My first steps in English

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

DearYuri,

How are you? I’m looking forward to talking to your young students. Ask them if they know the word youngster? young has 51 synonyms and see this for teenager:
Synonyms for teenager
adolescent
juvenile minor youngster youth stripling teen sweet sixteen teenybopper From: Dictionary.com

Please, join us in our Saturday chat. The topic will be “Interesting Things”. -:slight_smile:

Have a great Saturday.

José Sarto Silva

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hello, dear Urs!

Of course we remember you and our meeting at Mr Zverev’s. We remember that we sang a Russian song for you, and you and Mr Zverev sang an English song for us. Also we ate tangerins, Swiss Chocolate and Russian cake. We washed food down with good Indian tea.
Now we look like this. We are sending you a picture.

Take care,
Lena, Nastya, Tanya, Nima, Bayskhalan, Galya, Sasha, Kirill, Dulma, Zhenya and Sultim

Hello Jose!

We are trying to send you a message but we are facing some probs with Internet at school. Hope tomorrow it will be OK.

Looking forward to getting in touch with you.

Take care,
Yuri

Hello Jose,

Nice to meet you here on the Forum.

You asked us who youngsters are. We think that they are young girls and boys. And teenagers are boys and girls whose age ends with teen. It means that they are 13-19 years old.

We are not teenagers yet. We are 10-11 years old. But time flies very fast, and very soon we wiil become teens.

Best wishes,
5th A, B and V Forms

Hi friends from Russia,

Ihope that you’re doijng fine.

Here’s a short message.

See you this coming Tuesday.

José Sarto Silva

Hello everyone

Many thanks for your post with the foto - it’s very nice to recognise you all, and many many thanks for your greatings:)!

I’m late with my reply, I know!
Please forgive me, but I was quite busy these days - at work we took part in an architecture competition which we gave in second to last monday and this brought some overtime.

Then, we had our concert with my choir last weekend, which meant more rehearsals.

Last but not least, my son Tobias had to finalise his diploma thesis last weekend too, and I helped him by reading it through and showed him where he could do some improvements in wording, logic and how to illustrate it. He gave it in today - finally!

He started with a small scale prototype in June:

Before he began to build “the real thing” I helped him with the drawings on my computer before the summer holidays. This schema shows two different kinds of his so called “Cheiroballistra”, an ancient Greek / Roman sort of weapon (not a crossbow but something similar).

And here you can see what it looked like in the end:

To find out how fast the arrow flew he borrowed a special camera that makes 1’200 pictures per second - and there he was: 30 metres per second does his arrow and can be shot over a distance of about 40 metres.

In the end, it turned out to be quite heavy, over 10 kilograms - so it wouldn’t be easy to run around in a wood hunting for rabbits…

And it doesn’t look that old, does it? In ancient times the used to build it in forged iron, wood and leather - he prefered aluminium. No way that he could have learnt how to forge to perfection in the given time!

He got quite a lot of help by the School Mechanic and his Physics Teacher too. Otherwise, he told me, he hadn’t been able to complete it.

There’s one question left:
How come that boys are interested in such things? Hmm, difficult to answer… but don’t worry: He’s not a fierce kind of guy, but quite the opposite: really very kind:)! And most importantly: the main reason that he chose to construct that Cheiroballistra was because he might become a mechanic ingeneer in the future. So, why not try that out this way for a start?

So, next time I’ll be back with the fotos and the story about our train-ride which brought us to a pass by the name of Bernina, on 2308 metres over sea leve - promissed!

Have a nice day:)

Urs

Hello Lena, Nastya, Tanya, Nima, Bayskhalan, Galya, Sasha, Kirill, Dulma, Zhenya and Sultim,
hello Yuri

Please listen to my recording.

Have a nice time!

Urs

Dear friends,

It was a real pleasure being able to see your faces this morning.

Talk to you next Tuesday afternoon.

Enjoy your English classes.

José Sarto Silva

Dear friends,

It was a real pleasure being able to see your faces this morning.

Talk to you next Tuesday afternoon.

Enjoy your English classes.

José Sarto Silva

P.S. I’d like to record my message,but I’m dealing with some technical problems. Finally, I beg your pardon as I said Yuri have… argh…-:frowning: BIG, TERRIBLE mistake and,had I noticed it before, I would not have sent it without correcting some mistakes. tks again. -:slight_smile:

Hello Urs and Jose,

It is nice to talk with you again. Thank you for your recordings and pictures. It is very interesting to have friends from Brazil and Switzerland.

We hope to get to know more interesting things about your countries and about their culture and traditions. Also we hope to have more time to write you our messages.

We are looking forward to talking to you again.

Take care,
the 7th Grade students

Dear friends,

Here I go again, as today is a very especial day.

Have a good Wednesday night and a great Thursday.

JoséSartoSilva

Hello Jose,

We were glad to hear you voice. We guess that you are a very kind person.

Congratulations on your passing exams for the master degree. Our teacher is very proud of you. We would like to have such friends as Mr Zverev has.

We attend English Club at school two times a week. We do our homework and after that we have some fun.

We are looking forward to your new messages.

Best wishes,
Petya, Vika, Karina, Yuma, Rada, Katya, Ira, Sveta, Nastya, Kolya, Nikita, Syrena, Artyom

Dear young friends from Russia,

Thanks for your kind message. You report aroused me the wish of talking about the above topic. And I hope that you will agree with my reasoning.
Just to arouse your interest in the language, look up the meanings of the verb ‘to arise’ and ‘to arouse". "To arouse’ is a regular verb, while ‘to arise’ is an irregular one. The past of arise is arose, which is a homophone of arouse. You’ll have plenty of time to learmore about the irregular verbs and homophones, homonyms and homographs during your English appreticeship/learning.
Have a great weekend as well a new and joyful week.
Bye for now.

José Sarto Silva

Hello Jose and Urs,

How are you?

Today we have read and discussed an Indian fable about 6 blind men and an elephant. All men approached the elephant from different sides. The first man came up to the side and said that it was a wall. The second approached a tusk and decided that it is a spear. The third one touched a trunk and declared it was a snake. The fourth man embraced a knee and said that it was a tree. The fifth blind man touched a ear and decided that it was a fan. The six man pulled the elephant’s tail and declared it a rope.

This story teaches us to appproach the problem from different sides. Have you read it?

Hear you soon.

Take care,
Aryuna, Dari, Vlad and Zorigma

Dear friends from Russia,

Thanks for your message,and my congrats for your beautiful story as well. Forgive me,but it was a new one. ha! I don’t remember listening to it during my first years of school.
Good job, to say the least.

Talking about the two sides, I’d like to add two more examples. So, please listen to my message.

Hugs and my best wishes.

José Sarto Silva

Dear young Russian friends,

Today, I’d like to tell you something about animation.

I hope you like it.

My best wishes.

José Sarto Silva

Dear young friends from Russia,

How are you? I’m sure that you’re doing fine.

I’d like to talk about animation today.I hope thatyoumay like it.

Hugs.

José Sarto Silva