sentences related to 'I wish'

The general pattern of “I wish X would Y” is fine to my ear: “I wish you would go away”, “I wish she would call”. To me, “I wish a teacher would correct me” is OK in certain situations, for example when the student knows they are wrong and is eager to be corrected.

Are these following two sentences differs in tense and their applicability?

I wish I would get good marks in tomorrow’s exam.

I wish you would go away.

Can we use them instead of:

I hope I will get good marks in tomorrow’s exam.

“I wish I would get good marks in tomorrow’s exam” is not correct.* Offhand, I can’t think of any circumstance where “I wish I would (do something)” works. There may be some odd exceptions. “I hope I will get good marks in tomorrow’s exam” is OK.

Furthermore, “I wish you would get good marks in tomorrow’s exam” is unnatural, or certainly unusual. “I wish you would (do something)” is normally used only for things that the other person has direct control over and can decide to do or not do. So, “I wish you would go away” is OK because the person can, of their own volition, go away. On the other hand, a person cannot normally simply decide to get good marks. They try their hardest and hope they will get good marks.

• [edited] I see Beeesneees has already answered this. I was guilty of not properly reading the whole thread.

OK…Thanks a lot to all the senior members.