Please rate my essay-Group Study

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study with a group of students. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

A lot of people believe that studying individually is the right fit for them. They think that studying in groups can lead to distractions and a loss of focus from what is important. However, I believe there is much to be gained from studying in groups than studying alone and I will support my stance using the following reasons.
When studying in a group, one gets the chance to learn new things that they were not aware of. These may be facts, patterns, studying techniques, methods to remember figure or a myriad of other things. For instance, when I was in high school, I was a part of a study group for chemistry. I had a very hard time memorizing the periodic table and would usually either forget or shuffle the elements. While studying with my group, my friend offered to show me the abbreviations he uses to remember the positions of the elements in the periodic table. Using his method, I was successfully able to memorize the entire periodic table and remember it to this day. Therefore, study groups can help peers share learning techniques that benefits them and promotes the growth of the entire group.
Another advantage of studying in groups is that it facilitates the exchange of ideas among peers. Not everyone holds the same belief and everyone has different outlooks towards ideas and theories. When controversial ideas are read and discussed it promotes a healthy exchange of dialogue that opens up a persons’ mind to a different train of thought. Let us consider a study group discussing colonization and the impact it had on the society. A person argues that in its entirety colonization was a bad experience that has left the world divided while another person may argue the benefits that arose from the experience of a nation being colonized. Though one may not change their stance regarding the issue completely, it does help in understanding where the other person is coming from and studying in groups only leads to promoting the exchange of thoughts and views.
In conclusion, while studying in groups may lead to heated debates and sometimes are susceptible to distractions, their advantages far outweigh their drawbacks. What one could accomplish in a given time frame cannot amount to what a group of people can do in the same time.

3 Likes

Hi Deezee, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your essay. What exactly do you expect us to do with it? Do you want to read it or is your sole purpose to get a TOEFL score? What exactly do you want to achieve in life? Judging by your text your English is above average so I take it you use English to read articles and listen to podcasts?

1 Like

Hey! I wanted to know what score I could get on an essay like this in the TOEFL and where I could improve.

1 Like

So, all you are interested in is just your TOEFL score?

1 Like

Correction in the essay and points of improvement would really help

1 Like

Do you think you can compete with systems like GTP-3?

1 Like

GTP-3 seems to be a very intelligent AI system that has read everything available on the web and has a truckload of facts so it seems unlikely that I’d be able to compete with it.

2 Likes

On a good day you probably will be able to score between 24 and 28 points on the current TOEFL rating system. The question is how valuable will your TOEFL certificate be in a year or two? Do you really think that hierarchical and analogue structures like the TOEFL have any future?

1 Like

As I know, you should not use informal words such as “let us” in your essay. On top of that, you should paraphrase the introduction truly but as I see, you could not. However, I liked your structure and variety of language that you used in the rest of your essay.

2 Likes