See or look

Hi,

There are many words that on the surface seem to have the same meaning but on closer examination, you find this isn’t the case. They often come in twos and ‘look’ and ‘see’ are an example of a difficult pair.

english-test.net/stories/86/index.html

Alan

1 Like

Dear, Alan!

Thank you for your interesting topic and interesting and useful expressoins.
Like this: “Joh and Mary are seeing each other at the moment”.

Would you please explain me the difference between "remember, memorize, to bear in mind and so on).

All the best,
Olga.

1 Like

Hi Olga,

Let me explain briefly - ‘remember’ simply means ‘not forget’ - ‘memorize’ means ‘learn something so that you can repeat it from memory’ and ‘bear in mind’ suggests ‘consider’ or 'keep in mind when you have to make a decision…

Hope that helps.

Alan

1 Like

Dear, Alan!

That`s just it, what I wanted to know!

Thank you and All the best,
Olga

1 Like

Good points Alan, Thank you.

Mixmixi

1 Like

~~

1 Like

Hi,

And you wanted to say?

Alan

1 Like

Hi alan

He had reached this high government position despite the fact that he had been blind from birth.

On this stentance “despite the fact that he had been blind from birth” , I could not understand the meanings.

Could you please explain about this.

thank you

regrads

yarlini

1 Like

I just want to say I like this website, I learned a lot from all of you.
you know, from GRE to TOEFL, when I was preparing for these two exams, it is really helpful.

1 Like

Best wishes,
Joseph Chih

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for interesting topic and usefull expression
I think look is verb and look is adjective
for example : I see your eyes

thx

1 Like

Hi,

‘Look’ is verb and a noun but not an adjective:

She looked (verb) at me. She gave him a friendly look (noun).

Alan

1 Like

Hi alan

He had reached this high government position despite the fact that he had been blind from birth.

On this stentance “despite the fact that he had been blind from birth” , I could not understand the meanings.

Could you please explain about this.

thank you

regrads

yarlini

1 Like

Dear Yarlini,

I am not Alan but the sentence means that he was a blind man from his birth but he tried so much and he reached a high position in the government.

P.S: I do apologies Alan for answering instead of you.

Mixmixi

1 Like

what I call or write? the message which I have recieved from you is pure English language 100% , I thank you very much dear Sir Alan Twin.
I will be happy if you had been reading my topic about using the article including my theory and notice.

1 Like

Dear Alan :
I want you yourself to examine my style in writing and to say your own notice.
2- how can I get a copy of your great book in grammar? now I am in place too distance in the desert , I am busy in work , shall you help me to get only one copy? frankly I am very intersting in your method to learn English through story
best regard … MMA

1 Like

hi sir , thanks for your excplanation irealy undersand among all words that you spoak about like see , look and apear , others , remeber and memorize and usualy i used during my conversation , thanks alot see uoy next time

1 Like

Hi Alan,

I have one quetion. What deos (It occurs like this) mean?

Have a nice day.

Ali

1 Like

Hi Fugitif,

This means: It happens this way.

Can you tell me where you found the sentence?

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan and everyone !
I haven’t written for months but that doesn’t mean I was not attracted to discuss different issues again.

Alan, provided that one of the paragraphs of your article begins with the collocation “It occurs like this …”, I think Fugitif took it from there.It is one of the last paragraphs :

It occurs like this: The country is experiencing a downturn in the economy and the future looks bad… and so on. Thank you !

1 Like