Possessive 's' (Unit 6)

hello,

the blu one is the short form of IS, He’s going to school/ He is going to school
the red coolr is possessive case like, shara’s childreen very qeuit.

regards,

That “s” is in different colors because it has different functions or meaning, the red one is used to talk about possession, things that belong to someone and is used next to the noun who belongs the things; while the blue one is the abbreviated form of the verb “to be” conjugated in third person.
Please let me know my mistakes. Thanks!

Hi Trosten and Team:

The blues express the verb TO BE and wherease the reds express the POSSESSIVE CASE.

Hi Mr. Toreston,
“s” is used in two different forms. First is as possesive (red) and the other is as a short form of the verb “is” (blue).
Thanks

Dear Torsten.
I´m very happy to receive the lesson number 6. Thanks so much for your amazing course!
Your asked me why is the “s” some times red and sometimes blue?
Let me, please, say you my explanation. As I can see blu´s “s” that appear in he´s and she´s it is the short form of personal profiles in this case is: “he is” and “she is” respectivily. Whereas red´s “s” that appear in the expressions: - Her husband´s name is Frank - Her daughter´s name is Sarah. - Sarah´s boyfriend is an accountant. It´s a possessive adjetive, this mean pertaining to or expressive of possession.
Grace and peace from God the father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
With respect, Angelu.

Dear Torsten

Thanks for Unit 6

For the blue is berb " be "

for instand
she is …short from is she’s
It is …short from is It’s

For red one is possessive case
for excample

Tony’s hat is blue
Antony is my frined he is married his wife’s name is julai

Thanks

best reagard
sidala

Dear Torsen,

I really appreciate to recieve your lessons every week.Thank you for helping us to improve our English skills.
I thing too that the blue " s" is the short form the verb to be in the present tense and the red one is for the possessive form.
Regards,
Athia

Hello Torsten,
I’m so sure that the blue “s” express the verb to BE or BE, and the red express the POSSESSIVE CASE. Please I was a little absent mind to send you my reply sincerely.
Best Regards!!!
davood javadi

Dear Torsten.
I´m very happy to receive the lesson number 6. Thanks so much for your amazing course!
Your asked me why is the “s” some times red and sometimes blue?
Let me, please, say you my explanation. As I can see blu´s “s” that appear in he´s and she´s it is the short form of personal profiles in this case is: “he is” and “she is” respectivily. Whereas red´s “s” that appear in the expressions: - Her husband´s name is Frank - Her daughter´s name is Sarah. - Sarah´s boyfriend is an accountant. It´s a possessive adjetive, this mean pertaining to or expressive of possession.
Grace and peace from God the father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
With respect, javadi

Dear Torsten and everyone
Could you show me how to use these words" speak, tell, say" in a particular context.
Sometime i have trouble with using these words i don’t know when i should use one of them

Hello Tescoco,

There have been a number of discussions about these words on the forums.
If you enter the words:
speak tell say
in the Google search box at the top of this webpage, then click on ‘Forum search’ (not ‘Google search’) you should find a number of useful threads.

Nice example Torsten,
I think it was pretty clear for all the online learners!

I would like to say that I agree with Albert from the Democratic Republic of Congo: you (and your team) are doing a great job to teach people how to improve their English, and it’s for free!
Thanks, keep up the good work!!!

Hi Torsten

I understand that,

H’s name is Rohit. - ‘s’ express that Possessive
H’s a student. - ‘s’ express that short form of is

am I right ?

Best regards
vijay

the red one is possisive (s) and the blue one is the contraction
form of (is).

Dear Torsten, I think

the blue ones are shpr varant of to be verb

the red ones are possessives

Best,
Gayane

the red marked are possessive and the blue are be verb

Hello, Torsen,

I’m very glad to learn the lessons you sent to me by email. Thank you very much!

The possesive ‘s’ is in red letter. ‘s’ in blue letter stands for predicative verb ‘is’ .

In addition, I have been practicing listening and I find a minor mistake in Number 178). A row of tippie tents
In the first sentence ‘There no shadows in the picture.’, ‘are’ is omitted after ‘There’.

BTW, I like the progress report very much. I can see my progress every day. Thank you!

i just want to ask if we can teach these kind of lessons that are related to phonetic pronunciation in grammar for example to give rules and cases where the s pronunced s or iz or z …and the same for the final ed. …d or id or t…i wondered if we can teach these lessons in grammar …plz im waiting for you reply

Hello,

Sometimes it is possible to determine general rules for punctuation, but equally very often it isn’t. It is very irregular in both spelling and pronunciation.
Your question reminds me of an old poem called ‘Why English is So Hard’.

We’ll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes.
Then one fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of mouse should never be meese,
You may find a lone mouse or a whole nest of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn’t the plural of pan be called pen?
The cow in the plural may be cows or kine,
But a bow if repeated is never called bine,
And the plural of vow is vows, never vine.

If I speak of a foot and you show me your feet,
And I give you a boot would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth, and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn’t the plural of booth be called beeth?

If the singular’s this and the plural is these,
Should the plural of kiss ever be nicknamed keese?
Then one may be that and three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural would never be hose,
And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.

We speak of a brother, and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren,
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim,

So the English, I think, you all will agree,
Is the queerest language you ever did see.

There are a number of other poems similar to this, all of them illustrating that sometimes rules just don’t work:
facebook.com/topic.php?uid=9 … topic=8407

in general, you are right I agree with your opinion