married vs get married

Rajesh43 wrote as below:
“She gets married with Abraham.”
Is it OK?
I believe “She gets married to Abraham.” is correct.
Am I right?

Hi,

‘She is getting married to Abraham’ would be better.

Alan

Mr. Alan,
Can we use the preposition - ‘with’ with ‘married’ ?
Please comment

No, as I said, it is ‘to’.

Salmonella: Finally you put your screen picture…It’s nice…:slight_smile:

Yes. Since they already tagged myself with I’m here quite often :wink:, so I feel ashamed if I do not put my own avatar. Hehehe

No, Salmonella…I guess you feel ashamed to show your own picture, and put the cat avatar instead…hehehe…

1. ‘She got married to Abraham’
  2. ‘She married Abraham.’
    What is difference in meaning between the two sentences?

There is no significant difference. The first emphasises the action of getting married slightly.

Hi,

Don’t bite my hand off but I think you need a comma after ‘married’ as ‘getting married slightly’ could be misconstrued.

Alan

Beeesneees: “More clear” it is commonly used in daily conversation, it means it is not formally used? According to proper usage in British English Standard, we have to use “CLEARER”?

Did you read message #20?
It is used, but not correct.

Is this correct:

He was transferred - Explains the state
He got transferred - Explains the action that someone did this.

Regards,
Suresh

[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A landfill compactor[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thanks Torsten for the reply.

Then, another question:
He got transferred = He has been transferred.
— Correct ?

Regards,
Suresh

Hi Suresh,

If you want to keep the verb tense the same, then it would be this:

He got transferred. = He was transferred.

[color=darkblue]______________________________________________________________
[size=75]“No law can give power to private persons; every law transfers power from private persons to government.” ~ Isabel Paterson[/size]

Salmonella: Please do not mind…according to my opinion, what you wrote above: I also get confused to KNOW which one is correct, it’s better you wrote: I also get confused to distinguish which one is correct or not. Hopefully, I am not wrong. BTW, what’s the difference between “To Distinguish” and “TO Differentiate”?

Thanks Esl Expert.

Hi,

‘Distinguish’ suggests show a distinction between two or more. ‘Differentiate’ indicates point out the differences. '‘Distinguish’ in a way makes the differences more defined.

Alan

Thank you Prof Alan.