Spam clean-up list

I noticed that all the photos are showing as a broken file icon. Is this because of the new measures that are being taken to control spam?

Claudia

Et25 seems to be a brand new spammer-member. There are no links in his posts (which are not written in English), however there are live links in his signature.

New spam-member Akjambo3 has been reduced to mostly plain text, but has somehow managed to also include what appear to be live links.

The spammers Iā€™m deleting now all have live links. They all appear to be bots too from the speed of the messages being sent.

The administrators donā€™t seem to be able to answer my question regarding when their latest anti-spam strategies will take effect, so I have no idea as to whether or not measures have been put in place ā€” but if they have, they donā€™t seem to be very effective.

There does seem to be a reduction in numbers, but Iā€™d guess that the real test will come at the weekend when there are more sporting fixtures of the kind favoured by the spammers.

Seems not to have made much difference, judging by the tidal wave of shit that is engulfing the forums again right now ā€¦

Language, Timothy!

Indeed. A stronger, less innocuous word would have described the rampant spamming much more satisfactorily. On the other hand, in combination with the ā€˜engulfing tidal waveā€™ imagery, I suppose the situation was pretty well described.

[color=darkblue]____________________________________________
[size=75]ā€œBy and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.ā€ ~ George Carlin[/size]

Ladies and Gentlemen,
As far as I can tell from the discussion, the question is about telling the authors that their message(s) are not supposed to contain any links.
We are currently working on a solution for that - should be able to install it either late today or tomorrow
Will post a message here when it is in place

Serge

Hi Serge,

Iā€™d say thatā€™s only part of the problem. The bigger problem is the fact that these spammers are so easily able to flood the forums with junk posts. Even if all of the links are ā€œdeactivatedā€, there will still be a mountain of spam posts remaining, which of course means a mountain of work for the person or couple of people who have to delete them all manually. If the the junk posts were left undeleted, the forums would rapidly become practically unusable, or at the very least would scare many regular members away.

Just as it is possible to filter out most of the spam that would otherwise hit an e-mail inbox, is it not possible to filter out spam posters/posts on a forum?

HelloSerge and welcome,

I assume from your post that you are working on this problem. As Esl-Expert points out, you donā€™t seem to have been fully informed of the situation.
The question is not about telling genuine spammers that their posts should not contain links.
It is about blocking the spam posts, particularly those made by bots who would not read a message about whether or not they are supposed to include links in their posts.
This has been the problem for the past three weeks.

I donā€™t think a less innocuous word would have been able to sum up the problem more succinctly. ā€˜Effluenceā€™ just doesnā€™t seem able to carry the same strength of feeling.

Given the nature of some of his recent posts in this thread, anyone could be forgiven for thinking that Alan wished to detract from the real issue.

1 Like

Just canā€™t resist a little sneaky,snide comment,can you? Grow up!

As a forum co-founder/administrator, can you please give us an update on the situation with all this spam, Alan?
Nothing seems to have happened yet.
Members are obviously concerned by it, but you donā€™t seem to have passed comment on it at all. In fact, looking back over the latest four pages of this thread, the only thing you seem to have done is make snide little comments!

Donā€™t you lecture me. missy. Unlike you i have other interests in life apart from english.best

1 Like

Thank you for proving my point, but what about the spam?

Hi Alan,

Rather than posting condescending messages to various concerned members, donā€™t you think your time could be more productively spent in deleting, for example, some of the spam posts that Orpo148 has posted today? Maybe you could delete some of the other spam posts from some of the other new-member spammers as well. You could also provide some updates on your behind-the-scenes spam-fighting progressā€¦

After all, the flood of spam really and truly is a HUGE problem for your forums right now.
It really and truly is NOT a problem that members such as Bev have been wasting so much of their free time ridding spam from your forums. You really ought to be thanking her. And Tort, too!

If you feel a need to be nasty to people, then how about aiming your venom at ā€œpeopleā€ such as Orpo148. Now, THAT would be a valid targetā€¦

1 Like

No, no

as I assume you accept my comment.

Hi Amy

Et tu? I am not being nasty or condescending to anyone. I am just reacting to petty little humourless comments made by the ever so virtuous Bev.

I see you are still choosing to be snide rather than to talk about the spam.

Iā€™ll leave it in your obsessive clutches.

It seems that the answer to my question is ā€œI couldnā€™t care lessā€.

I dread to think how many spammers will be posting here during the Olympics.