My name is Gary, and I’m an ESL teacher in Madison, Wisconsin

Hi. My name is Gary, and I’m an ESL teacher in Madison, Wisconsin. Last fall, spring, and summer I taught English in Russia and plan to return at some point in the future for a longer stay. I love the Russian language (it’s MUCH better than English) and I’m working each day toward my goal of mastering it (however, I have a LONG way to go). Please feel free to drop me a line if you’d like.

Best wishes,
Gary

1 Like

Hi Gary!

I'm Zabi. Nice to meet you. Russian used to be taught in our schools 40-50 years ago. Nowadays there are only few people who speak it here. 
 Did you fall in love with the Russian language before or after your teaching session there?

Best wishes,
 Zabi
1 Like

Hi, Zabi. Thank you for writing. Actually, I fell in love with all things Russian when I was around 9 years old. I lived at the time in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Every year they would have a Folk Fair at the Arena. That year they had a dance troupe from the Soviet Union. That was the day my life-long passion began. However, life got in the way of this until around nine years ago when I purchased a Russian Language cassette course from a bookstore.

So, how long have you been studying English, Zabi?

1 Like

Hi Gary,

I’ve been learning English since childhood. I started at school by translating every word in the textbook. In the late 90’s I found British Council library and I began listening to cassettes and reading magazines. Two years ago I bought my notebook and discovered the Internet. About two months ago I installed Skype and since than I’ve been speaking with non-native to improve my communication skills. Starting with Jan 2011 I want to prepare for IELTS test.

This morning I came across this article about a new male school in Madison.

Could you explain the difference between a district school and a charter male school?
In what way ‘males will be provided with different opportunities’? What special privileges will the boys be granted in this programme?

1 Like

Hi. Wow, your English is exceptional. Great job!!! What tremendous perseverance!

I looked at the article you referenced. I hadn’t heard about this (but then again I don’t read the local papers - maybe I should occasionally). Though I’m unable to answer your questions from the article, I did notice two interesting things about this: it will be publicly funded and it will be for minority boys. In Madison (just guessing, now), this may mean boys from an African American or Hispanic background. It sounds a bit strange, and I can only guess at the reasons for such a school.

I wish you success with you IELTS preparation. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Gary

1 Like

Hi Gary,

Now, what did you mean by that?! In what ways is Russian better than English?
I am not a big fan of the Russian language if you haven’t guessed yet and no, there is no particular reason for that.

I hope you don’t mind me butting in on your conversation, but I couldn’t help overhearing what you said. :slight_smile:

Hi, Cristina. You’ve made a very good point here. I should have offered an important disclaimer prior to such a statement: “In my opinion”. Such matters are very subjective. May I ask what YOUR native language is?

1 Like

Gary – Of course you can. My native language is Romanian.

Zabi – By the way, I don’t recall ever hearing this name before. Are you of Hungarian descent perhaps?
(Please ignore my question if for any reason you just don’t want to answer it.)

Hi. Thank you. Your reply shed some light on the boys’ school issue.

I’ve read your post about Michael Thomas’ method and the Internet based course called Step-by-step you use to master Russian. Are there any other methods you recommend for learning a foreign language? How much time do you spend on studying?

Zabi

1 Like

Zabi is a nickname. In Farsi and Hebrew cultures it’s a male name.

1 Like

Hi, Zabi. Currently I’m using Step-by-Step, Michael Thomas, a Russian textbook (from Russia), and a Russian textbook (from the U.K.). I’m also working with the Rosetta Stone Russian software, which is very good! I also have the Rosetta Stone French program, but right now I’m focusing on Russian, as I hope to return there in the future to live/work (First Things First). However, my daughter speaks French and is planning a trip to Paris in 2012. She said I could come, and so I’m thinking about spending some time on this language next year. For many years my Russian study was hit or miss (I studied it intermittently). Now I am studying it on a daily basis. I would tell you the amount of time I spend, but I don’t want to jinx myself.

