married vs get married

I’m a little bit confused between a sentence that contain a verb and another sentence that contains the combination of two verbs. For example: married and get married. What is the difference usage between them?

‘married’ is an adjective. for example- john is married. here married is a characteristic of john.
but ‘get married’ is a verb. for example- he is getting married next week.or, she gets married with Abraham. note here get makes the word ‘married’ a verb. but only ‘married’ is an adjective.

Why did you say ‘married’ as an adjective? I think, “is married” is a verb in passive form. Am I wrong?

I am tired vs I get tired…:slight_smile:

You aren’t wrong. But neither is Rajesh. He just hasn’t taken into account all the tenses of the verb.

Do you mean both tenses are used in the same sentence, such as this:
I get married again next week, which is 12 years to the day since I married my first wife.

Or do you mean the phrases are interchangeable like this:
We married 12 years ago.
We got married 12 years ago.

Yes, I mean the second one. Could you explain further about the difference between that two sentences?

If you don’t mind, explain about these sentences too. Hehehe. Thanks in advance…

There is very little difference and most native English speakers would use them interchangeably.

‘We got married’ emphasises the action more.

As for Pipiii’s sentences:

I am tired: This is how I feel now.
I get tired: This is how I feel when I do something.

I am tired of writing.
I get tired when I write a lot.

From what i understand, we can choose whether to use simple verb (am tired, is married) or phrasal verb (get tired, get married). Am I right?

Yes, Salmonella. It usually comes down to the user’s preference.

Beeeneees: I am tired of writing.
I get tired when I write a lot.
I get tired ----- it means I am VERY tired? Thank you.

No, Pipiii,

It simply means ‘I become tired’

Many thanks to you, Beeesneees. :smiley:

The form is used quite often. For example, you can exchange ‘get’ for ‘become’ in all these:
If you eat a lot, you get full.
If you drink too much alcohol, you get drunk.
If you do a lot of exercise, you get thirsty.
If you go a length of time without food, you get hungry.
If something wonderful is about to happen, you get excited.
In the Winter you get cold.

Beeesneees, you make me more clear right now. Thanks again… :smiley:

Salmonela:
You make ME MORE CLEAR…OR You MAKE IT CLEARER OR You MAKE IT MORE CLEAR? According to you, which one is correct? thanks.

RockyHun, I also get confused to know which one is correct. Hope moderators could give their hand on this.

You make it clear. - there is no longer any doubt.
You make it clearer. - there is less doubt than there was, but some may still remain.
However:
You make it more understandable. - it is easier to understand (‘understandabler’ does not exist!)

Okay, now I know my sentence is not correct. Suppose I have to say “You make it clearer”. Thanks for your explanation. :smiley:

Don’t be surprised to hear native English speakers use ‘more clear’ in everyday conversation, Salmonella.
It’s done all the time.