Speak spontaneously!

mic please.

Attention Parents:University of Minnesota Amplatz Children Hospital
This is what 2 beers, 2 shots of Captain Morgan, 2 shots of apple pie moonshine, 2 shots of whiskey, and a handful of liquor soaked blueberries looks like on a 16 year old.
My daughter and her cousin decided to throw themselves a party last night while they were home alone for 2 hours at their dads’ house. They raided the liquor cabinet and when my ex husband got home he found the girls drunk and our daughter unresponsive. He rushed her to the hospital in Wyoming, and Court and I met him there.
When I arrived I was rushed into the ER and there was my child, lying on a gurney. She was covered in heated blankets to combat hyperthermia - her body temperature was 95 degrees. She was being pumped full of iv fluids. One of the tubes in her throat was running into her stomach continously draining the fluid therein.
It took the ER team 3 attempts to intubate Taylor, they tore her throat up in the process. It was necessary - so she could be attached to the ventilator which spent the next 13 hours breathing for her, because she wasn’t able to breathe on her own.
She was rushed by ambulance to U of M Amplatz Children’s Hospital around midnight.
My daughter’s symptoms were caused by her blood alcohol level reaching it’s plateau at .43.
More than 5 times the legal limit.
High enough to kill a grown man.
The Doctors at Amplatz made it very clear to us that had her father had not found our child when he did, she would have undoubtedly died in that house last night.
We, by the Grace Of God alone, will not be burying our child this week. But only because we are extremely blessed.
And extremely lucky.
Some party.
I hope my daughter and my niece understand how fortunate they both are. I hope they learned a valuable lesson in this. And I hope this experience shared can help prevent another child losing her life to alcohol.
Parents: 2 hours. They were only alone for 2 hours.
Kids: 2 beers and 6 shots is all it took to almost kill this girl.
Please share this. Help raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol poisoning and teenage binge drinking.
I never thought I could find us in a situation like this.
Neither did Taylor.
Maybe we should have.

What is Captain Morgan?Captain Morgan is a brand of rum produced by alcohol conglomerate Diageo

Apple pie moonshine:Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
3 cups white sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
1 liter bottle of 190 proof moonshine or grain alcohol,

Warning! Apple pie moonshine will sneak up on you! This stuff is so smooth and tasty. Use with CAUTION!

Exercise.-horoscope-detail

High amount of buzzing and activity would be felt in the coming months, Your luck will be good but personal temperament & nature would be quite volatile. Fluctuation in thinking & lack of clarity in decision making could be detrimental to progress & growth. You need to remain focused on your plans, as you were prior to March . Avoid new projects now. Sudden increase in hurdles at work and rise in aggression & latent anger could come .Be cautious about injury and sudden ailments. Relations with spouse & family of spouse could also cause concerns. Travel might cause expenses and most of the expenses might not be very beneficial for you. Be prudent when planning travels till July. You need to be calm, focused and determined in what you do in the next 4 months.

volatile ADJECTIV
ˈvɒlətaÉȘl
1 (often disapproving) (of a person or their moods)
changing easily from one mood to another
a highly volatile personality
2 (of a situation)
likely to change suddenly; easily becoming dangerous
SYNONYM unstable
a highly volatile situation from which riots might develop
a volatile exchange rate
[b]3 /b (of a substance)
that changes easily into a gas
Petrol is a volatile substance.
volatility (n)

fluctuate VERB(IV)
ˈflʌktʃueÉȘt

to change frequently in size, amount, quality, etc, especially from one extreme to another
SYNONYM vary
fluctuating prices
During the crisis, oil prices fluctuated between $20 and $40 a barrel.

