My first steps in English

Dear friends,

Here goes my first message.

If you have any trouble understanding my ‘proficient’-:slight_smile: English, I believe that Yuri will be able to help you.

I will be waiting for any question of yours, so feel free to ask me everything/anything you would like to.

I hope to keep talking to you for a long time.

Bye for now.

José Sarto

Hello Jose,

Thanks a lot for your so big and full of interesting things letter. We are glad to meet such an unusual person like you. We understand that it is very important to learn English through our whole lives.

Now we know much about you and your family. Please, give a big hello to your wife and to your two daughters. We are sure that you are a great husband and father. We have just marked the Father’s day in Russia and we would like to send our greetings too. By the way, tell us please when the Father’s day is in Brazil?

We are going to pass our exam on English tomorrow and now we are training to write a letter. We hope that it will help us very much. The length of our letter should be from 100 to 150 words. Surely, we will count how many words we will write to you.  We know that Brazil has beaten Croatia and we are glad for you. We promised Mauricio to root for Brazilian team and he promised us to root for ours. Except the case if they meet each other.

Who do you think is going to become the winner? Did you watch the match between Spain and the Netherlands? Such a pity that Spain lost 5 – 1! Do you think so?
We are afraid that our letter counts more than 150 words.  So we should say you good-bye.

Take care,
Your new friends

To my new Russian friends,

I’m back with some comments on the last message of yours.

Good morning and I wish I can talk to you tomorrow night.

Last,but not least, have a great week. And keep practicing English as much as possible.

lol LOL lol (Do you know this acronym?)

My best regards,

José Sarto de Almeida Silva

My new friends,

My newest Speak Up has an article “The Brazilian World Cup: Love it or Leave it?”, written by Karl Keppler, its director.

It is a long text, so I’m going to read it, maybe, in two parts.

Its vocabulary is 'lower intermediate", but Yuri will be able, capable of helping you any time you may need it.

Again, thanks for your attention, and have a great, successful week.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

Here comes the final part of “The Brazilian…”

Again, have a great week.

José Sarto

To my newest friends,

This article is “Modern Russia - Where money worship meets Soviet nostalgia”. By Manadezhda Petrova, Copyrights 2013 World Crunch in Partnership with Kommersant, so I think there’s no bias from the Brazilian team of Speak Up, issue # 322. I hope you like it.

Best of luck in your English studies.

José Sarto

Dear friends,

I’m totally ashamed of having neglected yesterday’s night chat.

Next time, I will WRITE ABOUT IT EVERYWHERE…

I wish you could forgive me.

My best regards.

José Sarto

Hello Everyone. Please allow me to introduce myself.
My name is mojtaba, i am from iran, born in karaj .
karaj is big city near capital of iran , Tehran .
I am a graduate in microbiology ten years ago. I have 10 years of experience in laboratory, I work in food material company in iran.

Hello Mojnia, Jose and everyone,

I haven’t heard from you for ages. How are you all doing? It’s everything OK with me.

Now we are very busy preparing for our examination composition. It will be like a pass for the state examinations in June. I don’t know what my result is going to be but I hope that I cope with all conditions. The conditions are to choose one topic from five proposed ones, write not less than 350 words on the topic and use facts and arguments from Russian and World Literature. I know that it will be very difficult to pass this exam at first attempt but it will prepare me for my future challenges.

What is the weather like at your place? In my place it is getting cold. What is other news over there in your countries? I hope that all things are going well!

Best wishes,
Andrey

Dear Andrey,

Thanks for being in touch.

So, then goes my news.

Keep studying English. Enjoy life, have fun, and keep smiling.

From your Brazilian friend

José Sarto

Hello everyone,

We have received a very interesting proposal from your teachers to start a project together with you. We hope that it will be extremely useful for developing our English speaking, writing, reading, lexical and grammatical skills.

First, we would like to ask you if you wouldn’t mind describing the most popular sports at your place. We know that Calcutta (Kolkata) is one of the biggest cities in the world and we guess that there are a lot of stadiums and other sport sites over there. Please, tell us what sports are popular in your city and at your school.

In our turn we are going to send you a report about the most popular sports in the Republic of Buryatia, which is a part of the Russian Federation.

We study at the 8th V Grade in Kyrenskaya school. Our town Kyren is located In a very beautiful Tunkinskaya valley. Our school is in the center of Kyren exactly. We have stable staff of students in our class but we are divided in two groups when we learn English. We are in Mr Zverev’s group.
In our group we have 12 students. Our names are Zhenya (a boy), Zhenya (a girl), Ulya (a girl), Marina (a girl), Vova (a boy), Ardan (a boy), Alyosha (a boy), Bair (a boy), Ayur (a boy), Polina (a girl), Bato (a boy) and Dari (a girl).

Our Internet connection is a bit slow that’s why there may be some difficulties with our voice recording. Our principal has promised us to solve the problem ASAP.

Now we have to complete our message and go for next classes.

We are looking forward to meeting with you.

Best wishes,

The 8th Grade

Hello students,
Greetings from Kyren High School, Buryatia, Russia.

