Spam clean-up list

I know that the comments you made in this thread are unfair.
I am not surprised by that.

Has it never ever occurred to you that possibly your comments could also be construed as ‘unfair’ ? Or would that be another thing that might not surprise you?

Hi Bev, spammers spam for one major purpose: To place links into their posts. If they can’t put any links into the messages they post on our forum, it’s very likely they give up.

By they way, I’m not trying to convince you of anything.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social science class (2)

Not if they are little robots that don’t actually realise their links are being turned into plain text, they don’t.

But as I say, I’d be happy to be convinced, so we can see some normalcy return.

When will this anti-spam measure be put in place?

Give it a break!!

Do you have a specific objection to me voicing that very reasonable question, or are you just being objectionable in general?

I assume the intention is to completely block posts from newly registered members if they contain hyperlinks. A suitable explanatory message would be issued for the benefit of genuine human users. Then, after a suitable interval has elapsed, and that person has proved him/herself to be a genuine user, the facility to post links would be enabled. That is how I have seen it work at other forums, I think.

Thank you, Dozy. That makes sense now.

My question to the administrators remains:
When can we hope to see these measures in place?

New members will be able to posts but they won’t be able to insert any HTML tags.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor discuss an experiment with dummies?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hmmm… so human generated spam will be dealt with but any bots won’t realise their HTML is being stripped?

Anyway, when do you hope to be able to introduce this measure?

You do take on a very authoritative manner with your questions don’t you? What role are you now assuming on this site?

Even many human spammers would probably be too hasty or stupid to notice that their links are being stripped, based on the sort of garbage unparsed HTML that people regularly post. Let’s hope that spam posts are blocked, not merely stripped of links.

Looks like it’s now in place – or at least mostly in place. That’s a start. A new member-spammer named Codiscountnfl currently has 86 posts (including two in this thread). URLs have been turned into plain text, BUT he has managed to insert a few live links to websites, along with a link to his shopping cart, as well as pictures. So, the junk is still coming in, and will still need to be cleaned out, but at least most of the links have been disabled.

[color=darkblue]_______________________________________________
[size=75]“Processed pig is white trash meat. Some people call it Spam.” ~ Scott Weiland[/size]

New one:

english-test.net/forum/viewt … 018#458018

That’s the same spammer I mentioned in my last post, Kati (“Codiscountnfl”). Apparently someone has now deleted his posts from this thread, but has not gotten to the other 83 or 84 junk posts in all of the other forums yet.

“concerned member”

That is how to answer a direct question in a direct manner.

While I’m waiting for a sensible person to read my question and answer it, I’ll just remove that troublesome spammer bot who has left a trail of 83 posts, including photos and live links, all over the forums.

Just dispatched ‘Note33’ - another spammer bot with over 90 messages, some with apparently live weblinks.

EDIT - also ‘Pathor12’, ‘Nikel01’ and ‘Jenelia’ who also had live links, so I guess the anti-spam measure isn’t in place yet.
When can we expect that?

This ‘guest’ spam is still there. I can’t get at it.

All these are past spammers. They appear to still have active forum accounts, but although messages are accredited to each name, when you click on the messages, nothing exists.
I wonder if it could be linked to the ‘guest’ account problems:

There may be more, but I gave up looking after this eight.

I’ve encountered this problem too.
I think I have an explanation, imagine this scenario:
A user creates a thread. Another used adds new posts to this thread. Then the first user gets deleted and as a consequence, the whole thread is removed altogether. So all the messages from the second user are now “ghost posts” because they formally exist but not assigned to any existing thread.
That’s just a wild guess.