• adverb/preposition Temperatures can fluctuate by as much as 10 degrees.
    My weight fluctuated wildly depending on how much I ate.
    My mood seems to fluctuate from day to day.
    The rate of inflation has been fluctuating around 4% for some time.
    fluctuation

ˌflʌktʃuˈeÉȘʃn fluctuation
    NOUN [countable, uncountable]
    fluctuation (in/of something) wild fluctuations in interest rates

focus VERB
ˈfəʊkəs f

1 [intransitive, transitive] to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another
focus (on/upon somebody/something) The discussion focused on three main problems.
Each exercise focuses on a different grammar point.
focus something (on/upon somebody/something) The visit helped to focus world attention on the plight=Difficult situation) of the refugees.
2 [intransitive, transitive] (of your eyes, a camera, etc.) to adapt or be adjusted so that things can be seen clearly; to adjust something so that you can see things clearly
It took a few moments for her eyes to focus in the dark.
focus on somebody/something Let your eyes focus on objects that are further away from you.
In this scene, the camera focuses on the actor’s face.
focus something (on somebody/something) He focused his blue eyes on her.
I quickly focused the camera on the children.
3 [transitive] focus something (on something) (technical) to aim light onto a particular point using a lens

detrimental ADJECTIVE
ˌdetrÉȘˈmentl

detrimental (to somebody/something) (formal)
harmful
SYNONYM damaging
the sun’s detrimental effect on skin
The policy will be detrimental to the peace process.
detrimentally
ˌdetrÉȘˈmentəli

hurdle NOUN
ˈhɜːdl
1 each of a series of vertical frames that a person or horse jumps over in a race
His horse fell at the final hurdle.
to clear a hurdle(= jump over it successfully)
2 hurdles [plural] a race in which runners or horses have to jump over hurdles
the 300 m hurdles
3 a problem or difficulty that must be solved or dealt with before you can achieve something
SYNONYM obstacle
The next hurdle will be getting her parents’ agreement.
Well we’ve cleared the first hurdle; let’s see what happens next.
We worked hard for three months on the deal only to see it fall at the final hurdle.

The stress ‘epidemic’ at work

Stress at work is spiralling out of control, with many employees in danger of completely burning out, it was claimed yesterday.
A survey warned that one in four of those in professions such as teaching, social work and the police are suffering from serious stress. In other occupations up to 15 per cent of staff have problems.
‘People who need workplace counselling show signs of psychological distress equivalent to that found in out-patient psychiatric hospitals,’ said Professor John McLeod of Abertay University, Dundee.
He said the culture which gives employees and bosses the longest working hours in Europe must change or Britain will ‘break down’.
His study of 10,000 workers found that those in the private sector are suffering from the requirement to deliver higher and higher productivity per person.
In the public sector - particularly in the NHS - staff are being asked to take on more responsibility with fewer resources.
Professor McLeod said: ‘This is not just a minor worry any more. It can be a serious crisis in people’s lives.’
He said the problem was no longer confined to management and now affected office workers and manual workers.
Undiagnosed anxiety conditions now cause more absences from work than traditional complaints such as backache, hangovers and stomach trouble.
His report, for the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, claims counselling can reduce the incidence of office-related stress by half. Countering stress boosts performance and cuts the number of sick days taken.
Professor McLeod warned that workplace anxiety will not go away unless Britain learns how to offer help to staff. But he said the British ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude often prevents people admitting how awful their workplace is.
Psychologist Dr Michael Reddy, of the counselling firm ICAS, added: 'Over stress is a time bomb ticking away in the basement of UK plc. It is not just a question of shopfloor versus management as the TUC suggests.
‘In this cost and corner-cutting culture we are all in the firing line.’
Business groups, however, were not convinced by the report.
Ruth Lea, of the Institute of Directors, said: 'People should really get things in perspective. I do get irritated by this. Most people are comfortable at work and often stress is just part and parcel of a job.
‘There may be people who are too stressed but this can be addressed. It is usually a sign of bad management which can be changed.’
Union leaders claim work-related stress is a serious issue which could soon be regarded as deadly as cancer and heart disease.
A record 516 new cases were dealt with in 1999, up a quarter on the year before.
Last year Janice Howell, a primary school teacher who claimed stress drove her to two nervous breakdowns, was awarded ÂŁ250,000.
Mrs Howell’s union, the NAS/UWT, revealed it has at least 120 similar cases pending, with claims that could run into millions.
Share or comment on this article

What is countering stress?

Mindfulness techniques can counter stress, from the Harvard Mental Health Letter

OCTOBER 2011

Traffic jams. Job woes. Visits from the in-laws. Life is full of stress. One of the best ways to counter stress is to pay attention to what is going on. That may sound counterintuitive, but paying attention is the first step toward cultivating mindfulness. As the October 2011 issue of the Harvard Mental Health Letter reports, mindfulness is an effective therapeutic technique for a range of mental health problems (as well as physical ones).

