Speak spontaneously!

I continue to do my speaking exercises.

1. Balance two matchsticks on a wineglass and challenge your friends to make them fall into the glass, but without touching or blowing on any of the objects.To win the bet,wet your finger, and rub the rim of another wineglass,

the note will make the matches fall off.

youtube.com/watch?v=WWWprsyoDLg

1. Place a matchstick into the edge of a matchbox. Say that you are an amazing archer, and can flick another match across the table and knock the

the first match over. When you flick the match it will spin as it flies across, and so knock over the upright match.

New words and expressions:

[b]CONJURING/b or CONJURING TRICKS
entertainment in the form of magic tricks, especially ones which seem to make things appear or disappear ( causative)

3. Challenge your friends ( invite your friends to enter a competition, fight) to draw this symbol, but without taking your pen off of the paper. To win the bet, simply fold over the corner of the paper, draw part of the circle like this, the dot on the middle, than unfold the corner and then finish off the rest off the symbol.

See it here:
10 amazing bets you will always win (3) and (4)

Place five matchsticks like this to create a horse looking to the right, and challenge your friends to move just one matchstick and make the horse to look to the left. To win the bet, move this matchstick and then turn everything around.

The next conjuring tricks.(5) and (6)

5.Tell your friends that you can stop them standing up using just one finger. Then have them sit on a chair (causative) with their feet on the floor and their hands on their lap. When you place your finger on their forehead and lightly put their head back, they won’t be able stand up.

6.Challenge your friends to hold a matchbox like this and drop it on the table so that it lands on its end. - they will fail every time. All you need to do is simply push up the drawer a tiny amount, and the matchbox will stand up.

The next conjuring tricks.(7) and (8)

7. Tell your friends that you can place a pin through an inflated balloon without bursting it. When they accept the bet carefully place the pin through the thick rubber by the not-it wont burst!

8.Bet your friends that two of you can stand on either end of a sheet of paper, but your friend won’t be able to touch you. To win the bet, place the paper in a doorframe, have your friend stand (causative), close the door,and you stand on the other end.

The neXt conjuring tricks.(9) and (10)

9.)On the last video there was a secret belt, hardly anyone found it,so here it is.You’ll need a belt where you can tell the difference between the inside and outside. Fold the belt in half and roll it up like this. Explain to your friend that they have to place into one of the center loops so that the belt is caught on their finger when it’s pulled away. If they choosed the loop formed by the outside of the belt just pulled the belt away normally. If they choosed the loop formed by the inside of the belt just moved this part of the belt around and then pull it away. Either way , you win the bet.

10.Pour some water in a paper cup. Next stand on a chair, and place the cap against the ceiling, put a broom against the bottom of the cup, and bet your friends that he can keep with the broom. When they accept the bet, but they can’t escape without pouring the water over themselves. But be careful because they might not very happy .

Dear friends,

Now some readings of Think in English, # 108, “News” and “Science”, from page 6 to 9.

Have a great week.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

Now, really “Science”, Think in English issue 108.

Thanks again.

José Sarto

Energy

Unfortunately we can’t say that our sources of energy are inexhaustible. Saving energy and being environmentally friendly is all the rage right now. At home, most of us make a conscious effort to turn off unused lights or to not waste water. But some people take environmental friendliness up a notch. This is an eternal problem from where we can gain new energy. Our current rate of fossil fuel usage will lead to an energy crisis this century.

A five-story Bio Intelligent Quotient (B.I.Q.) building,is heated by fast-growing algae to create biofuel. Biofuels are fuels which are produced from living organisms.This apartment building has large panels that store algae inside of them. The panels also have solar energy collectors, which turn sunlight into energy. This building’s tenants say they save around 1,000 Euros per year on their electricity bill.

Scott and Julie Brusaw are hard at work on their Solar Roadway, a road made out of solar panels.The solar panel road could reduce energy consumption overnight.
It would also mean less asphalt production, which requires lots of energy.The small parking lot costs a pretty penny though: $750,000 to be exact. The couple are confident, however, that their solar roadway will pay for itself over time.

