I am very sorry that I never reply and I really want to check it every day but I cannot do that because I am very busy at the moment. On the other hand, I do not have computer so whenever I want to use it I have to go to the Internet Cafe or I have to go to school but in my school very slow.

However, I will try to look it up whenever I have time. I really appreciate you for sending the great email to me every week.

Many thanks!!

Yours faithfully,

Somath

1 Like

Dear Alan Townend,

I am so so so sorry but really i havenā€™t any time to study well or open my e-mail cause my children belive my when i found time and try to study your lessons i found it so eassy and

useful byaway my childrens sleeping now look iwant you to know me well ineed to learn english for maney reasons but the first i want to help my son in his studies, look i can

understand the dialoug but idont know speak english or phrase make and he in languag school (kg2) iknow he is so young but ihop to be heā€™s languag verry v v v good in english &

french i want to

speak in english with him all time to be good in this languag i know its not your problem but please dont give up of me i promisse u i will be more effective & i am trying to organize

my time.

notic : i am not good in english so u will find wrong spelling sorry &i have daugter sheā€™s did not enter the jounior school is two and half years old are in baby classā€™ thank you for your effort .

1 Like

so indirectly the story was i could not understand the message

Iā€™am so greatful this is helping me like if i have three perfect teacher near to me .Every day I take one Lesson or more in English and this is Fantastic.Firstly my own English was bed and I tried to learn then it was good and for a while was better,but Iam still working my BETTER to be ā€˜BESTā€™.Again I want to say thans many thanks to you.Only I have a little problem ;How can i download all these lesons on my PC.Best wishes.Abetare.Write on my e-mail talja_5@hotmail.com

1 Like

Hi Alan Sir

Thank you for your Essay ā€œthe language of surpriseā€. It was good.
In your expression ā€œTalk of the Devilā€. We will never use the expression
whether the person whose presence is welcome or not , if the person
happens to come to our house when we talk about the same we will say
like this whether we like the person or not, just now weā€™re talking about
you, you will live upto 100 years. We will never hurt the person whose
presence is needed or not.

I have learned more expressions from your essay.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Dear Alan,
I could not send you a private message, so I send my message here. Actually it is not about your amazing post. I`m reading a book and I have some problems understanding some sentences. would you please help me to get the meaning of following sentences?
1.ā€œIn sum, the historian, to become a historian, remains partly behind him- self, standing on the shore in his ā€˜native land,ā€™ precisely in order to witness the departing that sets him oļ¬€ in the ļ¬rst placeā€”at the same time as he goes partly ahead of himself, sailing away to his ā€˜native landā€™ from destruction, the loss she himself (if I can put it this way) will witness.ā€ I dont get the meaning of " goes ahead of himself" and " remains behind himself"
2.ā€œSome recent commentators, chieļ¬‚y Alex Potts, have explored Winckelmannā€™s own republicanism and anticlericalism and the later critical and political reception of his ā€˜historicistā€™ determination of the form of Greek art in the civic freedom of the Greek polisā€. the second part of this sentence is of most difficulty for me
yours Cordially,
Taher

1 Like

Dear Alan,

Many thanks that you had learnt expressions of surprise. I already used in my last letter ā€œspeechlessā€ word.

1. You spoke to us what we could say when unexpectedly somebody would surprise us.
    To explain our involuntary twitch.
  • My word, you frightened the living daylights out of me.
    -Goodness me you almost made me quite a turn.
    -Once youā€™ll frighten someone to death.
    Brief ones:
    -Good heavens!
    -Good gracious!
    -Good grief!
    -Golly!
    -No!
    -Never!
  1. When it happens with somebody something very odd.
    -Well, I never. You donā€™t mean to say this.
    -Well, Iā€™ll go to the foot of our steps.
    -You must be joking.
    -You will have your little joke, wonā€™t you?
    -You are pulling my leg, arenā€™t you?
    -Youā€™re having me on.
    -No, seriously tough.

2. When someone doing something entirely out of character or in unusual situations.
    -I must be dreaming.
    -Pinch me somebody.
    -Wonders will never cease.
    -Well Iā€™m darned.

• Well Iā€™m blowed.
  1. When something incredible happens to you, you become speechless.
    -You have knocked me down with a feather.
    -I went all week at the knees. (for.exp:After a successful driving test)
    -I donā€™t know whether to laugh or cry.
    -My stomach turned right over.

2. When a chance visitor/a dropper-in appears.
    -Guess whoā€™s coming up the garden path right now?
    -Talk of the devil.( we say:Donā€™t paint the devil onto the wall because it appears.)
    -Look what the windā€™s just blown in.

Best regards: Kati Svaby

1 Like

Dear Alan Towned,
Me also Iā€™m realy sorry that I never reply and this for many reasons, children, home, jobā€¦, but the most one is that I didnā€™t know exactly how to do for a reply . Donā€™t think that I donā€™t read your e-mails. they are very helpful for me
thank you a lot.
best regards