The practice of mindfulness, which has its roots in Buddhism, teaches people to live each moment as it unfolds. The idea is to focus attention on what is happening in the present and accept it without judgment. Although a variety of mindfulness techniques exist, most involve some type of meditation — a focus on a particular word, phrase, or physical experience that helps calm both mind and body.

Dr. Michael Miller, editor in chief of the Harvard Mental Health Letter, notes that mindfulness meditation can help prevent relapse in people who have had several past episodes of major depression. Research also suggests that the practice of mindfulness can help alleviate anxiety and reduce physical symptoms such as pain or hot flashes. The article discusses several do-it-yourself mindfulness meditation techniques that people can try on their own at home.

2179 permalink.

Heraklion, Crete’s capital and largest city, is also named after Heracles, as was Herculaneum, the ancient Roman town that was buried under ash when Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

We have to read very attentively as Heraklion is the sank town in the Mediterranean see. And Herculaneum and Pompeii is in middle Italy. After the Mount Vesuvius eruption in 79 AD. they had been buried with ashes . It happened so unexpectedly that the people didn’t have time to run away from the cities. In the Naples museum you can see “statues” where in the ashes turned to stone the people smelt from the heat and when dig out the towns they found the people’s negative hole and they cast the holes with plasters and the people were there as they comb their hair or bake the bread. Some of the “statues” are in the Museum of Naples.

Only in the XVIII century they began make excavations. It is true that robbers drove tunnels in the petrified ashes and they stole jewels. The two cities were buried about for 1800 years.

“Garden of the Fugitives”. Plaster casts of victims still in situ; many casts are in the Archaeological Museum of Naples.

Ashes to ashes: the latter-day ruin of Pompeii At the west side look at the red square where there is the mount Vesuvius + Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Dear friends,

Hope to talk to all of you this Sunday in our free Skype chat.

To Kati: a small correction: sea.

Thanks for your nice shots posted on 'speak spontaneously'.

This time “Riff-raff & other out-of-date terms” fromThink in English # 110.

Bye for now.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

This time “MySpace and Facebook Horror Stories”,by Douglas Jasch, fromTuhink in English # 107.

Thanks.

José Sarto

Dear José,

I take it with pleasure if somebody helps me to correct my spelling mistakes. I wish that everybody tries to help the others.

Many thanks José.

Hope the sun is shining on you today!

Kati

The most dangerous type of among us who you characterize with this proverb: .“Slow waters run deep”

In Hungarian this proverb means that they are hypocritical, they accept everything without saying anything or with few words. So the other say: she is so patient,tolerant, forbearing etc. Generally their quiet is combined with a sneaky trick, dishonesty, for that they could deceive easily their friends. They could pretend this attitude so authentically if who dare to call them in question those burn their fingers, and soon receive that "you are evil-minded ". So everything is wild-goose chase. And you can say to yourselves and in your prayers :“My God not be right what I see.”

But the truth shows the cloven hoof when this kind of person bled the other white. And the tragedy becomes unavoidable.

Unfortunately!!!

You can never win if you join your life this kind of person.

Dear friends,

This time an interesting ‘conversation’ between Nixon and Khruschchev, called “The Kitchen Debate,Moscow”, year 1959, pages 536-538 of A Patriot’s Handbook, by Caroline Kennedy.

Have a great week.

José Sarto

Hello my dear friend Urs,

Happy Birthday to you and Many Happy Returns of the Day. Do you remember my words just on top of the mountain we climbed in Arshan. I said then that we are 100 years old to sum up 51 mine and 49 yours. And I said that we should meet our 200 anniversary there. Why not? I think our children will be able to deliver us there by helicopters. You know that fantstic things happen sometimes.
I would like to send you some new pictures to get you acquainted with winter time in our (yours and ours) valley just as a birthday present.

That is on the way home from Lake Baikal

This is Irkut not too far from Kyren

This is a frozen stream in Khongor-Uula

This is a mineral water source in Khongor-Uula. It never freezes.