“Algae are mega oil producers capable of producing 1,000 to 5,000 gallons of oil per acre. Oil collected from algae looks very similar, chemically, to crop oils and can be converted to renewable fuel using existing technology. Algae also do not compete with food sources, can grow in nonpotable and saline water on otherwise nonproductive land, treat polluted waters and recycle carbon dioxide (CO2). So if algae are so phenomenal, why aren’t we using them to produce biofuels on a large-scale today? „

How long do you think it will be until you too are living in an apartment powered by algae? Or driving on a solar roadway? We hope it’s sooner, rather than later.

Mistake

Michael Jordan once said:
“I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.”
Edison said:
“I have not failed. I have merely found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
Don’t worry about mistakes.
II like this saying: Fake it until you make it. Yes, we pretend to be confident even it is difficult
We have to play this role for that we learn how to behave when we are confident. Perhaps after a lot of rehearsals we will learn this role. And if we accept Michael Jordan’s and Thomas Edison’s advice we won’t be ashamed if we make some mistakes.
“Confidence is a feeling. If you practice feeling confidence, you build confidence. Don’t worry if you don’t feel it at first. You will.” “Fake it until you make it.”.

9. Amazing Ways To Stop Overeating

1. Switch to smaller plate.
These plates contains the same amount of food but the portion looks much bigger on the smaller plate. So replace larger plates with smaller ones and you will end up eating less.

2.Don’t reach for snack using your dominate hand, instead use your not dominate-hand and you’ll end up eating about 20% less.

3. Short wide glasses look like they contain the same amount as a tall thin one.But that is an illusion, actually they hold far more. To cut down the drinking, use a tall thin glass.

4.Then there is the power of the mirrors. In one experiment, psychologist Brad Bushman. ‘Hi, I’m Brad Bushman’. Place both healthy and unhealthy food on a table and ask people to snack away. When he placed a mirror behind the food, they became more self-conscious and ate more healthily. So placing a mirror in your kitchen on on your refrigerator door.

5You’ll consume fewer calories each day if you chew gum when you feel hungry. And go for fruit flavoured gum, because mint flavour gum makes some healthy food strange.

6. People who eat quickly consume more. To eat less, just slow down and, place you fork or spoon down between each bite. Research shows that people eat fewer snacks when they

7 Research shows that people eat fewer snacks when they eat are served on red plates ,perhaps because red is associated with stop. Either way, when you have to choice, go for (choose) red plates and bowls. You eat more when you watch television. And simply turning off your TV at mealtimes means that you consume up to (maximum) 50% less.

8.Just taking a photograph of all unhealthy food you eat will help you cut down on unhealthy eating by around about a third. Whenever we see lots of different varieties of food (several different food) we eating by about a third. Whenever we see a lots of varieties of food we are tempted to try some of each. To eat less, serve the same amount of food, but cut down on the variety.

9. For more life changing ideas, visit In5seconds

youtube.com/watch?v=2IQiK2pYNWQ

Best posh accent? R.P. BBC English or Standard English

Hello, everyone thanks for joining me. This is a video response to you. The video I made about the RP (abbr: received pronunciation) English accent. I wanted to space this video because it generated (produced/created) [u]quit/u lots of comments and I felt I needed [b]T[/b] (sth is exactly right for sb) elaborate on(=to explain or describe sth in a more detailed way) why so bad the PDA(Personal Digital Assistant =a very small computer that it is used to for storing personal information and creating documents and they may include other functions as telephone, fax, connection on the Net) because on that video I tell you that I don’t think all pay’s a nice accent received not say should I say it’s not nice accent and you shouldn’t try to acquire you want to find out why say was VA (Department of Veteran Affairs) I and people, people have comments because they were consent that teflon (smoothness, evenness, plainness) a horrible accent say feel want to put your mind at rest and for some people I think they were just plain from in their comments so I want saying you have just that I have to work this is a common sense and just talking from memory here.

(Continue on)
youtube.com/watch?v=yNKQdAScTL8

Dear friends,

Now I have “Baby”, by Nelly Reifler, a short story. Speak Up 201.

Thanks for your attention.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

Now comes the second part of “Baby”,by Nelly Reifler.

Thanks again.

JoséSarto

Dear friends,

My final ‘homework’, this time 'Life Coaching: You know what your problem is?", by Derek Workman, from Speak Up # 201.

Thanks for your attention.

