Teaching ideas swap shop workshop + LELTA Leipzig

Hi guys

You all may realise that there is a basic need for ESL/EFL teacher training in Saxony and Saxon Anhalt.

Therefore for this and other reasons I am starting a teachers organization called Eltassa that will be linked with Eltabb (Berlin) and IELTA (International).

If you are interested the workshop details are here;

Swap shop workshop
SAT 11th OCT 10 a.m. - 3p.m.
interTreu Wirtschaftsdienste
Finanzmanagement GmbH
Springerstr. 15
04105 Leipzig

Pls contact me via pm for registration, or if you want to be on the mailing list.

cheers stew.t.

Hi Stew,

Many thanks for sharing your ideas regarding the workshop, I’m definitely interested. Can you please tell me more about the workshop agenda? What exactly are we going to discuss and how does InterTreu fit into the picture?

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man in a wheelchair[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi Torsten

Here is the blurb for you and those interested;

“At the first meeting (eltassa workshop) there will be 3 to 4 workshops and we have set some time aside for an ideas exchange amongst us teachers/language providers. This will give us an opportunity to share our experiences and ideas on topics such as on Financial English, webquest or using the Internet, recording vocabulary, and generating discussions etc.”

InterTreu provide the facilities, and it is nice to be independent from the school.
Later we will use other language related facilities like publishing houses.

Hi Stew,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I’ve also read the Flyer you sent me and this project really looks very promising. As I understand it, you are the organizer of the meeting on October 11 and you are going to invite other language trainers, English teachers, language schools, etc. to bounce ideas on teaching English for special purposes, using new technologies and media such as podcasts, etc. in the classroom? Do you already have a list of all potential participants? I’m asking because we might draft an agenda outlining a structure for the meeting.

Please let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A horse guard parade in London[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

The workshops are lead by an individual and on the themes given.

Your idea for an agenda has maybe been confused by the quote (not mine) given. It is not a meeting as such in a conventional sense.
The agenda point we might have time for after the workshops.
This type of meeting we will do as a Stammtisch once we see enough interest.
At the moment we are testing the water.

There are right now 4 real people who are the driving force behind it, and a partnership with eltabb in Berlin.

Hi Stew,

I’d just like to thank you very much for this excellent workshop today! You and all the other trainer activists did a splendid job and I received so much food for thought. As a matter of fact, it will take a while for me to go through all the notes I took and organize the information you got. I definitely am going to support you and the LELTA organization because it’s obvious that all parties involved will benefit from it.

Also, many thanks to the folks at InterTreu for providing those great facilities. I’m going to speak to all my teacher colleagues and friends about LELTA to help promote the idea.

Is there anything else I can do right now?
Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Shopping in the market[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi Tortsen

thks for your encouragement and positive feedback. The facilities were good and the workshops fruitful. I think all participants got something from it, I hope.
The idea for the organisation is mutual benefit, and will be teacher/trainer driven.

The label of trainer activists is going in the right direction. We will only be a success if we pool our resources and get behind it.
The word of mouth promotion is all we can afford and do for now, so keep the trumpet blazing.

As for ideas, once David gets the website up, maybe we can some how tie in a thread.
A blog or feed of the reviews/current events maybe an option.

If we can cross over the website content in this way (lelta and english-test), that would be great?

Hi Stew,

Sure we can use both our websites – LELTA and english-test.net to create synergy and swap ideas and contents. Just let me know when your site is up and running so we can start promoting it.

Also, if there is anything else you want me to do right now please tell me.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you like cream in your coffee?[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi Torsten

The website is being put together. We now have an e-mail - leipzigelta@googlemail.com.

What we really could do with is some people to take on these tasks.

set up of a website and general admin
website content
reviewing the workshop - Erik and Teresa
Ben and Nicola
editing and compiling a newsletter
treasurer

Put yourself forward if you wish. Maybe a review of the workshops run by Erik and Teresa? Also if you wish to come with us to meet the eltabb board in Berlin just shout.

cheers stew.t.

