sentence structure

Hi everyone ,I’m new here ,and I’m very exciting about the site and everything.
my english grammer is very bad ,and I have alot of difficulties in writing ,especially with the sentence structure.
I found English grammer through stories a great tool but am wondering ,is it ok if i rewrite the story my own way and post it here to find some who can help with correcting my writing mistake or it is not allowed here to do so .
thank you very much for helping me :slight_smile:

All right. Let’s start with this post.

My try!

Hi everyone

I am new here. I am very happy because the site, and everything, is very exciting.
My English grammar is very bad. I’ve experienced a lot of difficulties related to syntax.
I found English grammar is a great tool when writing stories but I wonder would it be OK if I wrote the story on my own and posted it here in order to find someone who is able to help with correcting my writing mistakes. Or, maybe, it is not allowed here to do so .
Thank you very much for helping me.

I guess Rosalina wanted to say that she was very excited (NOT happy).

Hello everyone,

I’m new here, and I’m very excited with everything that ENGLISH-TEST.NET offers.

My knowledge on English grammar and sentence structures is limited, so I face a lot of trouble when I write in English. It is essential for me to learn English grammar to write stories in correct English.

By the way, I would like to show you my English story in this forum and ask you to correct errors if any.

I would be grateful if you could give me any help.

Rosalina, is this what you wanted to say?

this was changed into

“ask you to correct errors if any.”

Does it match? No, it doesn’t.

Also I would rather say

my knowledge “of English grammar” instead of “on English grammar.”

Hi Rosalina,

What you want to say seems to be perfectly clear and you don’t have to make all the changes suggested by E2 and Tofu, though if you want your message to be grammatically correct, there are some things that you will need to do.

Compare this post with your original post carefully. If you have any questions about any of the differences, please ask:

Hi everyone, I’m new here, and I’m very excited about the site and everything on it.
My English grammar is very bad and I have a lot of difficulties in writing, especially with sentence structure.
I find reviewing English grammar through stories to be a great tool, but I am wondering if it would be okay if I were to rewrite a story my own way and post it here so that someone can help with correcting my writing mistakes. I am not sure whether we are allowed to do so here.
Thank you very much for helping me. :slight_smile:

By the way, to answer your question, it is permissible for you to post rewritten stories here, but because things are very busy at the moment the language coaches cannot guarantee that they will have the time to look at them and help - short excerpts from a story, rather than an entire story, might get better attention.

E2e4,

niu.edu/provost/policies/appm/iii7.shtml
One: The student shall confer with the instructor, informing the instructor of questions concerning the grade, and seeking to understand fully the grounds and procedures the instructor has used in determining the grade. The aim of such a conference is to reach mutual understanding about the grade and the process by which it was assigned, and to [color=red]correct errors, if any, in the grade.

Do you really think that the “if any” is incorrect? What do you say instead, then?

My knowledge [color=red]of English grammar is much better. Keep up the good work.

E2e4,

I’m sorry, but I don’t see your point.

What do you mean by “I’ll keep * that chicken!”?

I’ll keep working well. :slight_smile:

E2e4,

Does “keep * that chicken” really mean “keep working well”?

Tofu, that’s very informal English, probably not used by all NES and for sure not in all situations.:slight_smile:

E2e4,

“keep * that chicken”

What does the asterisk stand for?

Hi, E2e4

In one of your posts you baldly declared that you could care less about AmE, yet here you’re using an expression coined by the American TV anchor Ernie Anastos.
So, what “side” are you on? Or are you still sitting on the fence? :wink:

I do not identify that completely informal phrase with Am E grammar rules. Do you?
When I had said what you mentioned I’d thought about grammar rules.
I think that there are no grammar rules in that phrase. All the rules are thrown away.

In addition, would you explain the fence you have mentioned?

“The fence” is your pointless argument, E2e4.

How are grammar rules different from informal language?
Informal language is a part and parsel of the grammar rules of a language, it’s not a separate entity. The grammar rules govern informal language.
That expresison and its usage is part of the grammar rules of AmE in my book.

If you choose and accept BrE grammar over AmeE grammar, you should accept the whole kit and caboodle that goes with the turf, including British informal language because (to belabor the point I’ve just made) grammar comprises informal language.

If you care to argue my point, I’d like to direct your attention to the definition of the very word “grammar”:

Courtecy of thefreedictionary.com/grammar

The phrase is evidently American English, E2. I don’t know what the asterisk stands for either (though i can make several guesses which I’ll bet wouldn’t be wide of the mark). I also didn’t know what the phrase meant and without your explanation would have had to guess.

It may be an informal phrase, but it certainly adheres to the basic rules of grammar. And even if it didn’t, that wouldn’t make it any less ‘AmE’.

If you don’t know what Tort is referring to, I suggest you look up the idiom, ‘To sit on the fence’

That asterisk stands for the “f” word + ing.
I took the trouble to look it up in the Urban dictionary as my curiocity got the better of me (and from all appearances the Urban dictionary is the only place where it is defined).
=)

Hmmmm…

Keep feeding that chicken, eh?

;D

Any of the words separately doesn’t mean anything related to the slang. All of you knew it very well. Much better than I do.
Anyway I’ll not swing on over to your place so as to tell you the meaning of the each word separately.