Bye for now,
Gary

1 Like

Hi, Gary!
I had to look ‘jinx’ up in the dictionary.
I suppose you already read short stories or novels in Russian. So, who’s your favorite author?
Zabi

1 Like

Hi, Zabi. Actually, I haven’t read any stories/novels yet in Russian. I’m still trying to acquire a basic proficiency with the language. How about you? Have you read any stories/novels in English?

1 Like

Hi, Zabi. Today in one of my classes (at the ESL Institute) we talked about New Year’s Resolutions. I shared an article with my students that I found on the Internet (it’s a bit on the “jinxing oneself” topic that we touched on before). Please let me know what you think of this.

Gary

Shut up! Announcing your plans makes you less motivated to accomplish them.
By Derek Sivers (2009-06-16)

Shouldn’t you announce your goals, so friends can support you?

Isn’t it good networking to tell people about your upcoming projects?

Doesn’t the “law of attraction” mean you should state your intention, and visualize the goal as already yours?

Nope.

Tests done since 1933 show that people who talk about their intentions are less likely to make them happen.

Announcing your plans to others satisfies your self-identity just enough that you’re less motivated to do the hard work needed.

In 1933, W. Mahler found that if a person announced the solution to a problem, and was acknowledged by others, it was now in the brain as a “social reality”, even if the solution hadn’t actually been achieved.

NYU psychology professor Peter Gollwitzer has been studying this since his 1982 book “Symbolic Self-Completion” - and recently published results of new tests in a research article, “When Intentions Go Public: Does Social Reality Widen the Intention-Behavior Gap?”

Four different tests of 63 people found that those who kept their intentions private were more likely to achieve them than those who made them public and were acknowledged by others.

Once you’ve told people of your intentions, it gives you a “premature sense of completeness.”

You have “identity symbols” in your brain that make your self-image. Since both actions and talk create symbols in your brain, talking satisfies the brain enough that it “neglects the pursuit of further symbols.”

A related test found that success on one sub-goal (eating healthy meals) reduced efforts on other important sub-goals (going to the gym) for the same reason.

It may seem unnatural to keep your intentions and plans private, but try it. If you do tell a friend, make sure not to say it as a satisfaction (“I’ve joined a gym and bought running shoes. I’m going to do it!”), but as dissatisfaction (“I want to lose 20 pounds, so kick my ass if I don’t, OK?”)

1 Like

Hi, Gary. I’ve read few and among my favorite are The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, A Room with a View by E.M. Forster. I’d like to read something written by Zadie Smith. What are your favorite books?

1 Like

It may be true that announcing one’s plans makes people less motivated to accomplish them. It doesn’t work for me, though.
Just thinking about achievements makes me cringe as I’m averse to failure. So, by speaking about my future plans I gain a sense of freedom from the grip of fear of failure.
Besides, I’m a talkative person and keeping an exciting project to myself would put some pressure upon me. I like to share and get feedback. Like everyone else I need supportive friends but a sneer here and there doesn’t affect my determination.
Also, my friends remind me that I should walk the talk, so again being open about my plans is likely to help me achieve my goals.
I guess it depends on the individual. We should try to find what works best for each of us.

Zabi

1 Like

Wow! You’re better read in English than I (at least in recent years). When I was younger I read “Emma” (by Jane Austin), which I really enjoyed. I also read the major Russian authors (translated into English, unfortunately). When I read now, it’s for relaxation. My all time favorite writer is Agatha Christie. I’ve also read some phenomenal American Western writers. To be frank, I’ve never even heard of Zadie Smith. Also, I’ve never read anything by Henry James, but I have enjoyed reading WILLIAM James (the “Father of Psychology”).

1 Like

Wow!!! What a phenomenal mastery of the English language you have, Zabi. Amazing! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Your point is very welcome and very well taken. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. For me, however, it’s exactly the opposite. If I don’t “shut up” and “just do it”, the odds of my accomplishing a particular goal are practically nil.

I don’t see how I can help you with the English language, Zabi, since you probably write it better than 60% of all Americans, but if you ever need any assistance with pronunciation, it would be my privilege to be your coach.

Gary

1 Like

Thank you.

Merry Christmas!

Zabi

1 Like