José Sarto

What would you do in a life or death situation? What would you give up to save your life? Could you give up your house or your car? Could you give up all the money on your bank account? How much could you give up? Could you give up your own arm? What is your life depended on it? Could you cut your own arm on? In 2003 Aron Ralstin was in a that kind of life or death situation. He was hiking in a desert canyon when something terrible happened. He fell in his arm became tracked under a big rock.There was no one to help him, he had only two choices, he could die or he could cut his own arm to escape. Aron was an experienced adventure athlete, in 2002 he quit his job as an engineer and set a world record for climbing. He became the first person to climb all of Colorado’s largest mountains alone in winter. He was not afraid of danger. In 2003 he was almost killed by an avalanche while skiing. Later that same year he almost was lost his life while hiking. He didn’t expect that to be dangerous so he made a very big mistake. He didn’t tell anyone where he was going. Ont he first day he hiked about 20 miles into the desert when he fell into a hole. As he fell he moved a large rock that weighed 360 kilos. The rock landed on his arm. He was tracked, he was alone and the desert. And no one knew where he was.Aron knew that help was not coming.He immediately thought cutting off his arm.

This story isn’t a kind of story to what we could listen passively. The story paints a vivid picture of Aron’s hiking. We could imagine him on his feet the mountaineering boots, in his hand Alpine-stocks, with his safety rope I see his sunburned face , he wore sunglasses in the brilliant sunshine. It wasn’t a scorching day it was a spring like weather. The sky was blue only some fleecy clouds glittered on it. A soft breeze stroked his face. He enjoyed silence of nature only lively and cheerful chirp of the birds reminded him of not being all alone. The accident always happens unacceptably. When we enjoy our life, when everything is beautiful as a bolt out of the blue – everything collapsed in the fraction of the second. He heard a roaring sound and the next moment he saw that a stone avalanche comes down from the mountain. He tried to avoid the stones but the next moment an enormous rock approached towards him with an incredible speed. He had time to avoid it for fear that it will kill him. He successfully avoided the impacts but his left arm got under the rock. In his fear he didn’t felt any ache. (It is interesting that in the war when the soldier dies from a shot in the stomach he died with a smile on his face. I had an occasion to experience it when I had a car accident and my hip-bone broke and my right kidney smashed I didn’t feel ANY pain about for an hour. In the ambulance I thought that they take me for an X-ray and they will tell me that’s everything is okay. But it happened in other way. On the X ray machine I have to move and I say to the doctor that I have pains. The doctor told me : "We know dear, only a few minutes and we anesthetize you because we have to operate you. )

I told this that I experienced that after a big accident we don’T feel any pain. I think Aron didn’t felt pain so he could size up the situation what he could do. He realized that he is unable to move the rock so he took captive of the rock. If he doesn’t do anything he will die. Soon he realized the single solution he has to rid of his arm. Immediately he began to act. He took off a very sharp knife from his packet and he began to amputate his arm. When he began to do it, his pain became unsupportable, he didn’t have to keep back his hurling which reverberated around the mountains. After the amputation he had to tear up with one hand and his teeth his shirt and bandage up his bleeding wound.

Luckily he reached the nearest station from where he had been transported in a hospital by a helicopter. A healthy person thinks that I wouldn’t have to do it. We can say it as he chose the life instead of the death. The proverb in this case: Necessity knows no law.

Michael Jordan once said:
“I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.”
Edison said:
“I have not failed. I have merely found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
Don’t worry about mistakes.
I like this saying:" Fake it until you make it." Yes, we pretend to be confident even it is difficult
We have to play this role for that we learn how to behave when we are confident. Perhaps after a lot of rehearsals we will learn this role. And if we accept Michael Jordan’s and Thomas Edison’s advice we won’t be ashamed if we make some mistakes.

I 've liked this: “Confidence is a feeling. If you practice feeling confidence, you build confidence. Don’t worry if you don’t feel it at first. You will.” “Fake it until you make it"

‘Easier said than done‘ is a common English expression. It means that something is easy to talk about, but not so easy to do.

Let’s look at some examples:

“The secret to losing weight is to eat less and move more. Easier said than done.”

“The secret to becoming a better English speaker and listener is to speak more and listen more. Easier said than done.”

