Reduced Adverb Clauses Grammar

Hi :wave:

I read a book and i don’t know the sentence gammar: “Founded and headquartered in Paris, the company is currently under the direction of CEO Martin Oliveira”.

Is “Founded and headquartered in Paris” a Reduced Adverb Clauses? and how the whole structure is?

sorry because my english is not fluent.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to our forum. The sentence you have posted does not meet the requirements of reduced adverb clauses because it is in passive voice. Only sentences consisting of two clauses in active voice can be reduced. For example: As soon as Jenny finished her essay she turned on the TV. This sentence can be changed to: After finishing her essay Jenny turned on the TV. Or: Upon finishing her essay Jenny turned on the TV. Please let me know if this makes sense.

2 Likes

Thank you for your support! :grin:

It sounds not makes sense!
The example seem adverb clause of time, and that confused me.
How to distinguish them? :thinking:

2 Likes

This should read “It does not makes sense”.

Well, maybe it helps if you tell me more about your reading and writing habits. How much time do you spend reading every day?

2 Likes

Torsten, in order to meet the requirements of a reduced adverb clause, the subject of the adverb clause should implicitly or explicitly be the same as the subject of the main clause. The voice of the clause, in my opinion, does not matter if the syntax is correct.

Founded and headquartered in Paris, the company is …” (Acceptable)
Having been founded and headquartered in Paris, the company is …”
On having been founded and headquartered in Paris, the company is …”
The company having been founded and headquartered in Paris, the company is …” (“The company having been founded and headquartered in Paris, it is …”)

I’d like you to review and clarify the position, Torsten.

3 Likes

I usually listen and read more than writing.
I will enhance my writing skills.

Actually, I am preparing for the TOEIC Listening & Reading test. During practice, I love English and want to improve my English skills in general. The sentence encounters on my practice book.

And Thank you, Anglophile!

3 Likes