sentences related to 'I wish'

hello,

i want to ask which one out of the following two is a correct sentence:

1)I wish i had done that

2)I wish i would have done that

I wish I had done that.

• note that the pronoun ‘I’ is written as a capital letter regardless of its position in the sentence. it is never written in lowercase.

Thanks A lot sir…

I wish I would talk like a native speaker of English.

I wish I talked/could talk like a native speaker of English.
:wink:

I will have done that. Is this correct or not?

I don’t speak English

I wish I spoke english or I wish i did speak english

which is correct?

Usually ‘I wish I spoke English’, but in some situations where you wish to emphasise your wish, the second would be used. However, the pronoun ‘I’ and the word ‘English’ should both be capitalised in writing.
I wish I did speak English.

Could you explain to me please, why I wish I would have done that is wrong?

Here is another thread about ‘wish’.
english-test.net/forum/ftopic80336.html#wish

I don’t know that there’s any reason why it’s wrong, it just is – at least in standard English. This and the related “If I would have…” are common mistakes (or, being charitable, dialect variations).

Hi Dozy,

Are they common only among foreigners, or do native speakers “perpetrate” them on a day-to-day basis too?

These “mistakes” are fairly common among native speakers. A particularly common form is “If I’d/he’d/we’d/ etc. have…” (e.g. “If I’d have known that, I wouldn’t have come”). In such cases I think there may be uncertainty in people’s minds about whether “I’d” means “I would” or “I had”. In fact, some people do say “If I had have…” (which of course is also incorrect in standard English).

I’ll say how I see the matter. Since I am a learner I expect that the teachers will clear this for both of us, me and Miles91.

I wish I had done that. ~ “had done” here is the past perfect subjunctive form of the verb “to do”. ~ means ~ I had to do that at some time in the past but I didn’t. Now I am sorry for. Now I wish I had had.

I wish I would have done that. ~ In the combination of “wish + would have done” one part is redundant. Also in some grammar materials through which I looked, I couldn’t have found that “would have done” can be a subjunctive form of any tense given in the indicative mood. With “wish”, grammar asks for a past subjunctive mood of the verb in the subordinate clause referring to the tense of the verb “wish” in the main clause. (“wish” here in this phrase is in the indicative mood.)

If “I wish I would have done that” were possible it would mean to me as “I wish I had not done that.” If were so, this could make a lot of confusion regarding the phrase with “wish” and the past subjunctive in the subordinate clause.

Thanks

thanks a lot.

I want to know the rules or the ways to explain the future expectations and future wishes (with examples).

1)Tomorrow at this time he might be going to Newyork.

Is this sentence correct as a future expectation?

1. I wish I would get good marks in tomorrows exam .

Is this sentence correct as a future wish?

[color=blue]In the past, ‘I wished a teacher would correct me,’ indicates some action that was wanted by me to happen later.
It actually means the next below

“I didn’t know if the teacher was going to correct me. I just wished he would do that.”

Finally, “I wish a teacher would correct me.” means that I don’t know if he is going to correct me. I wish he would do that so as to be sure I’ve got this properly.

Tomorrow at this time (of day) he might be going to New York.

‘I wish I would get good marks in tomorrow’s exam’ - is an unusual structure. The natural structure would be:
I hope I will get good marks in tomorrow’s exam.

I really don’t understand what you are getting at.

I wished a teacher would correct me = at some point in the past I wished a teacher had corrected me at that time or soon after that time.

‘I wish a teacher would correct me’ should be recast:
I hope a teacher will correct me.

With your the two final sentences, you’ve got the point.

The sentence “I wish a teacher would correct me” whose grammatical form I got from some materials I had found on the Internet, sounds very strange to me.
I would always use the way you suggested “I hope a teacher will correct me” instead.

The strange is that I use the past subjunctive of “will” to indicate my wishes related to the future.

Thanks