My experience that I easily can understand videos of intermediate or sometimes advanced level when I listened to them by myself. I need an improvement in English for that I can express myself. I can do more easily if in a conversation minimum one of speakers speaks a good English. For me lot of things depends on this.

If I speak to somebody who doesn’t know the correct stress of the words and sentences, I became confused and I mispronounced even those words what I could pronounce correctly. We should need one single person who direct the conversation with a good pronunciation . It would help everybody.

I tried to speak on Skype with people of bad pronunciation -it was a loss of time. It is an anguish.

So it would be very good if we can speak about the topics, in a group in which one person would take the group in hand.

Vocabulary:

anguish
noun
ˈéƋɡwÉȘʃ
[uncountable] (formal)

severe pain, mental suffering or unhappiness
He groaned in anguish.Tears of anguish filled her eyes.

UN court: Japan whaling ‘not scientific’

The UN’s International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s Antarctic whaling programme is not for scientific purposes.

Japan catches about 1,000 whales each year for what it calls scientific research.

Australia filed a case with the ICJ in May 2010, arguing that Japan’s programme - under which it kills whales - is commercial whaling in disguise.

The court’s decision is considered legally binding.

Japan had said earlier that it would abide by the court’s ruling.

Reading out the judgement on Monday, Presiding Judge Peter Tomka ordered a temporary halt to the programme.

The court said it had decided, by 12 votes to four, “that Japan shall revoke any extant authorisation, permit or licence granted in relation to JARPA II [Japan’s whaling programme in the Antarctic] and refrain from granting any further permits in pursuance of that programme”.

In a statement, the court said that Japan’s programme involved activities which “can broadly be characterised as scientific research”.

However, it said that “the evidence does not establish that the programme’s design and implementation are reasonable in relation to achieving its stated objectives.”

It added: “The court concludes that the special permits granted by Japan for the killing, taking and treating of whales in connection with JARPA II are not ‘for purposes of scientific research’ pursuant to [the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling].”

Vocabulary:
legally binding agreement= to be legally responsible for sth
the court’s ruling.=the court’s official decision
revoke = officially cancel sth that it is
authorization=(U/C) =official permission to do sth

by 12 votes to 2 =having 12 positive vote against to negative vote
implementation = execution of law
in pursuance of =(pəˈsjuːəns)(pərˈsu əns) = in order to do sth; in the process of doing sth)
persuant to (pəˈsjuːənt)
=pursuant to preposition =according to, agreeing to for e: pursuant to the law

How animals mourn

Some famous quotes also.
It is indisputable that some animals are capable of feeling grief stories of wild animals displaying emotions are not new or unusual.

“ On the saddest of sights in a world of sin is the little lost pup with his tail tucked in.”(Arthur Gitterman)

The bond between a female whale and her calf is very strong.

“Shall we, because we walk our hind feet, assume to ourselves only the privilege of imperishability? (George Eliot.)

Elephant display an evident understanding of death and grief, a heard will stay with the remains of companion gently touching her body with their trunks.

“The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief.(Hilary Stanton Zunin.)

Physical contact among great apes has been shown to provide reassurance in times of stress and grief.

Animals that tend to display signs of grief are those which are known to have memories.

Whales would ram whaling ships when one of their members was killed but display no such animosity towards whale watching vessels.

“Ask of the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth. (St.Francis of Assisi)

There is indisputable evidence to show that dogs especially can react in a negative way to the loss of their companion.

Many owners would privately accept that their pets show sign of emotion, including the grief.

With companion animals especially, it is not just death but separation, too, that can lead to grief.

“Of all the animals, surely the dog is the only one that really shares our life, helps in our work, and has a place in our recreation, It is the only one that becomes so fond of us that sometimes it cannot go on living after its master dies.” (Ferdinand Mercy)

Stable cats and horses can form close bonds.

“Grief can’t be shared. Everyone carries it alone, his own burden, his own way.” (Anne Morrow Lindbergh) This is true for us people also.

“ And can it be that in a world so full and busy the loss of one creature makes a
void so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of eternity can fill it up!”(Charles Dickens)

“Tears are the silent language of grief.” (Voltaire)

“There is no grief like the grief that does not speak.” (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

youtube.com/watch?v=2rNe1le_Ah8