Don't you dare jinx them!

Hello!

Does ‘‘jinx’’ give the virtual meaning of ‘‘envy’’? As in “Don’t you dare jinx them”?

Jinx me!

1 Like

No; I see no connection. Nor do I have any idea what a ‘virtual meaning’ is.

1 Like

Jinx:
Bring bad luck to; cast an evil spell on…
The play is jinxed.

Jinx me:
Bring me bad luck.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes I do undrstand what you meant. In this case ‘‘envy’’ is a part of it. Because if we mix ‘‘envy’’ along with ‘‘jealousy’’… there… people would jinx people.

Right, Beee ?

1 Like

In my opinion, that’s still wrong, Puppet.

Although feelings of jealousy and envy might make you want to junx someone, the word ‘jinx’ simply doesn’t mean anything like ‘envy’.
I

1 Like

But do we ever use it in affirmative imperative like that? Why would I ask someone to bring me bad luck?
Maybe the more natural way to use it is:
You jinxed me!
Don’t jinx me.

1 Like

That’s more usual, yes, Tort.

The only scenario I can imagine when you would use the phrase ‘jinx me’ is as a gesture of defiance (almost like a dare).

You don’t like what I’ve done? Jinx me, then. See if I care!

1 Like

Yes, I follow. Please have look at the this;

If Rick hadn’t jinxed me, I would have bowled a lot better.

‘‘have bowled a lot better’’ What is that refer to? Is it something has to do with gambling?

1 Like

No, it’s a game involving bowling. Possibly cricket or baseball.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Not baseball; cricket or bowling (which is a sport in itself).

1 Like

Maybe ‘bowled’ as it came from the noun ‘‘bowl’’ so we suppose that people would use it for any thing helps to ‘‘swing’’.

Thank you. Understood!

1 Like

No, we wouldn’t use it for anything that ‘swings’. Unless you can supply context to the contrary, your example sentence refers to just the two sports of cricket or bowling.

1 Like

Hi,

I just can’t supply further…

But convinced! ‘to bowl’ namely for that sentense was merely for cricket or bowling.

Thank you, Mister Micawber.

1 Like