And this is for you instead of flowers. This is a bouqet made of birch-tree branches an red willow, wich is reddest just in the beginning of spring.

That’s enough. The rest I will show you next time. And now I am to send you the biggest hello from Marina and other relatives. They liked you and like you and will like you very much. And they call you tender: “our extraterrestrial”. God knows - maybe they are right)))

See you soon. Be what you are - kind, clever, industrious an inquisitive. A real and a fantastic man at the same time.

Sincerely yours,
Yuri

Hi , I am from your neighbor country from Hungary.I live in Budapest. I am a retired teacher. I can say the same as you. I couldn’t learn English when I was at school, not only me but any of contemporaries. Only those whose parents payed a private teacher could learn in English. My children as yours already could learn English teacher. My children could learn English. and as your children, My children are adults, they speak in English very well. My daughter lives in the US. and she applied in a TV company for a phone-in program and she received this job. I don’t keep in secret that I am very proud of her as she could accept the different phone-calls and can choose what is the most interesting what she sends in emission. This means that she understands the different pronunciation. Now her job had been wider than earlier as she had to go in the town to interview people in the street and in the cafĂ©s and these reports also goes in emissions.

Luckily her teacher used to be a native British woman who forbade to us that anybody tries to hear her lesson for fear of spoiling her skilled phonetics.

Only today I understand her since I try to learn English that the phonetics, the “th” and all vowels are produced differently as the Hungarian sounds. And even one thing that a 6 year-old child very quickly learns the correct phonetics until for an adult it is a very hard work if we can learn it at all.

Dear friends,

Before my recording, some words to Katy.

Please, observe these: 
 your neighbor country Hungary
 any of my contemporaries
 paid
 speak English
 applied for
 keep secret that
 could choose what was
 WHAT SHE SENDS IN EMISSION
 What do you mean? Another observation: a long sentence
 she understands different pronunciations. NOW 
 job HAS 
 she has to go downtown
 people on the streets
 forbade us
 correct phonetics WHEN
 adult
 SHE/HE can learn it.

This time, Iroquois, The Thanksgivings, 1891, from A Patriot’s Handbook, by Caroline Kennedy.
Thanks for your attention.

JoséSarto

Dear friends,

I have the privilege to inform you that I was approved in the 2013 ECPE. Second time in a row, as I did it again because I wanted to improve my mark of the listening test. I’m not so sure about my improvement,but needless to say this new diploma/certificate is a big achievement.

Have a great Wednesday. By the way,I wish I have more participants on this Wednesday’s Skype chat.

José Sarto

Hello everyone.
It’s so disappointing that no one is participating in the Skype sessions these days. These is no prior information from the hosts as well. I understand we all have reasons and a busy schedule, still i request each and every one to kindly give some time to the sessions and make it lively as we did in the earlier sessions.
I have a personal request to all the participants “join us if possible”.
Thanks and regards
Richaa

Dear José,

Accept my congratulations on your result in the 2013 ECPE. I never heard about this exam so I have to look up, now I know that this abbreviation stands for Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English .

Congs to you again.

Bast regards:
Kati

Hello yuri,
A thousand thanks for your marvelous pictures! I’m so seldom on our threads that i even didn’t get a message. Thanks to your private message i see them now - and you’re right, they remind me i had wished to get to know irkutskk and the tunka valley in mid-winter in the first place! Let’s wait and see!
As for living up to a hundred years: i’m not completely sure about managing to stay alive till then - right now i have the feeling i’m more like a candle lit on both ends

But, i hope this will change soon.
Many thanks, yuri, for your kind, or let me even say tender words:):):slight_smile:
I will print out the pictures and so the bushes instead of flowers will stay fresh for a long time!
Please give my best wishes to marina and your family!

urs

Hello richaa

you have all good reasons to complain about the sessions, people missing out and all

I cannot speak for the others, but I beg you to be patient with me for a while, i’ll do my best and hope i’ll be able to be around more often again soon!
Have a nice day
urs

Dear friends,

Let’s go back to my speaking practices, so here I have “If you vote” by Alan Townend.

Have a great weekend.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

Now comes “Communicating with you”,by Alan Townend.

Thanks again.

José Sarto