Hi Stew,

Regarding the website content I have the following suggestions:

1.) purpose and goals of LELTA Leipzig
2.) benefits for members
3.) benefits and value for partners
4.) target groups of LELTA
5.) ESL situation in and around Leipzig (demand, growing market, market structure, future developments)
6.) workshop schedule with topics to be covered and speakers to be invited
7.) resources, materials and tools for LELTA members
8.) how to become a LELTA member?

It’s probably best if we develop the website one step at a time and I take it you, Erik and David are already working on it. If we share ideas on a regular basis we might even speed up the process.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Weather report and forecast on radio[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi Torsten

The website is on hold at the moment. I certainly have no time to get it up and running.
David as far as I know hasn´t started.

MAybe you could set one up, content is no problem to get on there.
Keti is working on creating some for the dual purpose of the newsletter and the website.

Your ideas are good, and in the direction I wanted for content anyway.
We have a logo, I will send it to your e-mail if you wish to get started on the internet presence.

cheers stew.t.

Hi Stew,

I think it’s important to communicate to our prospective members what benefits they will get from joining the association. As far as I can see, the vast majority of all English language trainers in the Leipzig area are free lancers are self-employed teachers. This means, they constantly have to look for new jobs, organize and prepare their lessons, negotiate rates and conditions with schools, find new materials, do their bills and accounts, etc.

To gain the attention, support and membership of the Leipzig based English language trainers we need to give them reasons to join us because that’s the question they will ask themselves: Why should I join this organization? What can I get from them?

So maybe we should first list all the things we are going to do for our members?

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Employee offers to help her co-worker with his report.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

What functions fdo you perceive lelta will have or should have?

We will offer the same as eltabb, and they have good membership in general.
The only thing we could do better is offering a website plus forum, community. I think this is how we could intergrate english-test maybe.
Do you need a draft of benefits for the lelta website?

Hi Stew,

Yes it would be great to see a list of all the benefits prospective LELTA members might gain. I must admit I need to take a closer look at the ELTABB website again to fully comprehend what exactly they are doing. From what I have seen so far it’s obvious that they are very well organized and I agree with you – we should follow their example. I remember you telling me how many native speakers are working as ESL teachers in the Leipzig/Dresden/Chemnitz area. You said something like 300, is that right?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: A business executive gives a financial report at a meeting[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

The eltabb are an experienced and established bunch, why do you think I wanna pick their brains ; )
We plan to go to the teacher to teacher day on the 24th (as invited by Dorothy when I was in Bonn, also met Heike from lancelotschool). Would be great if you could join us?. Then we can get their input.

The benefits etc I have worked on as well as other content, and can get it to whoever decides to admin the website; MR Daerr? ; )

The number of trainers is not the issue it is getting the people interested and enough volunteers to run it.
At least we have a newsletter editor and a treasurer.
If you wanna write someat for the Dec newsletter contact keti at the lelta address asap.

cheers stew.t.

Hi Stew,

I decided to use voice messaging to respond to your post. Regards, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Inviting participants for a customer research panel[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi guys

The guy who runs the elt bulletin board has set up a forum just for LELTA @ www.elt.yuku.com

This will help our internet presence for now till we decide if we have a forum on our own website, and likewise set it up.

hi

the benefits that I can think of are in a google doc you can get access to.
If you need an e-mail say so pls and one will be forthcoming.
As I need an emergency op, I would luv if you guys ( you and David) could take responsibility and run with this.
Time will be a factor for me now if I am 4 - 6 weeks out of commission.

let me know asap

cheers stew.t.

Hi Stew,

Yes please give me access to the Google doc with the benefits for LELTA members. Also, it would be great if you could let me know your answers regarding the domain and website.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: How long has the young man been drinking alcohol?[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi

site admin;
The domain needs to b set up of course. Maybe we can talk to Leipzig life, see my e-mail.

We need to have people in place for admin and content. But a general co-ordinator, your team idea is good, and cross over access to newsletter content is an idea. Cotact Samantha McCoy.
In the e-mail I will give you access rights to leipzig life e-mail account. Makes things easier. Sure I can trust you.

I will resend the invite of the google doc just in case it didn´t get sent.

Spoke to David, you guys should hook up, I really have little time to get things in place before my operation.

cheers stew.t.