Thank you for your letter, it is a great pleasure to make new friends.
The participants of this project are our students of 8 “V” grade, aged 13-14. The class is divided into 2 groups: the first group is Mr Zverev’s, the second is Mrs Torgoboeva’s.
The 2nd group consists of 10 girls. They are:
Saryuna
Alexandra
Alina
Erzhena
Selmeg
Ksenia
Ekaterina
Victoria
Dolgor
Julia

We are ready to start to work with you on this project. We wish you to pass your exams successfully.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

8 “V” grade and Svetlana Torgoboeva

[size=12]Dear Yuris’s students,
I beg your pardon for being lazy, and not able to send you my writing immediately, as I told Yuri last Sunday.
As you know, my country Brazil is known as the country of soccer, Carnival and samba.
Our soccer team was the world champion 5 times, the latest in the year 2002. But the team that conquered the world’s admiration was our 1970 group, which had Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo, Piazza, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Tostão and naturally Pelé. A fantastic team. Brazil has 27states, and each one has its local regional championship every year.
The last two decades were the time for the developing of volleybal, both female and female, which counted on the sponsorship of Banco do Brasil, our biggest federal bank. Both teams have world titles and the female achieved the Olympics Gold Medal in 2012, I believe.
The last two decades also have the dawn of beach soccer (male), -each team has 6 players - and our team has four or five world titles.
Cachoeira de Minas, the town where I live now, has a local amateur team of soccer, and this town has a an indoor court where local youngsters practice lounge soccer [(each team has 6 players, I believe -:)]. This local team participates in regional competitions, and from time to time I hear the news of its success.

Hello Yuri,
Your message is clear but the audio is very poor.

Hello everyone

I know I’ve been away from this thread for a very very long time now - but now I’m back:)

That’s me:

Maybe some of you remember me from last summer when I visited you in Kyren:).

And this is my son, Silvio:

Now, I would like to send you some pictures from a holiday I spent with my younger son, Silvio (fourteen) this summer.

We went up to the mountains, to a valley called Engadin in the South East part of Switzerland. Maybe you have heard of a resort called St. Moritz? There are ski championchips up there in winter and there is a bobsleigh course for races.

One day, we took a trip and went up to a mountain near St. Moritz. It is called Corvatsch.

From up there, one can enjoy a very beautiful sight over two lakes.

At the end of our tour, we suddenly found ourselves next to a small animal, a marmot - or “Murmeli” (in my own Swiss German language).

It’s small, only about 50 centimeters high, but looks very cosy, doesn’t it?

Are there any marmots in Siberia?

I don’t know if this one was so used to tourists that it only hid itself in a hole between the stones when we were only 3 meters away! We could even see it crouched inthere afterwards, with it’s head up and with two big eyes staring up at us… you could even think that it was either deaf or couldn’t smell properly anymore.
Because, you know, usually, the marmots are quite shy and warn each other with high piched whistles when someone turns up that can be heard very clearly from great distances…

Next time, I’m going to show you photos of a railway trip to the South of Switzerland we took another day during that vacation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I try to answer them asap.

And last but not least:
I listened in to some of your recent recordings:
A VERY BIG COMPLIMENT to all of you for your excellent English!!! Keep it up, it’s so nice to hear your voices from Kyren:):):).

Best wishes

Urs

Hello everyone

I know I’ve been away from this thread for a very very long time now - but now I’m back:)

That’s me:

Maybe some of you remember me from last summer when I visited you in Kyren:).

And this is my son, Silvio:

Now, I would like to send you some pictures from a holiday I spent with my younger son, Silvio (fourteen) this summer.

We went up to the mountains, to a valley called Engadin in the South East part of Switzerland. Maybe you have heard of a resort called St. Moritz? There are ski championchips up there in winter and there is a bobsleigh course for races.

One day, we took a trip and went up to a mountain near St. Moritz. It is called Corvatsch.

From up there, one can enjoy a very beautiful sight over two lakes.

At the end of our tour, we suddenly found ourselves next to a small animal, a marmot - or “Murmeli” (in my own Swiss German language).

It’s small, only about 50 centimeters high, but looks very cosy, doesn’t it?

Are there any marmots in Siberia?

I don’t know if this one was so used to tourists that it only hid itself in a hole between the stones when we were only 3 meters away! We could even see it crouched inthere afterwards, with it’s head up and with two big eyes staring up at us… you could even think that it was either deaf or couldn’t smell properly anymore.
Because, you know, usually, the marmots are quite shy and warn each other with high piched whistles when someone turns up that can be heard very clearly from great distances…

Next time, I’m going to show you photos of a railway trip to the South of Switzerland we took another day during that vacation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I try to answer them asap.

And last but not least:
I listened in to some of your recent recordings:
A VERY BIG COMPLIMENT to all of you for your excellent English!!! Keep it up, it’s so nice to hear your voices from Kyren:):):).

Best wishes

Urs

Hi Urs,

I’m very happy in seeing that you are back to this precious space. How are you? Please, last, but not least, join us again in our Skype Chats every Saturday at 6pm Moscow time.

Hugs.

José Sarto

Hello Urs!

That is the greatest piece of news that you are back! We were on holidays with my students for a week. Moreover there is a prob with the Internet connection. I am going to do my best to find a way to connect to you.

Maybe we’ll record our messages at school and send them to you from my home. Let us wait and see.

Since recently our session start at 4pm of Moscow time, Saturday. Please feel free to connect to us. We all have made a friend from England. He is a wonderful person.

Looking forward to talking to you, my dear friend.

Take care,
Yuri

Hello Yuri

Happily, I just read your reply and saw that tonight’s skype session is starting at 4pm instead of 6pm. Did you read my mail yet? I will skip the movie and be with you on skype about at 4.30 pm.
Hear you soon:)!

Hugs Urs

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.